PDA

View Full Version : So I got the "You know I am too old to lift heavy" at the gym tonight.

bodyhard
05-31-2012, 05:43 PM
At the gym tonight, a guy ask to work in with me. He went on to say, you know I can't lift as heavy anymore I am too old. (because he kept dropping the weight every time it was his turn.) I wasn't listening to him, just kept shaking my head in acknowledgement and helping him drop the weight for his set and then adding it back on when it was my turn. But then he goes on to say, once again, you know when you get this old you just can't keep going and then he tells me he is 40!

At this point I told him, dude I am 47, you are not old.

gray73
05-31-2012, 05:58 PM
40? I'll be 39 this year and I don't feel any different than I did when I was 20. 40 is far from "old".
Show him how it's done, BH. :)

bodyhard
05-31-2012, 06:02 PM
40? I'll be 39 this year and I don't feel any different than I did when I was 20. 40 is far from "old".
Show him how it's done, BH. :)

Gray this guy went on and on, on why he couldn't lift the way he used to. Although I was not listening to him he kept talking, he wasn't rude more annoying than anything.

But what got me the most was, when he kept saying he was old and due to his appearance, I thought he was 53 or 55. And when he said 40 I was taken aback.

Getfitfornow
05-31-2012, 06:10 PM
That happened to me about a year or so and he was 10 years younger then me, I told him to quit acting baby and he mumbled something and walked away, i followed him then nailed him in the face, he now trains with me sometimes and is a good guy now, just needed wake up call.

bodyhard
05-31-2012, 06:13 PM
That happened to me about a year or so and he was 10 years younger then me, I told him to quit acting baby and he mumbled something and walked away, i followed him then nailed him in the face, he now trains with me sometimes and is a good guy now, just needed wake up call.

You nailed him in the face? What the hell does that mean?

Getfitfornow
05-31-2012, 06:18 PM
You nailed him in the face? What the hell does that mean?punch, bam, sock it to him.

gray73
05-31-2012, 06:19 PM
Gray this guy went on and on, on why he couldn't lift the way he used to. Although I was not listening to him he kept talking, he wasn't rude more annoying than anything.

But what got me the most was, when he kept saying he was old and due to his appearance, I thought he was 53 or 55. And when he said 40 I was taken aback.
I look older than what I really am also. I look like I am in my early 50's. Serious. Don't let anyone tell you years of alcohol abuse and smoking doesn't age your appereance. It sure does. But, at only 40, there is no reason to be acting like a 80 year old. LOL.

pharmamarketer
05-31-2012, 06:20 PM
punch, bam, sock it to him.

Cool. What a stud

so-tex
05-31-2012, 06:22 PM
Yup. 50 years old. I am lifting heavier than I was in my 20's.

Getfitfornow
05-31-2012, 06:22 PM
Cool. What a studHey he needed it, he thanks me now as it got him back on track and we become good friends.

so-tex
05-31-2012, 06:24 PM
Hey he needed it, he thanks me now as it got him back on track and we become good friends.Yeah. Sure he did. :rolleyes:.

pharmamarketer
05-31-2012, 06:27 PM
Hey he needed it, he thanks me now as it got him back on track and we become good friends.

Like I said. What a stud. I hope to be half the man you are some day

Getfitfornow
05-31-2012, 06:29 PM
Like I said. What a stud. I hope to be half the man you are some dayIts ok, not everyone can take matters in there own hands, you know they are not go getters. I do what needs doing and nothing stops me, theres the difference between me and most who just coast through boring life.

tmonkey
05-31-2012, 06:30 PM
At this point I told him, dude I am 47, you are not old.

and then what happened!?!?!

pharmamarketer
05-31-2012, 06:36 PM
Its ok, not everyone can take matters in there own hands, you know they are not go getters. I do what needs doing and nothing stops me, theres the difference between me and most who just coast through boring life.

Do you have a poster or glamour shot you can sign and send me? I need some inspiration

-=FLEX=-
05-31-2012, 06:38 PM
At this point I told him, dude I am 47, you way too old.

Way too old. All of us.

Getfitfornow
05-31-2012, 06:39 PM
Do you have a poster or glamour shot you can sign and send me? I need some inspirationI can't give you inspiration,you have it or you don't, maybe you need a punch in the face to wake you up?

powernpain
05-31-2012, 06:39 PM
T
I followed him then nailed him in the face, he now trains with me sometimes and is a good guy now, just needed wake up call.

Seems a little harsh, can't say I've seen that before. ;)

gray73
05-31-2012, 06:40 PM
Seriously?
You punched a guy in the face because he said he felt old? Sounds like a douchebag move to me. I'd have knocked you the fuk out.

