PDA

View Full Version : Is white rice "tolerable" for a clean bulk?

ar15master
06-03-2012, 02:25 PM
I've been staying away from white rice and choosing brown rice but i was wondering if it would make a big difference? I was watching a Jay Cutler documentary and he was eating a lot of white rice, and he was doing it to prepare for the Olympia, so is it different for everyone?

treezn
06-03-2012, 02:29 PM
doesn't matter. IIFYM.

Apex702
06-03-2012, 02:30 PM
White rice > Brown rice

dizi24
06-03-2012, 02:32 PM
There's nothing wrong with white rice. Brown rice is nice because it has more fiber (which is good, especially if you're lacking in fiber from other parts of your diet), but neither are particularly high in micronutrients and both have nearly identical macros.

I go with white rice because it tastes better and I have a lot of fiber from other parts of my diet. But both are great sources of carbs, and really cheap as well.

RetardedNinja
06-03-2012, 02:36 PM
There's nothing wrong with white rice. Brown rice is nice because it has more fiber (which is good, especially if you're lacking in fiber from other parts of your diet), but neither are particularly high in micronutrients and both have nearly identical macros.

I go with white rice because it tastes better and I have a lot of fiber from other parts of my diet. But both are great sources of carbs, and really cheap as well.

Brown rice tastes like chunky dirt.

ar15master
06-03-2012, 02:38 PM
So i shouldn't be worried about any insulin spike from white rice then

tlrmde
06-03-2012, 02:39 PM
There's no such thing as tolerable or intolerable foods. Whatever your goals, you can eat whatever you want provided your meeting your daily caloric and macronutrient requirements.

Do some reading in the nutrition stickies if you don't understand the concept.

Apex702
So i shouldn't be worried about any insulin spike from white rice then

If you're not diabetic, don't worry about it at all.

WonderPug
So i shouldn't be worried about any insulin spike from white rice thenIt sounds like you've been reading supplement marketing material or "articles" that are really just ads for supplement companies. Those information sources will try to mislead you and will generally provide totally incorrect information, all aimed at marketing their supplements.

Icons93
06-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Inb4 OP comes back and is 300 lbs heavier due to insulin spike .

ar15master
06-03-2012, 02:42 PM
It sounds like you've been reading supplement marketing material or "articles" that are really just ads for supplement companies. Those information sources will try to mislead you and will generally provide totally incorrect information, all aimed at marketing their supplements.
I've been looking at the higher glycemic index of white rice than brown rice...

WonderPug
06-03-2012, 02:43 PM
I've been looking at the higher glycemic index of white rice than brown rice...What's the relevance?

ar15master
06-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Inb4 OP comes back and is 300 lbs heavier due to insulin spike .
About your signature, you don't believe that do you? haha

ar15master
06-03-2012, 02:45 PM
What's the relevance?
Just that i thought it would make a difference, being 77

WonderPug
06-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Just that i thought it would make a difference, being 77Why? Because you don't like the number 77?

Icons93
About your signature, you don't believe that do you? haha

lol no I just thought it was really funny .

Apex702
I've been looking at the higher glycemic index of white rice than brown rice...

Read post #8

ar15master
06-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Why? Because you don't like the number 77?
No it's just higher than brown rice

Icons93
06-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Why? Because you don't like the number 77?

I hear it's quite unlucky ! , always best to go for a round number .

OP as he says GI means noting . Its an unrealistic concept abused by the media .

ar15master
06-03-2012, 02:49 PM
I hear it's quite unlucky ! , always best to go for a round number .

OP as he says GI means noting . Its an unrealistic concept abused by the media .
That's good because cooking brown rice takes forever and my family buys a lot more white rice.

WonderPug
06-03-2012, 02:50 PM
No it's just higher than brown ricePlease explain why you think it would matter.

ar15master
06-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Please explain why you think it would matter.
I Thought because of the insulin spike, and because it's not a complex carb. But you guys say it doesn't matter IIFYM

WonderPug
06-03-2012, 02:58 PM
I Thought because of the insulin spike...What made you think that?

It's vital that you learn to question information and not just accept it as true, especially when it comes in the form of advertising.

BBqChicken1
06-03-2012, 03:07 PM
OP, if you're going the route of avoiding insulin spikes, you should stop eating protein as it can spike insulin even more than carbs, or better not eat at all so your insulin doesn't suddenly 'spike'..

ar15master
06-03-2012, 03:07 PM
What made you think that?

