PDA

View Full Version : US Hospitality

dazlittle
06-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Been working over in Greenville SC for the last week, I've met and spoken to more people this week than I have in all my travelling throughout Europe over the last 9 years.

The gym is used for the week (Powerhouse) was one of the friendliest gyms I've been too, met many people and generally had a great time.

Last night at the bar in the Marriot hotel I was drinking and chatting with Evander Holyfield and an ex pro footballer called Michael Dean Perry.

Had an awesome time but looking forward to getting home to my wife, kids and dogs.

Time to find a job out here and move my family over!!!

Thats it, No cliffs...

dazlittle
06-02-2012, 04:29 PM
I also managed to live through the whole week without having to carry a firearm!!

mslman71
06-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Been working over in Greenville SC for the last week ...
Time to find a job out here and move my family over!!!

Thats it, No cliffs...

You haven't been too terribly far from me. Glad you had a good time. SC is a nice place.

I also managed to live through the whole week without having to carry a firearm!!

That's because most everyone else was :)

SP1966
06-02-2012, 04:32 PM

Thats the beauty, you don't have to, but you can if you choose!

-=FLEX=-
06-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Southern US is definitley friendly, but nothing compared to Newfoundland.

I went there with a buddy in '91 and was totally blown away. We were biking around (bicycles, not motorcycles) from town to town and everywhere we went people kept offering us a ride to where we were going. We kept telling them we weren't really going anywhere in particular. LOL.

And we met one dude in some small town bar and he told us when we got to back St. John's to call him and he'd put us up in his house. He was pretty drunk so we didn't take him seriously and never intended to call. But we drank like sailors every day and by the time we got back to the city we were broke, so we called him. He was like "Where you phcukers been? I got your rooms all ready." He let us stay there 3 nights and even cooked us breakfast every morning.

djflex
06-02-2012, 04:40 PM
People in south are friendly and have manners.
beware though and dont be taken in by a friendly face, crime is everywhrte....srs

dazlittle
06-02-2012, 04:46 PM
You guys drive on the wrong side of the road also, Twice I got into my hire car in the pasenger seat and sat there wondering where the steering wheel had gone!!!

flairon
06-02-2012, 04:55 PM
You'll find some of the friendliest people in the the south in my opinion. The carolinas aren't a bad place at all with the exception of every hurricane that doesnt hit FL, generally hits the carolinas

paolo59
06-02-2012, 05:03 PM
I''m glad that you found folks pleasant and friendly! :)

StressMonkey
06-02-2012, 05:09 PM

I went there with a buddy in '91 and was totally blown away. We were biking around (bicycles, not motorcycles) from town to town and everywhere we went people kept offering us a ride to where we were going. We kept telling them we weren't really going anywhere in particular. LOL.

And we met one dude in some small town bar and he told us when we got to back St. John's to call him and he'd put us up in his house. He was pretty drunk so we didn't take him seriously and never intended to call. But we drank like sailors every day and by the time we got back to the city we were broke, so we called him. He was like "Where you phcukers been? I got your rooms all ready." He let us stay there 3 nights and even cooked us breakfast every morning.

I love the story from 9/11 about that place.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/12/world/americas/12canada.html

champ07
06-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Frank Mcgrath is from Newfoundland.

Frnkd
06-03-2012, 12:10 AM
Did my internship in Athens, GA. People I knew all said "why?" I was young and full of adventure. Till this day, that experience is still stuck in my head. I was impressed with how nice the people were and the hospitality I received. 4th of July in the small town of Colbert, GA was like a Norman Rockefeller (sp) painting. BTW its pronounce Caw-bert. The southern accent took time getting use to "yawll".

NorwichGrad
06-03-2012, 05:15 PM
The South is a remarkable place with magnificent people. I love dem der womenz accent. So charming. Southern belles could be yelling at you all pissed off and their accent will still melt you away.

eomrat
06-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Frank Mcgrath is from Newfoundland.

Who is Frank Mcgrath?

GuyJin
06-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Who is Frank Mcgrath?

---

Canadian bodybuilder from Newfyland....

champ07
06-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Who is Frank Mcgrath?

Dude in the Animal supplements pictures.

