PDA

View Full Version : I rarely pay attention to stupid sh!t like this,

bodyhard
06-02-2012, 09:01 AM
But when my wife told me this I had to google it to see if it was true and yup it is. The Mayor of NYC wants to ban supersize drinks lol

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-31/nyc-mayor-bloomberg-seeks-ban-on-super-size-soft-drinks.html

mslman71
06-02-2012, 09:08 AM
But when my wife told me this I had to google it to see if it was true and yup it is. The Mayor of NYC wants to ban supersize drinks lol

[url]http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-31/nyc-mayor-bloomberg-seeks-ban-on-super-size-soft-drinks.html[url]

I guess he thinks NYs are too stupid to control themselves, or to simply buy two drinks.

EB68
06-02-2012, 09:46 AM
I saw that too. I guess this will start a landslide of new laws, no more double cheeseburgers, no more large fries, gonna have to ban all sweets too. How did we survive before without the government telling us how to eat, exercise, sleep etc.?

SP1966
06-02-2012, 10:51 AM
I've read about this on a few other sites and you would be surprised, or not, by how many idiots think this is a good idea. One guy put things like this:

First they came for the Big Gulps, I didn't care, I drink diet.
Then they came for the cheesecake, I didn't care, I Keto.
Then they came for the bacon.

F'ck Bloomberg if the stupid f'cker thinks this is the way to solve the problem, with more f'cking nanny state bullsh!t!!

Jtbny
06-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Bloomberg :rolleyes:

V-240
06-02-2012, 11:40 AM
They know the morbidly obese will be too tired to go back to the self-serve thing for seconds.

not srs

This will do nothing.

cowboybiker
06-02-2012, 11:46 AM
They know the morbidly obese will be too tired to go back to the self-serve thing for seconds.

not srs

This will do nothing.This.
Cause most places offer free refills.

eomrat
06-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Since we are all now going to be financially responsible for other peoples lifestyle choices via Obamacare, don't you guys think that it is only fair that we get to make lifestyle decisions for them?

I certainly do.

Frnkd
06-02-2012, 12:43 PM
I've read about this on a few other sites and you would be surprised, or not, by how many idiots think this is a good idea. One guy put things like this:

First they came for the Big Gulps, I didn't care, I drink diet.
Then they came for the cheesecake, I didn't care, I Keto.
Then they came for the bacon.

F'ck Bloomberg if the stupid f'cker thinks this is the way to solve the problem, with more f'cking nanny state bullsh!t!!

Some how I knew I'd see a post from you SP ;)

dont get you bp up on this one too!

Frnkd
06-02-2012, 12:47 PM

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-31/nyc-mayor-bloomberg-seeks-ban-on-super-size-soft-drinks.html

I think if he was really smart he would ban going for seconds and thirds and fourths too, people will figure this out, I mean geeze I do that already at self serve dispensers, duh.....why pay for the large when I can get some cardio walking back and forth to the dispenser to fill up my small.

mslman71
06-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Since we are all now going to be financially responsible for other peoples lifestyle choices via Obamacare, don't you guys think that it is only fair that we get to make lifestyle decisions for them?

I certainly do.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100828054703/uncyclopedia/images/b/b5/Exploding-head.gif

crupiea
06-02-2012, 02:23 PM
The reason he is doing this is because people rarely pay attention to stupid **** like this on election day.

Think before voting and this wont happen.

flairon
06-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Yeah, just saw down in the big misc that there is talk being bandied about for raising taxes on pizza, and in the UK calling someone fat is about to be made into a hate crime

Karl_Hungus
06-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Yup, more nanny-state nonsense. The logic is: You are too stupid to handle having freedom of choice, therefore, all of us smart people in the government need to take away that freedom and make the choice for you.

dbx
06-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Are you kidding me? Why the outrage now? I mean, this is but one of several such "bans" or alike curbing of your behavior regarding food/drink, and this is just another one. You know, another one that makes conservatives want to hit liberals when they laugh at the conservative's "slippery slope" argument(s). And people really can't see what govt run healthcare will result in? Blind fcking idiots......

Oh, before I go....did I mention that the same day that this was announced that NY publicly celebrated Doughnut Day? http://hotair.com/greenroom/archives/2012/06/01/nyc-mayor-follows-up-announced-soda-ban-by-celebrating-national-donut-day/

And when the mayor was asked about a conflict for promoting eating doughnuts? He replied that moderation is the key. Yes, like nobody can buy 3 or 10 doughnuts.

You can't make this $hit up. Of course, some of you don't vote, so good luck...... :p

eomrat
06-02-2012, 04:19 PM

Clean out your inbox, Fool!!!

SP1966
06-02-2012, 04:29 PM

I certainly do.

I'm looking hard for the [sarcasm] tag here and not finding it, sure hope you forgot or I'm just stupid. The latter sure opens up possibilities!

dbx
06-02-2012, 04:32 PM
I'm looking hard for the [sarcasm] tag here and not finding it, sure hope you forgot or I'm just stupid. The latter sure opens up possibilities!

It's there. You just don't see it as clearly as I :).

SP1966
06-02-2012, 04:34 PM
It's there. You just don't see it as clearly as I :).

I suspected as much, but still, this sh!t pisses me off. I've been attacked as a knuckledragger on another site regarding this issue. I have to admit, I don't understand what my scraped knuckles have to do with it. :)

mslman71
06-02-2012, 04:38 PM
I suspected as much, but still, this sh!t pisses me off. I've been attacked as a knuckledragger on another site regarding this issue. I have to admit, I don't understand what my scraped knuckles have to do with it. :)

Well, the sarcasm tag was based on who was doing the posting. But you're right, there are people who legitimately support this reasoning, and for a lot more things that health care. There seems to be this notion that because something I do could affect you (generically speaking), that that entitles you to some control over me. I don't subscribe to that horse****.

dbx
06-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Well, the sarcasm tag was based on who was doing the posting. But you're right, there are people who legitimately support this reasoning, and for a lot more things that health care. There seems to be this notion that because something I do could affect you (generically speaking), that that entitles you to some control over me. I don't subscribe to that horse****.

Exactly, but what liberals (sorry, but that's who we're generally talking about here) don't see is the long term. The end of the road so to speak. I've often mused that liberals are like the person standing in hell, looking behind them...at the road paved with good intentions. Their view is myopic and overly ideal.

But just watch; bring up how, "What's next, banning french fries?", and they'll tell you that you're overreacting, all day long. LOL...blind idiots, many of them. Of course, the ones that aren't blind...are the intentional a$$holes that would make Hitler admire their spunk.

SP1966
06-02-2012, 04:44 PM

The irony of this specific situation is on another site, a low carb site to be specific you would be shocked how many idiots are cheering this. Do they not have a f'cking brain? Current conventional wisdom is that saturated fat is bad for you, if using sin taxes and portion size regulations on sugary drinks is ok how long until these f'cking nannies are eyeballing our bacon, eggs, and steak? These clowns don't understand how close their own belief systems are to being found on that slippery slope.

This world is so f'cking full of stupid its disgusting!

dbx
06-02-2012, 04:46 PM
This world is so f'cking full of stupid its disgusting!

But the answer to solving this ^ is easy; we all just dumb ourselves down. That way, we're on the same playing field. We're doing it with vocabulary, workplace ethics, workplace standards, etc... Why stop there?