It's vital that you learn to question information and not just accept it as true, especially when it comes in the form of advertising.
All the people who told me to avoid any kind of insulin boost, so yeah i accepted it because i didn't know any better, thanks for the help though

ar15master
06-03-2012, 03:08 PM
OP, if you're going the route of avoiding insulin spikes, you should stop eating protein as it can spike insulin even more than carbs, or better not eat at all so your insulin doesn't suddenly 'spike'..
I need protein though, I don't NEED a high glycemic food when i can substitute it was always my thinking. It's all about what fits the bill to me

WonderPug
06-03-2012, 03:09 PM
All the people who told me to avoid any kind of insulin boost, so yeah i accepted it because i didn't know any better, thanks for the help thoughFYI: Eating food, pretty much any food, will "spike" insulin.

ar15master
06-03-2012, 03:12 PM
FYI: Eating food, pretty much any food, will "spike" insulin.
Yeah, but it's about how much though

WonderPug
06-03-2012, 03:15 PM
Yeah, but it's about how much thoughIt depends on the total meal composition, but a meal without any carbs can increase serum insulin levels more than a meal with white rice, depending on a number of factors.

Anyway, it sounds like you might want to start understanding a bit about the mechanisms that regulate insulin secretion and thus I quote the following to get you started:

The mechanisms which regulate insulin secretion are far more complex. In short, GLUT2 glucose transporters facilitate the diffusion of glucose into beta cells (in islets of Langerhans of the pancreas). Subsequently, glucose is metabolized to ATP. This elevation in ATP levels (in absolute terms, as well as relative to ADP levels) promotes conformation changes in ATP-sensitive K+channels. As these channels close, the cell membrane becomes depolarized. Moreover, this opens cell-surface voltage-dependent Ca2+ channels. And, as Ca2+ levels rise in the cytosol, this facilitates insulin release.

BBqChicken1
06-03-2012, 04:07 PM
http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Lipolysis-Lipogenesis1.png

After meals, fat is deposited with the help of insulin. However, between meals and during sleep, fat is lost. Fat balance will be zero over a 24-hour period if energy intake matches energy expenditure.

ar15master
06-03-2012, 04:27 PM
http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Lipolysis-Lipogenesis1.png
That is awesome

c24lamp
06-03-2012, 04:35 PM
white rice is my main source of carbs in the off-season. ill do a few brown rice meals as well but i do not only stick with brown or whole wheat. if you're worried about faster digesting carbs then you can stick with the brown rice or sweet potatoes. as mentioned earlier insulin spike is all relative to what you are eating and when, etc..

Mrpb
06-03-2012, 07:40 PM
I also thought that brown rice is better because of the relatively lower Glycemic Load. The lower the better.

Diets rich in high-glycemic-index foods, which cause quick and strong increases in blood sugar levels, have been linked to an increased risk for diabetes, (5) heart disease, (6, 7) and overweight, (8, 9,10) and there is preliminary work linking high-glycemic diets to age-related macular degeneration, (11) ovulatory infertility, (12) and colorectal cancer. (13) Foods with a low glycemic index have been shown to help control type 2 diabetes and improve weight loss. Other studies, though, have found that the glycemic index has little effect on weight or health.
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/carbohydrates-full-story/index.html#glycemic-index

AlwaysTryin
06-03-2012, 08:22 PM
I also thought that brown rice is better because of the relatively lower Glycemic Load. The lower the better.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/carbohydrates-full-story/index.html#glycemic-index

Are you aware that GI is a measure of only CARBS and is complicated by fat and protein??

Mrpb
06-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Are you aware that GI is a measure of only CARBS and is complicated by fat and protein??

Yes. For comparison I assume the brown rice and white rice are eaten with the same protein and fat.

Much say though, the difference in GL between brown and white rice is fairly small. The fibers in brown rice make it the more nutritious food.

AlwaysTryin
06-03-2012, 09:11 PM
Yes. For comparison I assume the brown rice and white rice are eaten with the same protein and fat.

????

Mrpb
06-03-2012, 09:24 PM
????

When comparing the GL of white and brown rice I of course assume the rest of the meal is the same.

AlwaysTryin
06-03-2012, 09:44 PM
When comparing the GL of white and brown rice I of course assume the rest of the meal is the same.

You're missing the point. Look at what I quoted.

Rice is not JUST carbs, it has fat and protein in it.

Have you ever looked at what the conditions of the GI study was and what was used? I suggest you do.

GI =/= GL

SideSteal
06-03-2012, 09:47 PM
OP:

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

Read some James Krieger. He's got good things to say.

Mrpb
06-04-2012, 02:23 AM
You're missing the point. Look at what I quoted.

Rice is not JUST carbs, it has fat and protein in it.

Have you ever looked at what the conditions of the GI study was and what was used? I suggest you do.

GI =/= GL

Perhaps I'm missing the point but I'm not aware of it.

The GL of a portion of brown rice is 18, of white rice it's 23.
http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm

Both brown rice and white rice have about 3% protein and 1% fat. (number can depend on sort of rice you pick)

As far as I know the brown rice will cause a slightly lower blood sugar spike than white rice.

