PDA

View Full Version : In this day and age, WTF is this BS?

Ed_Hitchens
06-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Go to site, read article. Click on video clip. Get a message like this:

http://i47.tinypic.com/34noeux.jpg

This is the internet, a type of global village, a platform for sharing news, information, and opinions. Can someone school me in why certain sites cannot (or will not) stream their content to ALL visitors? I can see some of the more oppressive regimes putting their foot down but this is nothing but a bloody video clip between US and Canada. Is someone seriously going to lose a few pennies of precious money or get jimmies seriously rustled over the streaming of a lousy video clip?

What gives?

mslman71
06-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Go to site, read article. Click on video clip. Get a message like this:

[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/34noeux.jpg[IMG]

This is the internet, a type of global village, a platform for sharing news, information, and opinions. Can someone school me in why certain sites cannot (or will not) stream their content to ALL visitors? I can see some of the more oppressive regimes putting their foot down but this is nothing but a bloody video clip between US and Canada. Is someone seriously going to lose a few pennies of precious money or get jimmies seriously rustled over the streaming of a lousy video clip?

What gives?

Copyright and licensing agreement issues maybe?

Ed_Hitchens
06-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Copyright and licensing agreement issues maybe?

No doubt, but there's a whole grey area out there and it seems they are determined to stick to the old models. It's frustrating that some sites will allow it while others don't. It's just a clip supplementing their article, and they still have ads generating revenue, etc. Some of this licensing stuff is busted.

RonFunarrol
06-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Move from Canada, don't think the signal can penetrate the ice frozen lines?

StressMonkey
06-04-2012, 07:14 PM
No doubt, but there's a whole grey area out there and it seems they are determined to stick to the old models. It's frustrating that some sites will allow it while others don't. It's just a clip supplementing their article, and they still have ads generating revenue, etc. Some of this licensing stuff is busted.

It's been the same story with DVD releases for many, many years. Some foreign discs you can watch and some you can't because they're only for a particular region. It sucks.

flairon
06-04-2012, 07:19 PM
when did canada get internet?

tsoden
06-05-2012, 04:32 AM
Move from Canada, don't think the signal can penetrate the ice frozen lines?

that was so funny I forgot to laugh... considering in april it was 30C for a week

tsoden
06-05-2012, 04:34 AM
when did canada get internet?

booourns with what statement. We don't live in igloos like most american's think we do... we like to call the ICE HUTS... and that thing you call electricity, we call fire.

sheesh....

hochspeyer
06-05-2012, 12:22 PM
... the one that always cracked me up was Scrabble on Facebook. US players cannot play with anyone else- just US players (I think that was the deal), while the rest of the world can play against the rest of the world because of copyright issues.

StressMonkey
06-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Canadians can stream Dexter from Netflix but Americans can't.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/27/idUS183489643320110727