SP1966
06-02-2012, 04:48 PM
But the answer to solving this ^ is easy; we all just dumb ourselves down. That way, we're on the same playing field. We're doing it with vocabulary, workplace ethics, workplace standards, etc... Why stop there?

That answer if obvious. You cannot help someone advance themselves against their will, you can however drag others down to their level by force. Equal we will all be, for better or worse...

eomrat
06-02-2012, 04:50 PM
liberals don't see is the long term. The end of the road so to speak.

Some of them do friend.

dbx
06-02-2012, 04:51 PM
... Of course, the ones that aren't blind...are the intentional a$$holes that would make Hitler admire their spunk.

Some of them do friend.

Yepper..........

mslman71
06-02-2012, 04:54 PM
That answer if obvious. You cannot help someone advance themselves against their will, you can however drag others down to their level by force. Equal we will all be, for better or worse...

A very significant fraction of rules & laws in everyday society are driven by the lowest common denominator.

dbx
06-02-2012, 04:57 PM
A very significant fraction of rules & laws in everyday society are driven by the lowest common denominator.

...and because the otherwise vast majority are apathetic and/or do not vote.

The latter usually, being the deciding factor.......

eomrat
06-02-2012, 05:03 PM
...and because the otherwise vast majority are apathetic and/or do not vote.

The latter usually, being the deciding factor.......

So here is a question.

An important election is coming up. I am pretty sure that Kevin and the Rocket Scientist and Steve all know who my guy is. In November do I do what I feel is the honorable thing and basically walk into the booth and throw my vote away?

Or do I vote for the guy I think might actually win, even though I find him repulsive.

Honor or pragmatism?

I am going with honor.

dbx
06-02-2012, 05:09 PM
So here is a question.

An important election is coming up. I am pretty sure that Kevin and the Rocket Scientist and Steve all know who my guy is. In November do I do what I feel is the honorable thing and basically walk into the booth and throw my vote away?

Or do I vote for the guy I think might actually win, even though I find him repulsive.

Honor or pragmatism?

I am going with honor.

I don't begrudge anyone for voting the way their heart tells them to. However, while I feel your pain, I will be checking my honor at the curb during this election. This sentiment is a changing target, but in this election, I will give way. Time is truly running out, imo.

mslman71
06-02-2012, 05:10 PM
I am going with honor.

That's cool. I'm taking the pragmatic route.

Not too thrilled about it but it is what it is.

SP1966
06-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Honor or pragmatism?

I am going with honor.

Its painful that the party of the right has moved left and left us with such a despicable choice to make.

I don't begrudge anyone for voting the way their heart tells them to. However, while I feel your pain, I will be checking my honor at the curb during this election. This sentiment is a changing target, but in this election, I will give way. Time is truly running out, imo.

Not too thrilled about it but it is what it is.

Unfortunately IMO all pragmatism will do is put off the suffering. Our party will continue its slide to the left, the libs will win one way or the other. And when they do and finally realize that what they get isn't what they thought they'll point their fingers, not look in the mirror.

eomrat
06-02-2012, 05:22 PM

I should not have suggested that "honor" and "pragmatism" are somehow opposites. I am just torn by the idea of clicking that "R" and knowing that that is not my "real" choice. It doesn't even really matter to me that the guy is personally reprehensible. I don't like his politics. I think he is bad for America.

He is like chemotherapy, poisonous and horrible, but better than cancer.

so-tex
06-02-2012, 05:24 PM

Not too thrilled about it but it is what it is.As much as I hate to, I am taking the pragmatic route too.

mslman71
06-02-2012, 05:24 PM

Putting a post-it on my monitor to rep you for this when I'm off spread.

SP1966
06-02-2012, 05:26 PM

Perfect analogy! One choice kills you, but hopefully a little slower then the other. FML.

eomrat
06-02-2012, 05:26 PM
BTW, I did not leave the Republican Party. The Republican Party left me.

And it wasn't junior, it was senior. Though junior took the rape far farther than his father ever did.

SP1966
06-02-2012, 05:28 PM
BTW, I did not leave the Republican Party. The Republican Party left me.

And it wasn't junior, it was senior. Though junior took the rape far father than his father ever did.

Senior had the benefit of eight years to learn. In spite of all that his inner politician still exposed him for the fraud he was.

mslman71
06-02-2012, 05:32 PM
^ Why I hate to see conservative and Republican used synonymously. I don't see much difference between Democrats and Republicans, but so long as they are at each others' throats they aren't able to "get things done," which is fine by me.

eomrat
06-02-2012, 05:34 PM
^ Why I hate to see conservative and Republican used synonymously. I don't see much difference between Democrats and Republicans, but so long as they are at each others' throats they aren't able to "get things done," which is fine by me.

I pray that we have a congress in opposition to the President until such a time that we have real governance.

so-tex
06-02-2012, 05:36 PM
until such a time that we have real governance.I am afaid that is not going to happen my friend.

dbx
06-02-2012, 05:42 PM
I should not have suggested that "honor" and "pragmatism" are somehow opposites. I am just torn by the idea of clicking that "R" and knowing that that is not my "real" choice. It doesn't even really matter to me that the guy is personally reprehensible. I don't like his politics. I think he is bad for America.

Personally, I don't think he's nearly as bad as you describe. Having said that, I'm sure you know that he wasn't my first choice, either. Additionally, when I spoke of "timing", I meant "2nd term coming up", which is a deal breaker for me. I voted for Ross...and I would vote for Paul, just to make a statement...to the republican party. Make no mistake about that. In fact, you won't know how much I hate making the decision I am going to make in the fall. Nevertheless, when I see 15 trillion and ticking....it scares the $hit out of me. I really don't think people in this country "get" the depth of this. In all of two seconds, the clock "interest" on our national debt exceeds what most any of us will ever make in a lifetime. It's mind blowing...and it's also at a point of virtual impossibility to reverse.

And yes, I fully realize that while every U.S. President wants to be the guy who "changed the course"....I also realize that no U.S. President wants to be the guy made the country make serious economical sacrifices. And fwiw, our nations "Greatest Generation"? They're the top dogs at calling the shots, and they aren't going to give up a freaking penny. LOL... a little bit of irony, ain't it? :)

The world - A strange place to live, but you have no choice...................

eomrat
06-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Personally, I don't think he's nearly as bad as you describe. Having said that, I'm sure you know that he wasn't my first choice, either. Additionally, when I spoke of "timing", I meant "2nd term coming up", which is a deal breaker for me. I voted for Ross...and I would vote for Paul, just to make a statement...to the republican party. Make no mistake about that. In fact, you won't know how much I hate making the decision I am going to make in the fall. Nevertheless, when I see 15 trillion and ticking....it scares the $hit out of me. I really don't think people in this country "get" the depth of this. In all of two seconds, the clock "interest" on our national debt exceeds what most any of us will ever make in a lifetime. It's mind blowing...and it's also at a point of virtual impossibility to reverse.

And yes, I fully realize that while every U.S. President wants to be the guy who "changed the course"....I also realize that no U.S. President wants to be the guy made the country make serious economical sacrifices. And fwiw, our nations "Greatest Generation"? They're the top dogs at calling the shots, and they aren't going to give up a freaking penny. LOL... a little bit of irony, ain't it? :)

The world - A strange place to live, but you have no choice...................

