PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get nervous/anxious about spending large sums of money?

AlphaDog3
06-01-2012, 02:34 PM
I guess "large" is a relative term. I'm talking about things like buying a car, buying a home, or significant home improvements. I'm not rich, but I live pretty comfortably and realize I have it well off. I don't live beyond my means, but when I have to spend money on something like that I get anxiety about my decision. I usually go with a company/contractor someone has recommended, but also get a couple quotes just to make sure his prices are in line.

The latest one that is eating me up is some landscaping work I am having done. Of course it is costing more than I thought it it would, but his prices are in the ballpark of what I have researched. I saw him and working on one of my neighbors yards and it looks great... best yard in the neighborhood.

I guess I'm pretty much worrying about nothing.

cowboybiker
06-01-2012, 02:54 PM
My wife doesnt.

mtpockets
06-01-2012, 02:58 PM
I get nervous every time I blow the dust off my wallet.

GuyJin
06-01-2012, 02:59 PM
If I had large sums of money then I'd worry. In my case, I don't.

AlphaDog3
06-01-2012, 03:03 PM
My wife doesnt.

LOL... that's a pretty funny reply. She probably has better (i.e. more expensive) taste than you or I.

I get nervous every time I blow the dust off my wallet.

Haha

If I had large sums of money then I'd worry. In my case, I don't.

Exactly man... first world problem. I always end up going with legit contractors or companies, so even if I end up paying a little more it costs less in the long run to do it right the first time.

I think I am just a worrier. Really, I've got nothing to worry about in this case. Still, if I let my brain run wild I can convince myself I'm getting screwed. No idea why I let myself even worry like this... worst case scenario never happens in situations like this.

ChocoChick
06-01-2012, 03:06 PM
I tend to agonoze over anything that I consider a major purchase. I think about whether the money would be better put into savings and, often, the answer is yes. When the answer is not yes, I do a lot of research to ensure that I am spending my money wisely. And I never buy what I can't afford and pay all credit card bills in full each month. Debt makes me nervous.

AlphaDog3
06-01-2012, 03:16 PM
I tend to agonoze over anything that I consider a major purchase. I think about whether the money would be better put into savings and, often, the answer is yes. When the answer is not yes, I do a lot of research to ensure that I am spending my money wisely. And I never buy what I can't afford and pay all credit card bills in full each month. Debt makes me nervous.

That is pretty much me, too. I don't know why I worry when so far I have made great decisions thus far in these cases. I guess if someone screws me then they screw me and there's not much I can do about it... but I guess that is why you pay more for a known guy than some random guy you find on craigslist who can do the job for half the price.

StressMonkey
06-01-2012, 09:26 PM
I know many people who have been flippant about money and it's gotten them into trouble. I prefer your method.

DocHoss
06-01-2012, 10:44 PM
That's me too. I'm not a cheapskate, but I don't like to spend money unnecessarily. I will pay more for something better, but I tend not to want "stuff". We've got a 25 year old car with 276 k miles and a 21 year old truck with 201 k miles. A new car would be nice, but is hard to justify when the old one is still running. I like to say I'll drive it until the wheels come off - which happened to me once in a previous vehicle.

thepowerwithin
06-02-2012, 04:57 AM
I, too, fret about spending; even for smaller, nonessential items. In the past I've ended up feeling buyer's remorse for purchases, wondering if I got ripped off or saying to myself that I really didn't need it. It's a terrible feeling. You can't even enjoy the damn thing. At times I've ended up returning stuff just to deal with my anxiety.

I think some of it comes from growing up dirt poor, as well as being married to someone for 20 years who was the most frugal person on the planet and tended to shame me at times for purchases. I am not a huge spender, but I do like a reliable car versus a rust bucket :rolleyes: Shame on me!

I've learned that I need to wait it out and eventually the answer will come of whether it's a good deal or a smart buy. I do a lot of comparison shopping and read many reviews and this is what really helps me make a decision and make the purchase without regret.