Getfitfornow
05-31-2012, 06:42 PM
Seriously?
You punched a guy in the face because he said he felt old? Sounds like a douchebag move to me. I'd have knocked you the fuk out.Theres the difference between you and me,I new when to do it and the right time, you would do it for fun,I do it to help him.

powernpain
05-31-2012, 06:42 PM
Seriously?
You punched a guy in the face because he said he felt old? Sounds like a douchebag move to me. I'd have knocked you the fuk out.

at this point, its seems rational!

pharmamarketer
05-31-2012, 06:46 PM
I can't give you inspiration,you have it or you don't, maybe you need a punch in the face to wake you up?

What a fukin' bad ass. I am going to go pray to Thor and his bad ass brothers and ask that they give me the strength and fortitude that you have. You sir are all Alpha. Keep kickin ass. You need to write a book. You could change lives

powernpain
05-31-2012, 06:53 PM
Theres the difference between you and me, I do it to help him.

I marvel at the thought of having you as a gym member, they are lucky to have a gem like you among them.

bodyhard
05-31-2012, 06:58 PM
punch, bam, sock it to him.

Wow, you really are a badass, remind me never to ever f'ck with you if we ever meet. You use words like nailed him, bam and sock it to him.

and then what happened!?!?!
The usual sh!t, "ohh man you don't look it how long have you been training" yada yada yada, I really didn't take him serious

Getfitfornow
05-31-2012, 07:01 PM
I marvel at the thought of having you as a gym member, they are lucky to have a gem like you among them.thanks, hey I am a nice guy and help out lots of gym people but I did what was right even though it seems tough, like i said we train together at least once a week and laugh at it now.

tmonkey
05-31-2012, 07:05 PM
thanks, hey I am a nice guy and help out lots of gym people but I did what was right even though it seems tough, like i said we train together at least once a week and laugh at it now.

but watch out bro. just when you least expect it pow, right in the kisser

beachguy498
05-31-2012, 07:11 PM
I hear that all the time, people (men and women) who profess to be old at age 40. What happens when they get to 70??? I still lift as heavy as my back injury lets me and I'm 57. I still basically feel the same as I did at age 20 and I'm a lot stronger now.

Rob

bodyhard
05-31-2012, 07:17 PM
I hear that all the time, people (men and women) who profess to be old at age 40. What happens when they get to 70??? I still lift as heavy as my back injury lets me and I'm 57. I still basically feel the same as I did at age 20 and I'm a lot stronger now.

Rob

He kept making excuses after excuses. Just some of the stuff he was saying: he always started with You kn0w,
You know your bones just can't take the strain as well anymore,
You know, your muscle just don't respond as well,
You know I just train to maintain now. I used to be really strong and this was light for me
You know, I train smart now.

And when I told him my age, it is like all his energy on why he couldn't anymore was drained from him.

sakustoms
05-31-2012, 07:20 PM
I know I'm stronger and in better shape now than I was in my 20s or 30s, and I only plan on getting better from here.

People need to stop making excuses and take responsibility for themselves. They either want it or they don't.

beachguy498
05-31-2012, 07:23 PM
He kept making excuses after excuses. Just some of the stuff he was saying: he always started with You kn0w,
You know I just train to maintain now. I used to be really strong and this was light for me

And when I told him my age, it is like all his energy on why he couldn't anymore was drained from him.

Set him up and knocked him down, lol. Sounds like he was one of those eternally defeated sorry sacks of shti that we run across.. rarely thank god.

Rob

vforgy
05-31-2012, 07:31 PM
Got a guy that trains same time as me in mornings older guy maybe early sixteen lifting heavy as phuck putting most guys including my skinny ass to shame. He's inspirational to me.

And I could only wish to meet a guy who'd "nail me in the face" after a workout to motivate me. Good luck with 2012 eating solid foods goal.

V-240
05-31-2012, 07:41 PM
Wow, you really are a badass, remind me never to ever f'ck with you if we ever meet. You use words like nailed him, bam and sock it to him...

He must be Fred Flintstone!!

but watch out bro. just when you least expect it pow, right in the kisser

Oh, so now he's Ralph Kramden. You forgot "BANG, ZOOM!!!" :cool:

I grouse a lot and often say "I'm gitn too old for this shti!" But it's just my way of venting away the pain. Then I resume. Age isn't an excuse, misuse of one's health is. Attitude is everything. Sounds like that dude ought to just stay home, lol.

bodyhard
05-31-2012, 07:55 PM
He must be Fred Flintstone!!

Oh, so now he's Ralph Kramden. You forgot "BANG, ZOOM!!!" :cool:

I grouse a lot and often say "I'm gitn too old for this shti!" But it's just my way of venting away the pain. Then I resume. Age isn't an excuse, misuse of one's health is. Attitude is everything. Sounds like that dude ought to just stay home, lol.