So why not just play "Moonlight Sonata" while the ship goes down? I voted off ticket in 92 and I am 99% certain I will do it again this year.

Understand that I am probably not as deep a thinker as you or Steve or others and that often I fall back on my instincts. My intellect fails me now. I genuinely do not know the correct course in November, so I am going with my heart.

mslman71
06-02-2012, 05:58 PM
I pray that we have a congress in opposition to the President until such a time that we have real governance.

I pray that we return to a time when the President doesn't have that much power. It's too much the office of the emperor for my liking, no matter who is sitting in the throne.

eomrat
06-02-2012, 06:02 PM
I pray that we return to a time when the President doesn't have that much power. It's too much the office of the emperor for my liking, no matter who is sitting in the throne.

Remember when the Supreme Court was "Supreme?"

No, you don't. Your Father was just a boy in 1936.

dbx
06-02-2012, 06:02 PM
So why not just play "Moonlight Sonata" while the ship goes down? I voted off ticket in 92 and I am 99% certain I will do it again this year.

Again, I have done the same and don't begrudge anyone for voting as you anticipate doing this fall.

Understand that I am probably not as deep a thinker as you or Steve or others and that often I fall back on my instincts. My intellect fails me now. I genuinely do not know the correct course in November, so I am going with my heart.

I think I can say, 'thank you" for both, Steve and I, for your sentiments here. However, neither of us knows the course, either. And don't cut yourself short. We're probably just a few years older...and..whatever. Either way, it doesn't make us right, so as always, vote as you see fit. It's America, bro...all 24/7/365 :).

mslman71
06-02-2012, 06:03 PM

Nope, I'm just throwing a dart, blindfolded, at the wall on this one. I'd love to vote for someone who actually represents my beliefs (they are just beliefs) but it seems my beliefs aren't that popular. So, I'm going for the stalemate.

SP1966
06-02-2012, 06:12 PM
Understand that I am probably not as deep a thinker as you or Steve or others and that often I fall back on my instincts.

Well, that part made me chuckle!

My intellect fails me now. I genuinely do not know the correct course in November, so I am going with my heart.

I doubt anybody who finds themselves on the right of the political spectrum genuinely know the correct course for November. We haven't had a person with the conservative values combined with the courage to push them forward without compromise since Reagan. Bush I, Dole, Bush II, and McCain, not a single one of them were the answer to the parties goals, at least not the Republican party's goals.

Honestly though, if only from a fiscal perspective Romney may well turn out to be the best of the post Reagan Republicans, and that is my only hope at this point.

eomrat
06-02-2012, 06:17 PM
he may well turn out to be the best of the post Reagan Republicans

Again, given a choice between being kicked in the nuts or punched in the face, I guess I will take a punch to the face.

SP1966
06-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Again, given a choice between being kicked in the nuts or punched in the face, I guess I will take a punch to the face.

The problem is by voting for someone who has no chance to win, you are really choosing to be punched in the face, then kicked in the nuts continuously for four more years if your second choice loses.

If choice number two wins, then you get to lose less, and send your message to the Republican party, its a gamble either way.

dbx
06-02-2012, 06:19 PM

I will gladly give you a kick in the nuts to help you feel...well, balanced again.

:D

eomrat
06-02-2012, 06:21 PM
The problem is by voting for someone who has no chance to win, you are really choosing to be punched in the face, then kicked in the nuts continuously for four more years if your second choice loses.

I know.

I have no answer.

dbx
06-02-2012, 06:22 PM

If choice number two wins, then you get to lose less, and send your message to the Republican party, its a gamble either way.

He knows this, Steve, as do I. He simply feels the same way that I did, a few years ago; fck the "republican party", and let them hear my discontent.

I still feel the same way, but I also feel now that I cannot waste a vote...this time.

SP1966
06-02-2012, 06:24 PM
I know.

I have no answer.

He knows this, Steve, as do I. He simply feels the same way that I did, a few years ago; fck the "republican party", and let them hear my discontent.

I still feel the same way, but I also feel now that I cannot waste a vote...this time.

Well thanks guys, now I'm depressed. Gonna drink a little to much tonight, then maybe beat the wife! ;)

Iceman1800
06-02-2012, 06:24 PM
Exactly, but what liberals (sorry, but that's who we're generally talking about here) don't see is the long term. The end of the road so to speak. I've often mused that liberals are like the person standing in hell, looking behind them...at the road paved with good intentions. Their view is myopic and overly ideal.

.Isn't the Mayor of NY City a republican?

SP1966
06-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Isn't the Mayor of NY City a republican?

No, he belongs to the Bloomberg party. He belongs to whichever suits his needs at that moment.

A Democrat before seeking elective office, Bloomberg switched his registration in 2001 and ran for mayor as a Republican, winning the election that year and a second term in 2005. Bloomberg left the Republican Party over policy and philosophical disagreements with national party leadership in 2007 and ran for his third term in 2009 as an independent candidate on the Republican ballot line.

mslman71
06-02-2012, 06:26 PM

He's been both, currently an "Independent" I believe.

Party doesn't matter - political philosophy is the issue.

SP1966
06-02-2012, 06:28 PM
He's been both, currently an "Independent" I believe.

Party doesn't matter - political philosophy is the issue.

When you jump parties as much as he has the lack of a party only shows he stands for nothing beyond himself and his own wellbeing.

Iceman1800
06-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Well, I'm against banning the drinks regardless. I agree with others saying it is a slippery slope

SP1966
06-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Well, I'm against banning the drinks regardless. I agree with others saying it is a slippery slope

Are my toes the only ones really cold at this moment? ;)

mslman71
06-02-2012, 06:30 PM
When you jump parties as much as he has the lack of a party only shows he stands for nothing beyond himself and his own wellbeing.

He's an opportunist. I can respect an opportunist, as much as an opportunist can be respected, so long as he recognizes it and calls it what it is. Otherwise he's just a ****ty little self serving coward, more or less :D

Iceman1800
06-02-2012, 06:30 PM
are my toes the only ones really cold at this moment? ;)lol

mslman71
06-02-2012, 06:31 PM
well, i'm against banning the drinks regardless. I agree with others saying it is a slippery slope

are my toes the only ones really cold at this moment? ;)

LOLOLOLOL

asdf

Iceman1800
06-02-2012, 06:32 PM
He's an opportunist. I can respect an opportunist, as much as an opportunist can be respected, so long as he recognizes it and calls it what it is. Otherwise he's just a ****ty little self serving coward, more or less :Dalong with about 10% of our current congress. more party switching than a cheap date

mslman71
06-02-2012, 06:35 PM
along with about 10% of our current congress. more party switching than a cheap date

Yeah, Lieberman, another guy from PA (?) I think, a couple others maybe. All of which seem to fall right along with the winds of popular sentiment and election boundaries.

dbx
06-02-2012, 06:35 PM

Actually, no, he's an Independent...with very liberal leanings...and a mistaken identity as being a republican, lol. Not much different from Giuliani.

However, why sidetrack? Why not just speak out about how YOU feel about this new "law", K? Fair enough, right?

eomrat
06-02-2012, 06:39 PM

I guess you feel the stakes are higher now that in 92. I agree. I agree wholeheartedly.