Hell, I just bought my son a car 3 weeks ago and I am totally happy with the purchase/price/value, but did feel a moderate amount of anxiety.

beachguy498
06-02-2012, 06:39 AM
I'm in this house for 25 years and have been averaging $11K in inprovements every year... u do the math, a hefty sum. Some I have done it large $30-40K lumps at a time. I do my research and get prices and have stuck with people who do a consistent job. I have one guy I use for all my masonry work and he gives me a good deal. I used the same landscape company to do a couple of large jobs as well, looks mint, money well spent.

Buying cars... to get a reasonable payment I end up laying down $7-8K cash. That bothers me a bit still. Probably any purchase I make under $1K, I don't bat an eye at it.

Rob

thepowerwithin
06-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Buying cars... to get a reasonable payment I end up laying down $7-8K cash. That bothers me a bit still. Probably any purchase I make under $1K, I don't bat an eye at it.

Rob

I put $7K down on my son's car. My payments are itty bitty. Still, I hate paying interest.

Frnkd
06-02-2012, 02:56 PM
no.....cause I know the government has a good bail out plan................bankruptcy.

Frnkd
06-02-2012, 02:57 PM
you know I kid.....^^^^^

I take responsibility and due diligence in researching a large purchase, of course I've had a few bad decisions.

X-ring
06-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Having a craps table maxed out at 10g in chips......that gets the ticker going for sure. Epic moment. Guy rolled 34 pts in a row on my table till he sevened out.
Walked away w/ 17g from a thousand buy-in.

LisaSkinnoble
06-02-2012, 06:08 PM
I am a frugal auld biddy. I save up for what I need (right now, that's kitchen appliances), and even though I have the money, I don't like spending it. I really do fret. I was feeling faint when we bought our last car. Seriously. The saleswoman said, "Are you okay? Can I get you a glass of water?" I was white as a sheet and really feeling faint. No regrets, I just don't like parting with money. lol...

And right now, my dishwasher screeches everytime I run it. And my laundry washing machine is making these crazy groaning sounds. My fridge light hasn't worked in a year. But the food is still cold. I just can't bear to throw stuff out until it no longer works. I know logically that I should be out shopping, but the likelihood is, I won't buy until they die. But, I've done my homework and I know where I'm going to buy them. :)

I had my mom's 1972 Sears Kenmore crockpot in harvest gold. One day, the lid broke. I hung on to that bloody crockpot in the garage for 6 months before throwing it out.

Then, a few weeks later, I told my friend the story and she said (before I got to the part about throwing out the crockpot), "No worries, I have a lid from a casserole dish that fits those old crockpots perfectly!"

Yeah, I cried again.

-=FLEX=-
06-02-2012, 06:15 PM
I I was feeling faint when we bought our last car. Seriously. The saleswoman said, "Are you okay? Can I get you a glass of water?" I was white as a sheet and really feeling faint. No regrets, I just don't like parting with money. lol...

Was soooooooooooooooooo waiting for you to post in this thread.

Holy hell when we bought that car it was the most exciting day of my life. I wanted that car for 4 freaking years. I felt like doing a Snoopy Dance across the floor in the dealership. Everyone was mirin' the car and talking to me about it. Lisa literally looked like she was going to pass out. True story. This was the 3rd new car we've bought together and it was pretty much the same scenario the other two times, but not quite as bad.

I hate spending money on the small stuff, because it all adds up. I can't even remember the last time I bought anything for myself.

But when we bought all 3 of those cars I didn't even blink. :) :D

Bando
06-02-2012, 07:06 PM
my dishwasher screeches everytime I run it. And my laundry washing machine is making these crazy groaning sounds. My fridge light hasn't worked in a year.

I fix this stuff around my house all the time. Learned from my Dad, take it apart, figure out what's wrong, fix it and then hope you can remember how it goes back together. I hope you replaced the bulb in the fridge at least;)

LisaSkinnoble
06-02-2012, 07:17 PM
I fix this stuff around my house all the time. Learned from my Dad, take it apart, figure out what's wrong, fix it and then hope you can remember how it goes back together. I hope you replaced the bulb in the fridge at least;)

I did replace it, and it still won't work. Can you and Mrs Bando come up for a weekend and have a look-see? You look at my fridge, washer and dishwasher, and Mr Flexy will provide you with steaks for three days? Deal?