I hear ya man.

Keltron
05-31-2012, 08:45 PM
But what got me the most was, when he kept saying he was old and due to his appearance, I thought he was 53 or 55. And when he said 40 I was taken aback.Well, it's true what they say.. when you think you're old, you will look and feel like it. If you think you're young, you'll always look younger than you are and you'll never feel as old as you should.

Lou1se
05-31-2012, 09:35 PM

You drained his energy!!! That's got to be worser than nailing him in the face..

paolo59
05-31-2012, 10:28 PM
Well, it's true what they say.. when you think you're old, you will look and feel like it. If you think you're young, you'll always look younger than you are and you'll never feel as old as you should.

Words to live by! Despite what the years do. It's all between the ears little brother! Absolutely everything. These *%$*#(N' muscleheads think life is in the gym. You don't find life with iron, it just helps relieve some stress, and does a body good! The gym is what helps us get through life! I still want to see a bank with 'Keltron' in shining lights on top of it! LMAO Take my 'gigs' in good humor brother! :) I'm an old mother-*%&$*%! LOL

:) :) :)

thebigguy1
05-31-2012, 11:56 PM
Words to live by! Despite what the years do. It's all between the ears little brother! Absolutely everything. These *%$*#(N' muscleheads think life is in the gym. You don't find life with iron, it just helps relieve some stress, and does a body good! The gym is what helps us get through life! I still want to see a bank with 'Keltron' in shining lights on top of it! LMAO Take my 'gigs' in good humor brother! :) I'm an old mother-*%&$*%! LOL

:) :) :)

Agreed!

I know for me, the gym is the BEST therapy out there! In addition to building the body, it is the best stress reliever. I get to the gym, get into my workout and everything else melts away.

As far as being "too old to lift heavy", well, that's on them if they want to limit themselves that way. I just say "bye, I gotta lift" and leave them right there. If you've convinced or tell yourself that you are too old to lift heavy/light/or whatever, well, you ARE too old....

I had an incident a few weeks ago, it did not not happen in a gym, but when I was picking up cement bags at a landscaping store and putting them into my SUV. A guy who worked at the store was watching me load up, remarked to on of his co-workers "yeah, I used to be built huge like that guy there, but that was many years ago", he then grinned and did a bicep flex. The guy was vastly overweight and out of shape, but I could tell that if he did lift, he could build a pretty decent physique. I walked over and said "thanks for the comment, I try........BTW how old are you if you don't mind me asking?". He told me he was 43...all I said was "it's never too late you know." And we talked a little about working out and he mentioned getting back into the gym. I then sprang it on him that I was 52, soon to be 53. He said "BS!" and I said "no, 1959".! He just looked dumbfounded and in disbelief. I said "I sure wouldn't lie about that, I'm damn proud of 52 myself!" He laughed.....it was pretty cool.

I left, and I am sure he is still thinking of getting back to the gym.....if he hasn't already.

In short, you either program yourself to fail or to succeed, pure and simple :)

Ron III---III

Tyrbolift
06-01-2012, 12:27 AM
A gym is one place, of many, where you encounter people who are full of sh!t. Especially the talkative, friendly ones. 40 just happens to be the "latest" excuse.

Before that, it was "injured my back" or "I have 'x' medical condition".

After he tries out "40" for a while, he'll go back to one of his old reliable standby's.

Frnkd
06-01-2012, 01:01 AM
....... when he kept saying he was old and due to his appearance, I thought he was 53 or 55. And when he said 40 I was taken aback.

LMAO on this ^^^^^ I'm 56 soon to be 57 ugh, where does that put me....LOL. I feel I am at the best I have ever felt and looked. I guess for my age that is something......btw...the over 55 menus and discounts on Tuesday's are great! when reality hits it just motivates me in the gym to defy it even more.....LOL.

LIFE IS GOOD!

Lou1se
06-01-2012, 02:51 AM
Agreed!

I know for me, the gym is the BEST therapy out there! In addition to building the body, it is the best stress reliever. I get to the gym, get into my workout and everything else melts away.

As far as being "too old to lift heavy", well, that's on them if they want to limit themselves that way. I just say "bye, I gotta lift" and leave them right there. If you've convinced or tell yourself that you are too old to lift heavy/light/or whatever, well, you ARE too old....

I had an incident a few weeks ago, it did not not happen in a gym, but when I was picking up cement bags at a landscaping store and putting them into my SUV. A guy who worked at the store was watching me load up, remarked to on of his co-workers "yeah, I used to be built huge like that guy there, but that was many years ago", he then grinned and did a bicep flex. The guy was vastly overweight and out of shape, but I could tell that if he did lift, he could build a pretty decent physique. I walked over and said "thanks for the comment, I try........BTW how old are you if you don't mind me asking?". He told me he was 43...all I said was "it's never too late you know." And we talked a little about working out and he mentioned getting back into the gym. I then sprang it on him that I was 52, soon to be 53. He said "BS!" and I said "no, 1959".! He just looked dumbfounded and in disbelief. I said "I sure wouldn't lie about that, I'm damn proud of 52 myself!" He laughed.....it was pretty cool.