I still am unsure about November. I have led a relatively simple life (adult life). I have followed a set of values that made my course clear. On this though, I truly do not know what "right" is.

Do I "send a message" that the party did not hear in 64 and 68 (You know, that crazy Goldwater) or 72 or 92? Or do I choke down the vomit and cast a vote for the guy that I think can win, though I find him utterly repugnant?

I am pretty sure I will "send a message" and feel very smug about it. Of course I would probably have been playing Cello as the Titanic went down.

so-tex
06-02-2012, 06:45 PM
I am voting for the lesser of two evils, rather than with my heart. There is no guarantee whatsoever, that Obama won't get re-elected.

Iceman1800
06-02-2012, 07:00 PM
However, why sidetrack? Why not just speak out about how YOU feel about this new "law", K? Fair enough, right?I did, I said I don't agree with it. Setting a scary precedent

...Kennedy
06-02-2012, 07:04 PM
You all want to talk about apathy? Apathy is voting for the lesser of two evils. This is what's wrong with our generation...you've been brainwashed into thinking it's a wasted vote to cast your ballot for someone other than one of the two candidates hand-picked for you by the ruling class.

There is literally no difference between Romney and Obama on the major issues. Read that again, it's important. You vote for either of them, you help to perpetuate the current warfare/welfare state. They distract you with stupid non-issues like gay marriage while they slowly remove your freedom.

If you don't like the direction America is heading for, grow a set and vote for or write-in Ron Paul, Gary Johnson, or one of the many other candidates who have political views closer to your own.

The attitudes of the general population our age is disgusting. People either don't pay attention, or seeing the real problems, feel so helpless to change things that they don't even try.

But there is light at the end of the tunnel. The Liberty movement is here to stay, and it's most popular with the 20-something crowd. As their numbers grow and they vote in candidates who respect the Constitution, time will heal this disease and corruption in our country.

SP1966
06-02-2012, 07:13 PM
There is literally no difference between Romney and Obama on the major issues. Read that again, it's important. You vote for either of them, you help to perpetuate the current warfare/welfare state. They distract you with stupid non-issues like gay marriage while they slowly remove your freedom.

The differences are vast, just not vast enough. From a fiscal perspective only, they could not be more different.

If you don't like the direction America is heading for, grow a set and vote for or write-in Ron Paul, Gary Johnson, or one of the many other candidates who have political views closer to your own.

When it comes time to cast a vote, I believe you cast a vote for the one who can win and is closest to your ideal. As for changing the direction of the individual party, that happens between elections. By gathering together ala the Tea Party, the major party hears your displeasure and hopefully shows that in their policies.

I understand the desire to vote with good conscience, but you have to vote with your brain too.

The attitudes of the general population our age is disgusting. People either don't pay attention, or seeing the real problems, feel so helpless to change things that they don't even try.

I couldn't agree more.

But there is light at the end of the tunnel. The Liberty movement is here to stay, and it's most popular with the 20-something crowd. As their numbers grow and they vote in candidates who respect the Constitution, time will heal this disease and corruption in our country.

They will certainly change things as they will have no choice in the matter, the mess we and past generations are leaving them will force their collective hand.

mslman71
06-02-2012, 07:13 PM
There is literally no difference between Romney and Obama on the major issues. Read that again, it's important.

My memory is a little hazy here, but I think that was the gist several of the prior posts. In the end they will serve their masters, the party, and the two are the same as far as I'm concerned.

SP1966
06-02-2012, 07:15 PM
My memory is a little hazy here, but I think that was the gist several of the prior posts. In the end they will serve their masters, the party, and the two are the same as far as I'm concerned.

They're not the same, they've just lost focus on their differences! :)

Iceman1800
06-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Obama is closer to my views than Romney and much closer that Paul. My ideal pick would have been Huntsman but that's not an option. And to address the spin tactic about the constitution, that's why we have a supreme court.

SP1966
06-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Obama is closer to my views than Romney and much closer that Paul. My ideal pick would have been Huntsman but that's not an option. And to address the spin tactic about the constitution, that's why we have a supreme court.

To bad while dead people do vote, dead people cannot be elected!! Lenin would surely appeal to you, yes? Serious question.

mslman71
06-02-2012, 07:25 PM
They're not the same, they've just lost focus on their differences! :)

lol, I got nuthin'

wildstreak
06-02-2012, 11:35 PM
How about instead of trying to ban bathtub sized drinks in restaurants, our government pours more money into our schools' physical fitness programs? Educate children on the importance of good nutrition and regular exercise? Make ours a fit, Spartan society (without the warrior-children and the whole incest thing)? Call me crazy.

MontyMagpie
06-03-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm glad I live in GREAT Britain. I can drink 2litres of fizzy sugar crap if I want to but I don't but at least I have the choice which is what is should be.

They would just tax the **** out of it instead like they will pasties and pies shortly. We will pay VAT at 20% on it.

Brackneyc
06-03-2012, 03:21 PM
I'm glad I live in GREAT Britain. I can drink 2litres of fizzy sugar crap if I want to but I don't but at least I have the choice which is what is should be.

They would just tax the **** out of it instead like they will pasties and pies shortly. We will pay VAT at 20% on it.

six of one....

tsoden
06-03-2012, 03:35 PM

Pretty dumb considering most places offer free refills anyway.

Nalu
06-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Pretty amazing..we all know obesity is probably the leading health problem in America but is this what it comes to?? Nanny state telling us to abandon our freedom because we have no self control??
Are we really this fukked up? I wish this much effort was given to educating our children on how to compete in the ever changing world.

SP1966
06-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Pretty amazing..we all know obesity is probably the leading health problem in America but is this what it comes to?? Nanny state telling us to abandon our freedom because we have no self control??
Are we really this fukked up? I wish this much effort was given to educating our children on how to compete in the ever changing world.

What good would educating them do when you have it all wrong to begin with? They are just going to tell you to exercise more, eat less fat and more healthy *cough BS cough* whole grains. They got it wrong in the 70's, doubled down in the 80's, and now our leaders think they are doing right by taking away choice on one small little issue as if thats going to roll that snowball back up the hill. The only thing that turns around this Titanic of a problem is a major shift in the thinking on obesity. I won't be putting my hard earned money down betting on how likely that is to happen.

wildstreak
06-03-2012, 08:26 PM
[QUOTE=SP1966;893492901]They are just going to tell you to exercise more, eat less fat and more healthy *cough BS cough* whole grains.

Wait. Eating whole grains is BS?

wildstreak
06-03-2012, 08:30 PM
The thing is that they're beginning to turn around the thinking on obesity. I can't tell you how many blogs, news articles, and facebook statuses sing that "Big is beautiful" and that there is no shame in carrying more weight on you than your frame can handle. It's almost ...Unamerican if you can fit into anything smaller than a circus tent.

SP1966
06-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Wait. Eating whole grains is BS?

Whole grain bread spikes you blood sugar levels faster then sugar. Obviously its better then sugar as it should have some nutrients, but otherwise IMO they're garbage. I know that will not be a popular opinion around here, but its what I believe.

wildstreak
06-03-2012, 08:36 PM
White bread is out. If what you say is true, whole grains are out. What do you do as an alternative? You can't just go without complex carbs.

mslman71
06-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Could just try eating it in moderation...

crazy...