Oh and there's a toilet upstairs in Liam's bathroom that seems to run all the time.

Bando
06-02-2012, 07:23 PM
I did replace it, and it still won't work. Can you and Mrs Bando come up for a weekend and have a look-see? You look at my fridge, washer and dishwasher, and Mr Flexy will provide you with steaks for three days? Deal?

Oh and there's a toilet upstairs in Liam's bathroom that seems to run all the time.

Will try for late July, sounds like a fun weekend :rolleyes: :p

thepowerwithin
06-02-2012, 07:43 PM

My dryer was taking 2 cycles to dry and this week I had enough. I started Googling and watched a couple you tube videos. I moved that sucker out and took the whole back off and lint trap and took the shop vac to it and cleaned out the vents and hoses and now it's drying beautifully. I was pretty darn proud of myself :D.

Bando
06-02-2012, 08:39 PM
My dryer was taking 2 cycles to dry and this week I had enough. I started Googling and watched a couple you tube videos. I moved that sucker out and took the whole back off and lint trap and took the shop vac to it and cleaned out the vents and hoses and now it's drying beautifully. I was pretty darn proud of myself :D.

The interwebz haz pretty much put the Maytag man outa business. I'm glad, I have a Whirlpool Duet front loading washer which is very good at washing clothes, but very finiky, glad I've been able to look up all the error codes since I've owned it.

bigbrothaz
06-02-2012, 08:55 PM
ahah, not anymore, if you want to feel like me and get rich enough to dont care about,PM, can teach you how brahh !

so-tex
06-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Nope. I have to borrow 750K+ per year for our farming and ranching operation. Back in the 90's, it was only around 250K. I worried more back in the early 90's than I do today. I can't explain why, other than my give a damn is broken. My dad, the good man that he was told me this. "Son, when you were a baby, when your mother or I needed a new car or truck, I would take ten calves to the auction barn and sell them. This would pay for the vechicle." Today (this was 2010) "Now we have to sell 100 calves to pay for a vechicle." Things do not cost anymore than they did back then though. Take the price of gas for instance. The price of gas in the late 60's and early 70's was around .22 cents per gallon. Today it is the same price if you pay with it in silver or gold. Folks, our dollar is not worth much right now.

StressMonkey
06-02-2012, 11:32 PM
My fridge light hasn't worked in a year. But the food is still cold. I just can't bear to throw stuff out until it no longer works. I know logically that I should be out shopping, but the likelihood is, I won't buy until they die.

My fridge has got to be at least 16 years old. The thing won't die and I don't feel like replacing it until it does.

Holy hell when we bought that car it was the most exciting day of my life. I wanted that car for 4 freaking years. I felt like doing a Snoopy Dance across the floor in the dealership. Everyone was mirin' the car and talking to me about it. Lisa literally looked like she was going to pass out. True story.

I find this hilarious for some reason.

Karl_Hungus
06-03-2012, 12:17 AM
No, I don't fret about it. But, whenever I do spend large sums, I make sure I can afford it, and that the purchase is necessary. My last big purchase was a car ... which I desperately needed. If I were buying something unneeded, like a big screen TV or something, I would agonize over it. But I never really do that.

thepowerwithin
06-03-2012, 05:03 AM
The interwebz haz pretty much put the Maytag man outa business. I'm glad, I have a Whirlpool Duet front loading washer which is very good at washing clothes, but very finiky, glad I've been able to look up all the error codes since I've owned it.