BBqChicken1
06-04-2012, 10:58 AM

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm

Both brown rice and white rice have about 3% protein and 1% fat. (number can depend on sort of rice you pick)

As far as I know the brown rice will cause a slightly lower blood sugar spike than white rice.

The question is, why do you care about such small details?

Mrpb
06-04-2012, 11:09 AM
The question is, why do you care about such small details?

Much say though, the difference in GL between brown and white rice is fairly small. The fibers in brown rice make it the more nutritious food.

YungKDaGawd
06-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Phil Heath eats white rice precontest; you're good bro

rob2093124
06-04-2012, 11:15 AM
..? it's barely more nutritious. some studies showed that even though brown rice has more micronutrients than white rice, the bioavailability isn't very high.
just eat which ever you like more because the differences aren't very significant.

read post #7
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144684791&highlight=brown+rice

Mrpb
06-04-2012, 11:25 AM
..? it's barely more nutritious. some studies showed that even though brown rice has more micronutrients than white rice, the bioavailability isn't very high.
just eat which ever you like more because the differences aren't very significant.

The brown rice I have has 6 grams of fiber. The white rice of the same brand has 0.5 grams.

That's why I said more nutritious.

rob2093124
06-04-2012, 11:34 AM
The brown rice I have has 6 grams of fiber. The white rice of the same brand has 0.5 grams.

That's why I said more nutritious.

I guess you can say it's more nutritious if having more fiber falls under your definition of "more nutritious". i would go with what i prefer to eat since it's such a small difference.

Mrpb
06-04-2012, 11:50 AM
I guess you can say it's more nutritious if having more fiber falls under your definition of "more nutritious". i would go with what i prefer to eat since it's such a small difference.

Well if you don't find fibers very important I can understand that. For me the the difference in fiber is quite large. I like to get a lot of fibers in my diet, it benefits bowel movements and it's also linked to decreased risk for colon cancer.
http://www.b bc.co.uk/sn/humanbody/truthaboutfood/healthy/transit.shtml (space between b bc should be removed)

PS. it's also possible to buy white rice and basmati rice with higher fiber content.

tden99
06-04-2012, 11:56 AM

You are missing the fact that your insulin spike will just be longer and less drastic (probably not very different though for such similar foods). You aren't wasting any of that glucose It will be in the blood at some point in order to be utilized and will induce insulin to some degree. That is why diabetics may need to watch GI and large meals, because they can't process large spikes but for most of us its ok.

Also, it does not increase insulin resistance to eat high GI foods or very large singular meals, but insulin resistance is mostly caused by obesity, age, genetics, lack of exercise, and bad cholesterol levels.

BBqChicken1
06-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Well if you don't find fibers very important I can understand that. For me the the difference in fiber is quite large. I like to get a lot of fibers in my diet, it benefits bowel movements and it's also linked to decreased risk for colon cancer.
http://www.b bc.co.uk/sn/humanbody/truthaboutfood/healthy/transit.shtml (space between b bc should be removed)

PS. it's also possible to buy white rice and basmati rice with higher fiber content.

So, if I got all my fiber requirements for the day, why would I worry about it?

Mrpb
06-04-2012, 12:15 PM
You are missing the fact that your insulin spike will just be longer and less drastic

Not missing anything. Personally I do find selecting lower GL foods interesting because it has been linked with several health benefits.

Diets rich in high-glycemic-index foods, which cause quick and strong increases in blood sugar levels, have been linked to an increased risk for diabetes, (5) heart disease, (6, 7) and overweight, (8, 9,10) and there is preliminary work linking high-glycemic diets to age-related macular degeneration, (11) ovulatory infertility, (12) and colorectal cancer. (13) Foods with a low glycemic index have been shown to help control type 2 diabetes and improve weight loss. Other studies, though, have found that the glycemic index has little effect on weight or health.

These experiments show that elevations in insulin produce increased hunger, heightened perceived pleasantness of sweet taste, and increased food intake.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3894001

So, if I got all my fiber requirements for the day, why would I worry about it?

I don't know at which point eating more fibers doesn't add benefits. The link I included shows benefits of 50 grams of daily fiber. I'm not getting that daily. That's one of the reason I choose rice with higher fiber content.

ar15master
06-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Phil Heath eats white rice precontest; you're good bro
Yep, that was my WTF?! point seeing him and jay cutler eat it

WonderPug
06-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Yep, that was my WTF?! point seeing him and jay cutler eat it

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=376210.0;attach=41 3370;image

ar15master
06-04-2012, 02:46 PM
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=376210.0;attach=41 3370;image
Yeah jay said he loved in-n-out and he hits it up after competion haha