SP1966
06-03-2012, 08:38 PM
White bread is out. If what you say is true, whole grains are out. What do you do as an alternative? You can't just go without complex carbs.

As an alternative to bread? I use nothing. As for complex carbs, you don't need them, but the fiber sure makes certain parts of the morning routine easier! :)

SP1966
06-03-2012, 08:39 PM

crazy...

I agree, but I don't. :)

wildstreak
06-03-2012, 08:49 PM
As an alternative to bread? I use nothing. As for complex carbs, you don't need them, but the fiber sure makes certain parts of the morning routine easier! :)

Ok, I'm going to totally come off as either ignorant or betray my newbie status, (I'm no dietician) but I was taught that carbs are where you get your energy along with simple sugars. If you don't need carbs, then where are you getting your energy? You eating a crapton of fruits then?

SP1966
06-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Ok, I'm going to totally come off as either ignorant or betray my newbie status, (I'm no dietician) but I was taught that carbs are where you get your energy along with simple sugars. If you don't need carbs, then where are you getting your energy? You eating a crapton of fruits then?

Your body can use either fat or carbs for energy, most here will prefer carbs as easy fuel, I don't. On a Keto diet your energy will be steady, not spikes, many here will prefer those spikes for an extra boost in the gym. You can accomplish your goals, whatever they may be either way. For me its about how I fell 24 hours a day, I feel great when I cut the carbs, others don't, you'll have to find out which you are.

Should you ever decide to try a keto style diet be sure to study up on it, its simple, but has to be done right, and over a longer period of time before you start to feel the benefits.

wildstreak
06-03-2012, 09:13 PM
I've not heard of the Keto diet, but I'll certainly do some research into it. Thanks for the suggestion!

SP1966
06-03-2012, 09:19 PM
I've not heard of the Keto diet, but I'll certainly do some research into it. Thanks for the suggestion!

You can read about it in the following forum, though its flooded with idiots and trolls most of the time.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61

I would recommend the book Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes if you want to learn about it.

wildstreak
06-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Awesome man. Thanks!

Nalu
06-04-2012, 12:08 PM

crazy...

Novel concept! Who would have thunk it? :D

theKurp
06-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Me: I could give a $hit. Why? Because I'd never drink a 16 oz sugar-laced beverage. If they outlawed all Krispy Kremes and Dunkin Donuts would I give a $hit? No.

Them: But if you let them get away with this then they could start banning other stuff.

Me: Like what?

Them: Like bacon.

Me: Have they banned bacon?

Them: Um, no.

Me: So tell me again why I should give a $hit?

mslman71
06-04-2012, 01:09 PM
WOTD: Precedent

Brackneyc
06-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Me: I could give a $hit. Why? Because I'd never drink a 16 oz sugar-laced beverage. If they outlawed all Krispy Kremes and Dunkin Donuts would I give a $hit? No.

Them: But if you let them get away with this then they could start banning other stuff.

I didn't see a smiley, but I will assume you were kidding.

theKurp
06-04-2012, 01:20 PM
WOTD: Precedent

More laws than I can count have been enacted that set precedents. Oddly enough, I still live a pretty happy life - all because I continue not to give a $hit.

ChocoChick
06-04-2012, 01:28 PM
That government is best which governs least - Thoreau.

If people want to drink sugar-laden drinks, let 'em.
And if health insurance companies want to increase premiums for folks with unhealthy habits, let 'em.

The free market achieves far more than government ever can.

theKurp
06-04-2012, 01:34 PM
And if health insurance companies want to increase premiums for folks with unhealthy habits, let 'em.

Agreed. But watch all the whiners come out of the closet and yell 'foul' when the health insurance companies start raising premiums on families with fat kids.

Brackneyc
06-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Agreed. But watch all the whiners come out of the closet and yell 'foul' when the health insurance companies start raising premiums on families with fat kids.

Oh well, that is a consequence directed AT those who "choose" to let themselves or their families become fat. Restricting the size of the soda (a legally consumable product) "I" can buy penalizes me for having done absolutely nothing to warrant it. See the obvious difference.

theKurp
06-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Oh well, that is a consequence directed AT those who "choose" to let themselves or their families become fat. Restricting the size of the soda (a legally consumable product) "I" can buy penalizes me for having done absolutely nothing to warrant it. See the obvious difference.

And again, my point is that it doesn't "penalize" me because I would never consume greater than 16 oz of a sugar-laced beverage (the kind which this law targets) all in one sitting. The fact that you feel penalized matters little to me.

Karl_Hungus
06-04-2012, 06:57 PM

^^ This is short-sighted and simpleminded logic. By allowing the gov't nannies to ban one thing because they believe it is unhealthy, you therefore grant them the power to ban anything on that basis. Personally, I'm smart enough to make my own decisions -- I don't need busybodies in the government to enact ineffective policies to save me from myself.

wildstreak
06-04-2012, 08:27 PM
That government is best which governs least - Thoreau.

If people want to drink sugar-laden drinks, let 'em.

The free market achieves far more than government ever can.

I'd rep but I've repped too much already. :(

so-tex
06-04-2012, 08:31 PM
I'd rep but I've repped too much already. :(Got her for you. ;)

dbx
06-04-2012, 10:59 PM

Man, I'm truly shocked by this reply. Why? Because I know and appreciate many other replies you've made on this board that indicates a clear level of intelligence, apart from many other members. I cannot believe you posted that, seriously. Really, you went with the, "As long as it doesn't directly effect me" position, that it's not worth defending? I can't freaking believe it. Seriously, I REALLY misunderstood you in earlier, healthy, intelligent exchanges.

Your stance here is totally despicable, and not worthy of your otherwise, obvious intelligent replies to previous complicated threads that warranted serious thought. I don't see you being part of the 3rd Reich (if you'd lived in the day), but your sentiments here lead down that very road, bruh. Plz, tell me you can see this? The, "Because I don't do this...use this...employ this", response is so reprehensible to me, I'm not even sure where to start! :confused:

Oceanside
06-04-2012, 11:05 PM

I actually agree...

if people aren't smart enough to buy 2 smaller drinks then f*ck em :)

dbx
06-04-2012, 11:07 PM
I actually agree...

if people aren't smart enough to buy 2 smaller drinks then f*ck em :)

Do you know how many people here will think you're serious? :D

Oceanside
06-04-2012, 11:11 PM
I am

dbx
06-04-2012, 11:28 PM
I am

Please, explain this position for us on this subject. I simply don't believe that it's an honest position that you could possibly hold.

Oceanside
06-05-2012, 12:00 AM
Please, explain this position for us on this subject. I simply don't believe that it's an honest position that you could possibly hold.

because it's not something I give a sh*t about...

it's really quite simple when you break it down :)

kimm4
06-05-2012, 12:07 AM

crazy...

That's just silly talk right there...

:D

IronCharles
06-05-2012, 12:16 AM
Instead of buying the supersize drink, just buy the regular size, and get up out of your booth and refill it over and over again.

Or would that be too much exercise.... climbing in and out of the booth?

Oceanside
06-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Instead of buying the supersize drink, just buy the regular size, and get up out of your booth and refill it over and over again.