Well, I still had residual disgust from having called out the appliance guy last month to fix the fridge water dispenser, which was choking and burping instead of emitting a steady stream of water. It was a $40 valve. The bill was $185. Ugh. Not sure if I could have fixed it, but I would have surely tried.

dbx
06-03-2012, 05:38 AM
Everything being relative, no, not really. I do have the occasional, "Damn, I can't believe I ordered that!" syndrome (I buy most everything on-line for almost 20yrs now), the next day, but that's just because I drank too many beers :D. But seriously, I buy whatever I want, whenever I want (and obviously, whenever I can afford to, lol) and have no regrets.

This thread reminds me of my oldest son; he wanted me to go with him to check out/buy a car last year. We see the car...I bargain the guy down...I tell him it's a great deal...and I KNOW he loves the car, but he's like....really, really hesitant. I asked, "What's wrong? This is a great deal...and what you wanted." He replies, "I know, I know, but I've never spent this much money before."

LOL, to me, it was a few grand. To him...it was the world. I'll never forget that :)

chodan9
06-03-2012, 06:02 AM
I get some anxiety on large purchase (ie 10K or higher type purchases) not as much as my Delilah (my wife). but I will get to a point and think "we really want/need this and this is what its going to cost" and the anxiety melts away.
If the anxiousness doesn't pass I really have to examine how much I want it or need it. Otherwise it could be a passing thing that if I wait a week I will not even want it anymore.

drudixon
06-03-2012, 06:16 AM
Buyers remorse

dbx
06-03-2012, 06:20 AM
Buyers remorse

Yeah, but it can be explained in many ways, thus, this thread....sort of :).

djflex
06-03-2012, 07:00 AM
Everything being relative, no, not really. I do have the occasional, "Damn, I can't believe I ordered that!" syndrome (I buy most everything on-line for almost 20yrs now), the next day, but that's just because I drank too many beers :D. But seriously, I buy whatever I want, whenever I want (and obviously, whenever I can afford to, lol) and have no regrets.
I've never spent this much money before."

Ha! I have ordered all kinds of stuff online while having a few...lol its even more dangerous now that i can do it from my phone!

PowerFlex
06-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Agonize? No, I really do not.....

I do watch my money very carefully, no matter what I purchase. I was taught growing up that money is a tool, to be used and used wisely. And with that I have been rather successful in the handling of my money.

As far as big purchases, I research and even before I do that, I know exactly how much money I am going to spend and that is exactly what is spent. Realtors and salespeople probably don't like me as I will not be talked into anything I do not want......and I have literally walked away from deals that aren't to my liking.

Cars.....people tend to agonize over them a bit. To me, a car is transportation, bottom line. I usually get a demo instead of paying full bore, and I do not finance....... I write a check for it and call it a day. I then drive it until it's dead and then repeat the same thing. It's a plan that has worked very well for me.

So, no angst, and what little angst I MAY have gets worked out in the gym..

AlphaDog3
06-09-2012, 10:24 AM
I'm in this house for 25 years and have been averaging $11K in inprovements every year... u do the math, a hefty sum. Some I have done it large $30-40K lumps at a time. I do my research and get prices and have stuck with people who do a consistent job. I have one guy I use for all my masonry work and he gives me a good deal. I used the same landscape company to do a couple of large jobs as well, looks mint, money well spent.

Rob

House improvements are the main thing for me... now my fence on one side is leaning over!! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put up a new fence (shadow box style) and the post still seem good, so I am thinking about just buying the material and finding a handy man to do it. I could do it myself, but it seems like a waste of a day off.

Good thing is by this time next week I should have a great looking yard and I am in process of refinancing my house so it will be paid off by the time I am 45.

I guess I am just frugal, but I also have a bit of cynicism that leads me to believe people are trying to screw me over.

hochspeyer
06-10-2012, 07:23 AM
I generally have a bit of nervousness or anxiety while doing the research before the purchase. Actually handing the money over or signing the paperwork is generally not a problem, as I've done the research and sold myself on the product or service.

rendylee
06-10-2012, 08:51 AM

HAHAHA. thought of my dad when reading this.....my dad can fix and do almost anything, just one of those guys. I was telling my mom how envious I was that her and dad never need to hire anyone to fix or do things....and she goes, Yes Ren, but the downside is that we never get anything new :D!