Nalu
06-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Did my internship in Athens, GA. People I knew all said "why?" I was young and full of adventure. Till this day, that experience is still stuck in my head. I was impressed with how nice the people were and the hospitality I received. 4th of July in the small town of Colbert, GA was like a Norman Rockefeller (sp) painting. BTW its pronounce Caw-bert. The southern accent took time getting use to "yawll".

Most of my in-laws live close to Atlanta and the first thing I noticed was that Southern hospitality reminded me of the Aloha spirit. Did you feel that way at all?

mslman71
06-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Most of my in-laws live close to Atlanta and the first thing I noticed was that Southern hospitality reminded me of the Aloha spirit. Did you feel that way at all?

I don't know about the Aloha spirit, but when I did my short stint as a Yankee I would always go out of my way to hold doors open for people, as I always do. It's considered common courtesy around here. Apparently it's not up north where I was, and it pissed me off so badly I wanted to go back and slam doors in peoples' faces just to see if they got the picture. It occurred to me that they weren't being deliberately rude, it just wasn't customary, but here in the South don't be surprised if it's taken as an insult.

Frnkd
06-03-2012, 09:38 PM

The comparison can be made! Maybe that's why reciprocating was not difficult, and I felt right at home.

mtpockets
06-04-2012, 09:02 AM

Yes bye.

paolo59
06-04-2012, 09:40 AM
The South is a remarkable place with magnificent people. I love dem der womenz accent. So charming. Southern belles could be yelling at you all pissed off and their accent will still melt you away.

That gracious, southern accent is music to your ears! :)

CaptChip40
06-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Glad to see the south representing the US well again. If you would have visited New England you most likely would have a different perspective. Our vacations are spent down south and hope to move there when I retire.

ReconRon1b847077
06-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Stay the **** away from NY and LA or Miami if you want to stay in a good mood.

mslman71
06-04-2012, 10:36 AM
And it is home of the country's manliest city:

http://www.bestplaces.net/docs/studies/manliest_cities.aspx

tsoden
06-05-2012, 06:08 AM

my folks were there for 6 weeks a few years ago - and they said people leave their car keys in their cars unlocked... people "borrow" cars all the time. If your's is missing, you can borrow someone elses, but eventually your car ends up back where you left it.

Bushmaster
06-05-2012, 06:22 AM
Been working over in Greenville SC for the last week,

<--------------- :D

OP have you made it downtown yet? Main street and Falls Park? Epicenter of the universe IMHO... Also be sure to check out all the hot G-Vegas women. :cool:

DubfromGA
06-05-2012, 06:40 AM
Glad you had fun.

I love down here....always have.

I'm smitten with Southern women's accents, too.

dazlittle
06-06-2012, 01:20 AM
<--------------- :D

OP have you made it downtown yet? Main street and Falls Park? Epicenter of the universe IMHO... Also be sure to check out all the hot G-Vegas women. :cool:

I spent a couple of nights downtown, I ate in Rick Erwins which was awesome, Watched an outdoor movie by the river and had a walk along Reedy River falls. Its sure is a beautiful place.

Bushmaster
06-06-2012, 05:46 AM
I spent a couple of nights downtown, I ate in Rick Erwins which was awesome, Watched an outdoor movie by the river and had a walk along Reedy River falls. Its sure is a beautiful place.

There's also live music on main street every Thursday and Friday night..

I agree though, very cool place and I'm proud of my city. Glad you felt welcome here too! :cool:

Bushmaster
06-06-2012, 05:59 AM
The gym is used for the week (Powerhouse) was one of the friendliest gyms I've been too, met many people and generally had a great time.

Are you still here? If so, there's a really nice gym that should be a lot closer to you than Powerhouse if you're still staying at the Marriott.

http://www.coopsfitness.com/?page_id=156

I worked out there for the longest time, but I live outside of town now and it's a little out of my way. Good times though and I miss it..

jamacdon
06-06-2012, 06:54 AM
If you would have visited New England you most likely would have a different perspective.

A lot of chips on shoulders. But once you make a friend, they're incredibly loyal.

dazlittle
06-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Are you still here? If so, there's a really nice gym that should be a lot closer to you than Powerhouse if you're still staying at the Marriott.

http://www.coopsfitness.com/?page_id=156

I worked out there for the longest time, but I live outside of town now and it's a little out of my way. Good times though and I miss it..

Back home now, I'll try that one on my next trip though, Thanks for the tip.