Or would that be too much exercise.... climbing in and out of the booth?

no charles you don't understand..

today they'll outlaw big gulps and tomorrow the government will outlaw refills..

it's a government conspiracy to make us all thirsty..

pretty sure that's how stalin got his start :)

IronCharles
06-05-2012, 01:29 AM
By allowing the gov't nannies to ban one thing because they believe it is unhealthy, you therefore grant them the power to ban anything on that basis. Personally, I'm smart enough to make my own decisions -- I don't need busybodies in the government to enact ineffective policies to save me from myself.The government already tried something like this. It was called prohibition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_in_the_United_States).

theKurp
06-05-2012, 05:50 AM
Man, I'm truly shocked by this reply. Why? Because I know and appreciate many other replies you've made on this board that indicates a clear level of intelligence, apart from many other members. I cannot believe you posted that, seriously. Really, you went with the, "As long as it doesn't directly effect me" position, that it's not worth defending? I can't freaking believe it. Seriously, I REALLY misunderstood you in earlier, healthy, intelligent exchanges.

Your stance here is totally despicable, and not worthy of your otherwise, obvious intelligent replies to previous complicated threads that warranted serious thought. I don't see you being part of the 3rd Reich (if you'd lived in the day), but your sentiments here lead down that very road, bruh. Plz, tell me you can see this? The, "Because I don't do this...use this...employ this", response is so reprehensible to me, I'm not even sure where to start! :confused:

When smoking became illegal in restaurants and other public places did I give a $****? No. Do I smoke? No. Did the passing and enactment of no-smoking laws open the door to banning 16-oz sugar-laced drinks in restaurants? Perhaps. Is it a road down which the world will come to an end? Please. States, counties, cities, and towns have the constitutional right to govern themselves and as such, create and sustain environment that defines the ideals and beliefs of their citizens.

Unless I'm missing something here, this is a ban proposed by a New York City mayor elected by New York City voters that effects only New York City residents. This new ban proposal is in keeping with an environment that is being crafted to go along with already established bans on smoking and trans-fats along with restaurant calorie counts.

What we have here in this thread are a bunch of non New-York City people criticizing and expressing umbrage over how New York City wishes to govern itself when in reality, it has no effect on them. Right. Because we should be able to dictate what laws another city should and shouldn't enact without living, voting, or paying taxes in that city.

Again, I don't give a $hit because I don't live in New York City and I have no right to give a $hit. But if you held a gun to my head and told me to give a $****, then I'd applaud the efforts of New York City to have the balls to take action, however misguided it may seem, to fight obesity.

Brackneyc
06-05-2012, 06:05 AM
When smoking became illegal in restaurants and other public places did I give a $****? No. Do I smoke? No. Did the passing and enactment of no-smoking laws open the door to banning 16-oz sugar-laced drinks in restaurants? Perhaps. Is it a road down which the world will come to an end? Please. States, counties, cities, and towns have the constitutional right to govern themselves and as such, create and sustain environment that defines the ideals and beliefs of their citizens.

Unless I'm missing something here, this is a ban proposed by a New York City mayor elected by New York City voters that effects only New York City residents. This new ban proposal is in keeping with an environment that is being crafted to go along with already established bans on smoking and trans-fats along with restaurant calorie counts.

What we have here in this thread are a bunch of non New-York City people criticizing and expressing umbrage over how New York City wishes to govern itself when in reality, it has no effect on them. Right. Because we should be able to dictate what laws another city should and shouldn't enact without living, voting, or paying taxes in that city.

Again, I don't give a $hit because I don't live in New York City and I have no right to give a $hit. But if you held a gun to my head and told me to give a $****, then I'd applaud the efforts of New York City to have the balls to take action, however misguided it may seem, to fight obesity.

So you only care about things that directly affect you atm? Good to know.

I find it a little odd that anyone would applaud a misguided effort (your words) to fight an issue (any issue) which is really none of the mayor's business, in NY, or any other town. I/we have the right to not only be fat, but we have the right to get as fat as we like. What gives the mayor the right to stop a person from being fat? He can provide information about the hazards of being fat if he chooses. But to enact a law to limit the consumption of a product certainly falls outside of his job duties, or so it seems to me.

theKurp
06-05-2012, 07:07 AM
So you only care about things that directly affect you atm? Good to know.

And when was the last time you fretted over the fact that you can't buy liquor on Sundays in Indiana? Or how about the fact that camouflage attire is illegal and punishable in Grenada?

Save your self-righteousness for someone else, I'm not buying.

Iceman1800
06-05-2012, 07:22 AM
Yep, this is the first step. Now they want to control what people drink, next thing you know they'll try to tell women what they can do with their bodies.....

mslman71
06-05-2012, 07:22 AM
And when was the last time you fretted over the fact that you can't buy liquor on Sundays in Indiana? Or how about the fact that camouflage attire is illegal and punishable in Grenada?

I care because I hate stupid ****ing ideas being implemented as law, anywhere. NYC's laws do not directly affect me in the least but they are indicative of an ever increasing mindset that good health can somehow be legislated. It's on par with legislating morality. It can't be done. That's why I care. If you wish to be apathetic then more power to you. You are certainly not alone.

And I think that prohibiting alcohol purchases on one arbitrary day out of the week is absurd.

Brackneyc
06-05-2012, 07:25 AM

I do not support either of those. My lack of direct protest in those areas does not mean that I DO support them. You OTOH DO support the NY initiative, and others like it.

IF those laws were proposed here, I would vote against the law, and the person/people proposing them. You OTOH most likely would not. I do not have the means to go to NY and hold a sign, and I cannot vote there. I hope you see the difference.

theKurp
06-05-2012, 07:28 AM
I do not support either of those. My lack of direct protest in those areas does not mean that I DO support them. You OTOH DO support the NY initiative, and others like it.

IF those laws were proposed here, I would vote against the law, and the person/people proposing them. You OTOH most likely would not. I do not have the means to go to NY and hold a sign, and I cannot vote there. I hope you see the difference.

Define "support". Don't presume to know me or what I'm thinking. When I say I don't give a $hit, take it literally and at face value.

Brackneyc
06-05-2012, 07:38 AM
Define "support". Don't presume to know me or what I'm thinking. When I say I don't give a $hit, take it literally and at face value.

Well, then lets's clear it up so I don't mis-characterize your position on this, and other such laws: IF you were a big soda drinker, AND the law was being proposed in your hometown (and it may well be one day), would you oppose it? If so, why. If not, why not.

theKurp
06-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Well, then lets's clear it up so I don't mis-characterize your position on this, and other such laws: IF you were a big soda drinker, AND the law was being proposed in your hometown (and it may well be one day), would you oppose it? If so, why. If not, why not.

I'm NOT a big soda drinker. So if the law was being proposed in the city of Oviedo I wouldn't give a $hit. That doesn't mean I oppose or support the proposed law. It means I don't give a $hit. I don't know how to make it any clearer.

latebloomingmom
06-05-2012, 07:52 AM
so uh really just trying to read and keep track on this thing so on the whole soda size big brother control issue
let me get this straight....you really dont give a sh*t then????:)

Brackneyc
06-05-2012, 07:53 AM
I'm NOT a big soda drinker. So if the law was being proposed in the city of Oviedo I wouldn't give a $hit. That doesn't mean I oppose or support the proposed law. It means I don't give a $hit. I don't know how to make it any clearer.

