PDA

View Full Version : Looking to gain some muscle mass. Please check my calculations!

New2Building
06-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Hi guys,

Ive been on and off the gym for around 2years now.

I have good overall definition but would like to now get serious about it all.

From the sticky I have got the following:

BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] + 5

for me this gives a BMR of 1957.

Now I am not sure what my activity factor should be. I have a desk job but aim to hit the gym hard around 3times a week. Would 1.5 be good to use?

So then I have 1957 x 1.5 = 2936?

Now considering I want to gain muscle do I need to increase this further by around 10%? Giving me lets say 3300 cals per day?

Have I done the above correct?

On a side note roughly how much protein should I be consuming with the above?

ironwill2008
06-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Have I done the above correct?
Based on what you posted, ~ 3300 looks reasonable.

If you're eating considerably less than this now, don't attempt to jump right up to 3300; increase your food intake a few hundred cals/day for a week, then add more, etc., so that you're up to your req. in a few weeks. This will give your digestive system a chance to get accustomed to the increase gradually.

On a side note roughly how much protein should I be consuming with the above?

One gram protein/pound body weight is the generally-accepted gold standard, putting you at ~200 gms/day.

WonderPug
06-03-2012, 11:32 AM
3,300 calories per day a good starting point. Monitor bodyweight, the mirror and the way clothing fits weekly or biweekly, adjusting as needed.

New2Building
06-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I currently don't do any cardio as I lose weight really quick and don't want to right losing muscle.

But having 3300 calories per day would I need to add in some cardio to the mix?

Also just to be clear is will b 3300 on workout and rest days right?

Finally I have no idea how I can fit in so man cals per day. Any recommendations on whats good to eat? Should I add a mass gainer in if I fall short?

Thanks.

ironwill2008
06-03-2012, 12:13 PM
But having 3300 calories per day would I need to add in some cardio to the mix?

CV exercise is good for promoting CV health, but not so good for anything else. A couple of 20 minute LISS sessions per week, done right after weight training, should keep your innards in good stead.

Also just to be clear is will b 3300 on workout and rest days right?
Yes. Your body requires the same amount of macros/micros whether you train that day or rest. Plus, it's much easier/simpler to just eat to the same macro totals every day rather than to attempt to micro-manage.

Finally I have no idea how I can fit in so man cals per day. Any recommendations on whats good to eat? Should I add a mass gainer in if I fall short?

As above, don't try to do it in one jump; ramp-up your calories over a period of a few weeks until you reach your target.

Some good choices for calorie density/nutrition are peanut butter, olive oil, fatty cuts of red meat, fatty fish (such as salmon), nuts, pasta, bagels, ice cream, etc.

An occasional large pizza or plate of French fries/cheeseburger aren't out of the question either; just make sure to fit them into your daily totals.

Don't neglect a wide variety of fruits and veggies; there's more to good bodybuilding nutrition than just protein, carbs and fat.

New2Building
06-03-2012, 02:40 PM
3,300 calories per day a good starting point. Monitor bodyweight, the mirror and the way clothing fits weekly or biweekly, adjusting as needed.

Cool. I will try to get to 3,300 in the coming days. Do you think I will need to go above this?