PDA

View Full Version : Facebook?

50Female
06-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Hi- I am still looking around for a place to log but I am wondering if any of you have found a change in online forums lately? I joined a couple of forums years ago- one for weight loss and one for computer problems and it just seemed like a lot more people were using forums back then? Do any of you notice this? If so, I am wondering if people have stopped using forums to use Facebook? I personally don't do the whole Facebook thing and I can't see how I could keep an exercise journal on Facebook, but I don't know.

Anyway, I am just curious if any of you have noticed a change. Thank-you!

tmonkey
06-04-2012, 06:23 AM
Hi- I am still looking around for a place to log but I am wondering if any of you have found a change in online forums lately? I joined a couple of forums years ago- one for weight loss and one for computer problems and it just seemed like a lot more people were using forums back then? Do any of you notice this? If so, I am wondering if people have stopped using forums to use Facebook? I personally don't do the whole Facebook thing and I can't see how I could keep an exercise journal on Facebook, but I don't know.

Anyway, I am just curious if any of you have noticed a change. Thank-you!

There used to be a few more posters here. Some i miss others not so much.

dbx was talking about face book the other day but i am not a big fan myself.

Bando
06-04-2012, 07:16 AM
There used to be a few more posters here. Some i miss others not so much.

dbx was talking about face book the other day but i am not a big fan myself.

People who post their workouts on facebeook get deleted from my tweet list!

HairyScandinavian
06-04-2012, 01:08 PM
I lost a lot of my small local fishing forums/websites to Facebook and now they look at me when I'm nuts for not knowing the latest about who caught what and give me a tone when they say "it was on Facebook dude." I have a FB but don't log in much. I can't see losing anything like bb.com to FB though, it's a bit different dynamic. Here you converse with strangers for the most part in a purely online relationship whereas the smaller local type forums often consist of peeps that know eachother IRL.

NitrogenWidget
06-04-2012, 01:09 PM
People who post their workouts on facebeook get deleted from my tweet list!

I signed up with EndoMondo for my phone using my FB account.
I had no idea it posted my workouts automatically when I downloaded it at the bar. :)

My buddy told me it would take me 15 mins. to walk home I told him 10.

It took 12 but had I walked in a straight line I think it would of been 10.

I got FB comment on my phone from him about my walking, confused I went online & there was a lovely google map of my walk tracked by GPS & I was zig-zagging the whole way home. lol.

50Female
06-04-2012, 01:38 PM
I signed up with EndoMondo for my phone using my FB account.
I had no idea it posted my workouts automatically when I downloaded it at the bar. :)

My buddy told me it would take me 15 mins. to walk home I told him 10.

It took 12 but had I walked in a straight line I think it would of been 10.

I got FB comment on my phone from him about my walking, confused I went online & there was a lovely google map of my walk tracked by GPS & I was zig-zagging the whole way home. lol.

wow- I just looked up EndoMondo! So cool. I could have used that back in my running/rollerblading days!

Anyway, that is the part I don't understand about Facebook- if I was to keep a weight lifting log on it (even if I could.....) wouldn't only the people I know in real life be my "friends"?

Like, is there no Facebook equivalent to global online forums like this?

I have a Facebook account too and all I remember really is an endless stream of 'friends" details, like Suzy Q, who I don't even know that well, is now going out to eat ice cream. Like I really care, haha. I just can't see how keeping an exercise log on Facebook would work.

At the same time, I just wonder where all the people on global online forums have gone....

NitrogenWidget
06-04-2012, 02:00 PM
wow- I just looked up EndoMondo! So cool. I could have used that back in my running/rollerblading days!

Anyway, that is the part I don't understand about Facebook- if I was to keep a weight lifting log on it (even if I could.....) wouldn't only the people I know in real life be my "friends"?

Like, is there no Facebook equivalent to global online forums like this?

I have a Facebook account too and all I remember really is an endless stream of 'friends" details, like Suzy Q, who I don't even know that well, is now going out to eat ice cream. Like I really care, haha. I just can't see how keeping an exercise log on Facebook would work.

At the same time, I just wonder where all the people on global online forums have gone....

I'm a member on this.
Been tracking my workouts here.

http://www.fitocracy.com/

50Female
06-04-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm a member on this.
Been tracking my workouts here.

hmm thank you very much for posting that- it looks very interesting but not my thing. I keep thinking about EndoMondo- I go trail running sometimes and it would be lovely to have a record of my route!

ps- I had to remove your url as I don't have enough posts yet

crupiea
06-04-2012, 02:54 PM
i think it has more to do with the particular forums core users. They can really make or break the whole place.

If the core users are a bunch of jerks then it easy enough to run new people off to other sites.

I used to post on another site all the time but everytime i posted something they would say i was wrong. Didnt matter that i had way more knowledge or it was something clearly obvious, i was always wrong.

Then i started posting here and the core users had enough balls to actually point out to me why i was wrong all the time.

Reminds me of a girl I knew in the Navy. she had a super big head but never knew she had one until she joined the Navy. Then, she said, people pointed it out almost every day to her.

bodyhard
06-04-2012, 03:31 PM
People who don't use facebook are lame....

crupiea
06-04-2012, 04:16 PM

I look at it as people who dont use it are less exposed.

For some people that exposure and potential vulnerability it brings is no big deal, for others it can be a problem.

I have a face book account but every possible restriction for privacy is set to maximum because i dont want any information getting out that could be used against me.

i feel that way because for me at least, relationships end when people use the things I told them in confidence against me. When that happens, there simply is no way i can ever be friend or even family members with them again. i take my information security very serious.

Most people arent like this and I wish i were one of them.

i never post anything on my wall on facebook but only message people to where no one else can see it.

To be honest, you people know more about me then alot of my famile members do and all of my friends do.

There is some safety in anonymity but I do think about it when I post here.

If someone was diligent enough they could piece together everything about me from my posts here. Hopefully no one is that bored.

tmonkey
06-04-2012, 05:15 PM

maybe i'll have to give it a second look then

gray73
06-04-2012, 05:22 PM
I really like Facebook and the fact I can reach out and talk to hundreds of people in the blink of an eye. I keep in touch with family and friends who moved out of state and I also use it as a way to talk to my wife. Instead of a note on the fridge, it's a note on her wall or message in her inbox. She'll see it there for sure. Lol.
I've added a few people from here too and it's cool keeping up with everyone. I'm not ashamed to admit I like it and think it's a valuable tool.
It's not for everyone though...

so-tex
06-04-2012, 05:40 PM
I like Facebook. I have friends scattered all over the country. It is a good way to keep in touch.

tmonkey
06-04-2012, 06:29 PM
i like flickr

hochspeyer
06-05-2012, 12:27 PM
I post on here very seldom any more. Not because of certain "issues" (you don't just walk into Mordor), but because I use Chrome, and a few months ago something happened, and I cannot post while I'm on Chrome. And since I'm rarely NOT on Chrome, I don't post here very often.

50Female
06-05-2012, 12:34 PM
I post on here very seldom any more. Not because of certain "issues" (you don't just walk into Mordor), but because I use Chrome, and a few months ago something happened, and I cannot post while I'm on Chrome. And since I'm rarely NOT on Chrome, I don't post here very often.

hey- ty for letting me know that. I am on Chrome and have had no problems posting. But in the last month it seems to crash about once a day with first what seemed to be a really slow internet connection but I am now blaming Chrome. Anyway, I have not had problems posting per se, just with some sort of slowing down and freezing that I now do think is because of Chrome.