Well, in the real world, lack of opposition translates into support. I can't make that any clearer.

mslman71
06-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Reminds me of the attitude about general aviation (GA). No one gave a f*ck about the GA community post 9/11 because most people dont' fly as a hobby. So, a bunch of people on shoe-string budgets who love to fly got yanked around by the feds just to assuage irrational fears of a largely ignorant public; the tyranny of the perfect mix of apathy and ignorance on the part of the majority. I think the only thing that kept us from getting squashed was the AOPA lobby. I figure if I want to look out for myself I need to be looking out for everyone else.

theKurp
06-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Reminds me of the attitude about general aviation (GA). No one gave a f*ck about the GA community post 9/11 because most people dont' fly as a hobby. So, a bunch of people on shoe-string budgets who love to fly got yanked around by the feds just to assuage irrational fears of a largely ignorant public; the tyranny of the perfect mix of apathy and ignorance on the part of the majority. I think the only thing that kept us from getting squashed was the AOPA lobby. I figure if I want to look out for myself I need to be looking out for everyone else.

Whether or not you want to admit it, everyone cherry picks what issues matter to them. It's virtually impossible to care about EVERY issue and I'm sure as hell not going to let others brow beat me into caring about issues that are important to them.

Frankly, I don't give a $hit that you or anyone else judges me for not caring about New York City's proposed law that will prevent someone from sucking down a 16 oz sugar-laced drink in a New York City restaurant. Their city, their right.

latebloomingmom
06-05-2012, 08:16 AM
apathy: what a drag...
I think there are a great many people in this country that do not concern themselves with a great many issues...until it directly affects them/theirs.

jvfranklin
06-05-2012, 08:41 AM
These kinds of laws are especially fearsome when driven by junk science. And from what I'm seeing these days, the term "junk science" is a redundancy.

So this is how it works now? Some twit wanting to keep his pig trough full of grant money spews out a statistical analysis "study" saying x is bad. Bigbrother.gov jumps all over it, banning x. 20 years later some other twit publishes yet another study and we learn x is now good, and what, all you folks now have a deficiency and your life expectancy has just dropped by 10 years. So here we go again.

whatevergirl
06-05-2012, 09:07 AM
I think it's not what's being banned, it's that the government banning a size of soft drink, infringes on private industry. If a fast food joint wants to sell a super size anything (so long as it's legal), that's its right to do so. The government shouldn't be allowed to infringe on private industry.

I don't care personally either, about this particular issue, but it's a slippery slope into other areas, is what some here are pointing out. That point, I lean in agreement.

Speaking of bannings...SP is banned. :( how come?

drudixon
06-05-2012, 09:22 AM

Brilliant. You're on spread.

Oceanside
06-05-2012, 09:29 AM
jesus,you'd think NYC was banning sales of all soda's by reading some of this drama

jvfranklin
06-05-2012, 09:29 AM
So let me get this straight: they want to ban something they have no business banning, that will have no effect whatsoever on obesity rates, spending tax money to enforce it, because, as Bloomberg says, "poor people are too stupid to know how much is too much." What a racist, elitist, petty little tyrant wannabe.

Normally, I wouldn't care what New Yorkers do up there, but this kind of attitude is way too prevalent in government these days. At all levels.

Mr. Furious
06-05-2012, 09:32 AM

It all started with cigarettes. I know the hate for smoking, it's a disgusting habit, but that was the all the crack the socialist/statists needed to get their foot in the door and start taking freedoms away. Nibbling slowly, because no one is paying attention until we're at this point.
Hate for smokers, hate for fat people, hate for gay people, hate for people who hate fat gay smokers...
We're all played against each other, meanwhile it's going to get so bad we won't be able to smoke, drink or eat anything but where, when and how they tell us. And there are people who will happily let them because they're engineered into thinking that government will take care of all of their problems.

mslman71
06-05-2012, 09:35 AM
Frankly, I don't give a $hit that you or anyone else judges me for not caring about New York City's proposed law

Don't flatter yourself. I won't waste the energy judging you. You are only as important as you want to be. I'm only telling you what I do and my perception of the consequences of apathy and my experiences with it. You're free to disregard any or all of what I say.

paolo59
06-05-2012, 09:51 AM
I just have a problem with a bunch of fat*%$ city council members passing laws at the drop of a hat like they were the freakin' Congress of the United States! We're 'nickled and dimed' to death as it is with regulations, dictates, dimwitted legislation, and the 'best of intentioned' *%&* for brains dogooders with their 'wouldn't it be good ifs...' New Yorkers ought to show up at the city council meating by the thousands with their 'big gulps' and supersized soft drinks to douse the SOB's!!! :(

jvfranklin
06-05-2012, 09:54 AM
I just have a problem with a bunch of fat*%$ city council members passing laws at the drop of a hat like they were the freakin' Congress of the United States! We're 'nickled and dimed' to death as it is with regulations, dictates, dimwitted legislation, and the 'best of intentioned' *%&* for brains dogooders with their 'wouldn't it be good ifs...' New Yorkers ought to show up at the city council meating by the thousands with their 'big gulps' and supersized soft drinks to douse the SOB's!!! :(

Tar and feathers would be better. :)

bodyhard
06-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Jesus F'cking Christ I just posted this cause I thought it was hilarious....

Wow....... just f'cking.......... wow...

jvfranklin
06-05-2012, 10:48 AM

http://youtu.be/qkyskI13KOs

:p

JUSA
06-05-2012, 11:37 AM
How about instead of trying to ban bathtub sized drinks in restaurants, our government pours more money into our schools' physical fitness programs? Educate children on the importance of good nutrition and regular exercise? Make ours a fit, Spartan society (without the warrior-children and the whole incest thing)? Call me crazy. Agree with you on the authoritarian bans, but in my estimation, simply throwing Government money at a problem generally does not do much to improve it -- and often makes the situation worse in the long run.

I can't do anything about anyone elses children, but I can make sure mine know how to eat properly and make them follow a good diet when they are with me. Hopefully, I will install good eating habits within them. I think if more people did that, it would be far more effective than the Government throwing money into education and banning sodas or whatever else they try.

whatevergirl
06-05-2012, 11:52 AM

well. WE take it all so very seriously, so there! :p

bodyhard
06-05-2012, 11:55 AM
well. WE take it all so very seriously, so there! :p

http://alexlod.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/why-so-serious.jpeg

Life is too short to be so serious...:D

IronCharles
06-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Speaking of bannings...SP is banned. :( how come?Because of his thread on taxidermy, I think. He'll be back next month. He says, "So long, and thanks for all the fish."

Brackneyc
06-05-2012, 10:57 PM

Your mayor is telling you, that YOU aren't smart enough to make your own decisions about what, and how much you eat. Not too much funny about that imo.

theKurp
06-06-2012, 05:28 AM
Your mayor is telling you, that YOU aren't smart enough to make your own decisions about what, and how much you eat. Not too much funny about that imo.

Given that two-thirds of the population is either overweight or obese, it would appear that New York's mayor has good reason to believe most people have little self-control.

bodyhard
06-06-2012, 09:37 AM

Not funny as in ha ha funny, funny as in there are so many other f'cking things you can be concentrating on and this is what you do as a mayor?

But not so much that I would f'cking lose sleep over it, he wants to do that, who the f'ck cares, I sure as hell don't.

Mr. Furious
06-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Not funny as in ha ha funny, funny as in there are so many other f'cking things you can be concentrating on and this is what you do as a mayor?

But not so much that I would f'cking lose sleep over it, he wants to do that, who the f'ck cares, I sure as hell don't.

You will when it's something that matters to you. And at the rate Bloomberg's and others like him are going it will sooner or later.

Brackneyc
06-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Given that two-thirds of the population is either overweight or obese, it would appear that New York's mayor has good reason to believe most people have little self-control.

When that becomes his business, I will be all for meaningful, well thought out suggestions for change. Limiting the "size" (and not the quantity) is as dumb as those who drink diet soda with their Super-sized" meals. But, we do get the representation we deserve, so there is that.

danap3681
06-06-2012, 12:09 PM

Leave it to you to stir a heated debate! (Been missing all of you guys over the past couple of weeks and these posts)

**LOVING THE NEW AVI BODY HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IronCharles
06-06-2012, 12:48 PM
(Been missing all of you guys over the past couple of weeks and these posts)So, how was the food in jail? :D

theKurp
06-06-2012, 01:02 PM
When that becomes his business, I will be all for meaningful, well thought out suggestions for change. Limiting the "size" (and not the quantity) is as dumb as those who drink diet soda with their Super-sized" meals. But, we do get the representation we deserve, so there is that.

Or perhaps the mayor is simply trying to raise obesity awareness and build an identity for New York City as a health conscious city. How is this any different than the 2 beer limit per transaction that has become common place at sporting events - especially when you can get right back in line and buy two more?

Despite the "sky is falling" hyperbole, this is not an encroachment on freedoms or even the precursor to it. This is an attempt at modifying behavior by limiting convenience. And the last time I checked, convenience isn't a protected right under the Constitution.

Mr. Furious
06-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Or perhaps the mayor is simply trying to raise obesity awareness and build an identity for New York City as a health conscious city. How is this any different than the 2 beer limit per transaction that has become common place at sporting events - especially when you can get right back in line and buy two more?

Despite the "sky is falling" hyperbole, this is not an encroachment on freedoms or even the precursor to it. This is an attempt at modifying behavior by limiting convenience. And the last time I checked, convenience isn't a protected right under the Constitution.

You can't legislate morality.

Brackneyc
06-06-2012, 01:15 PM

Maybe it would be more relative to the targeted population if they had a scale in each facility, and only the obese folks would have their choices limited.

mslman71
06-06-2012, 01:16 PM
I think it is a bad law drafted by stupid people. I think it is ill conceived, will be ineffective, and amounts to a complete waste of time and energy. It is no different than attempting to legislate morality. It will make no difference whatsoever in obesity rates. The only awareness it raises is that the people in charge of NYC have absolutely no clue what they are doing. It is made no better or no more effective by virtue of comparable legislative jackassery in other states and cities.

If this is what NYC wants then more power to them. As far as I know it isn't protected at the federal level so if the state of NY has an issue with it it is up to them to follow up. This is another example of why I do like our system of government and the concept of States' rights. NYC can drown itself in bay if that's what they want to do, NY can let them, so long as the filth doesn't leak over into my state.

theKurp
06-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Maybe it would be more relative to the targeted population if they had a scale in each facility, and only the obese folks would have their choices limited.

What choice is being limited? If and when the ban passes in New York City, a customer can still fill their guts with as much soda as they want. They can still "choose" to drink 12 oz, 16 oz, 24 oz, or 12 gallons if they want.

Brackneyc
06-06-2012, 01:24 PM
What choice is being limited? If and when the ban passes in New York City, a customer can still fill their guts with as much soda as they want. They can still "choose" to drink 12 oz, 16 oz, 24 oz, or 12 gallons if they want.

So you agree with me (and the others) that it is just a very stupid plan (reflecting quite accurately upon the writers and supporters of said plan) with no real affect on, well ....anything. No affect on fatness or fitness.

To your point on raising awareness about obesity...LOL @ that. Everyone knows, especially the fat folks.

theKurp
06-06-2012, 01:24 PM
I think it is a bad law drafted by stupid people. I think it is ill conceived, will be ineffective, and amounts to a complete waste of time and energy. It is no different than attempting to legislate morality. It will make no difference whatsoever in obesity rates.

Do you think the 2 beer limit per transaction has had any effect on the extent of inebriation at sporting events?

mslman71
06-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Do you think the 2 beer limit per transaction has had any effect on the extent of inebriation at sporting events?

... It is made no better or no more effective by virtue of comparable legislative jackassery in other states and cities..

^^^

IronCharles
06-06-2012, 01:26 PM
The problem is, are you (we) willing to pay to enforce this? Are you (we) willing to pay more taxes for extra cops to monitor the soda drinkers? More DAs to prosecute? More judges, court clerks, dispatchers, etc? How about paying for more jail space to house the illicit soda offenders? Oh, wait..... you say enforcement won't be strict...... then why even bother?

Brackneyc
06-06-2012, 01:29 PM

This would be easy to check. Did the number of arrests/complaints go down after the rule was put into place?

danap3681
06-06-2012, 02:24 PM
So, how was the food in jail? :D

I actually learned to enjoy the bologna sammiches! :)

bodyhard
06-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Leave it to you to stir a heated debate! (Been missing all of you guys over the past couple of weeks and these posts)

**LOVING THE NEW AVI BODY HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where have you been?

Thanks for the props!

Oceanside
06-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Where have you been?

Thanks for the props!

shut up john

danap3681
06-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Where have you been?

Thanks for the props!

Busy at work and back and forth to doctors appointments with my husband. He got final test yesterday from pulmonologist. Great report on that :) No lung cancer. Now off to get results on bone marrow test tomorrow & find out what treatments (if any) he will have to get for the lymphoma. Been a roller coaster ride but we are nearing the end of the testing phase so we are relieved for that.

But shhhh... Iron Charles thinks I just finished a short stay in the "clink" !

danap3681
06-06-2012, 05:12 PM
shut up john

LOL! You & BH are still at it huh? At least that hasn't changed. :)

IronCharles
06-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Iron Charles thinks I just finished a short stay in the "clink" !http://www.66batman.com/yabbfiles/Attachments/-__0--0-0-0Colonel_Klink.jpg

Great news on the lung test! Wishing for a speedy recovery for your husband.

danap3681
06-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Great news on the lung test! Wishing for a speedy recovery for your husband.

Thanks so much! On spread :(

bodyhard
06-06-2012, 05:55 PM
shut up john

Go back to your cookies, bitch.

Busy at work and back and forth to doctors appointments with my husband. He got final test yesterday from pulmonologist. Great report on that :) No lung cancer. Now off to get results on bone marrow test tomorrow & find out what treatments (if any) he will have to get for the lymphoma. Been a roller coaster ride but we are nearing the end of the testing phase so we are relieved for that.

But shhhh... Iron Charles thinks I just finished a short stay in the "clink" !

Glad to hear sweetie, hmm women in prison....

danap3681
06-06-2012, 05:58 PM
hmm women in prison....

I have seen such things on "Lockdown". Not thinking that would be very appealing. :)

bodyhard
06-06-2012, 06:00 PM
I have seen such things on "Lockdown". Not thinking that would be very appealing. :)

LOL @ lockdown, where are you from again :)

Oceanside
06-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Go back to your cookies, bitch.

funny you should say that jonathon because I've been pretty good for the last week or and I just may indulge tonight