I left, and I am sure he is still thinking of getting back to the gym.....if he hasn't already.

In short, you either program yourself to fail or to succeed, pure and simple :)

Ron III---III

Great story TBG! You sure nailed him :D

Tried to rep but on spread.

beachguy498
06-01-2012, 04:00 AM
A gym is one place, of many, where you encounter people who are full of sh!t. Especially the talkative, friendly ones. 40 just happens to be the "latest" excuse.

Before that, it was "injured my back" or "I have 'x' medical condition".

After he tries out "40" for a while, he'll go back to one of his old reliable standby's.

I'm lucky, hardly anyone talks to me at the gym. It seems like too many people have an arrary of convenient excuses, they just dust one off and put it on when they set themselves up to fail. But that goes beyond the gym, it goes into their home and work lives as well.

Rob

latebloomingmom
06-01-2012, 04:05 AM
I'm lucky, hardly anyone talks to me at the gym. It seems like too many people have an arrary of convenient excuses, they just dust one off and put it on when they set themselves up to fail. But that goes beyond the gym, it goes into their home and work lives as well.

Robwell now maybe you dont have one of those 'I am friendly so come and talk to me' kind of faces....tsk..tsk..try to work on your people skills would ya?:)

HoustonTXMuscle
06-01-2012, 05:48 AM
....I grouse a lot and often say "I'm gitn too old for this shti!" But it's just my way of venting away the pain. Then I resume. Age isn't an excuse, misuse of one's health is. Attitude is everything. Sounds like that dude ought to just stay home, lol.

If it was, guess I should have quit about >20 years ago.

beachguy498
06-01-2012, 06:27 AM
well now maybe you dont have one of those 'I am friendly so come and talk to me' kind of faces....tsk..tsk..try to work on your people skills would ya?:)

I do talk to some of the people I've known for a while at the gym. I've also gone to great lengths to cultivate a serial killer look, maybe that's it? My wife sometimes refers to me as SK... srs.

Rob

fn257
06-01-2012, 06:41 AM
thebigguy1, your post caught my eye as I am a '59 model myself. I went to your profile and dude, you are a monster! you have made an amazing transformation. I salute your obvious hard work and dedication.

tmonkey
06-01-2012, 07:13 AM
I do talk to some of the people I've known for a while at the gym. I've also gone to great lengths to cultivate a serial killer look, maybe that's it? My wife sometimes refers to me as SK... srs.

Rob

I just try to look confused or borderline crazy - well to be honest i really don't have to try

cowboybiker
06-01-2012, 08:06 AM
Yesterday at the gym I got a " I want to be like you when I grow up"

My response was " I dont know what I want to be when I grow up"

BloodySalad
06-01-2012, 08:23 AM

That's the sort of outlook I try to keep hold of. "As young as you feel" may be a cliche, but by heck, it's one that needs to be lived up to if you want to beat the old age blues.

nvrstopworking
06-01-2012, 08:49 AM
I really don't get this BH..... you'd have thought that just by LOOKING at you he could tell that working out heavy certainly wouldn't be a problem for you.

I have to say though that the best thing about finding this site has been witnessing what some of the "older" guys are capable of. Like a lot of noobs I used to think that once you were out of your 20s your best days (in the gym) were behind you.... watching dudes like Ironwill, Dave Wiggins, Ste-Bo and you (among others) have thoroughly smashed those assumptions to dust.

GJ. :)

latebloomingmom
06-01-2012, 09:10 AM

I wanna be a kid when I grow up...spent too much time already trying to be a grown up:(

bodyhard
06-01-2012, 09:18 AM
I really don't get this BH..... you'd have thought that just by LOOKING at you he could tell that working out heavy certainly wouldn't be a problem for you.

I have to say though that the best thing about finding this site has been witnessing what some of the "older" guys are capable of. Like a lot of noobs I used to think that once you were out of your 20s your best days (in the gym) were behind you.... watching dudes like Ironwill, Dave Wiggins, Ste-Bo and you (among others) have thoroughly smashed those assumptions to dust.

GJ. :)

He thought I was younger than him, so he was using the excuse that he couldn't keep up with me because as you age it becomes harder. :rolleyes:

Once I told him my age, (aside from him having to eat his own words about getting older) he kept saying "wow you don't look 47, I thought you were like 35 or so, yeah yeah he is just looking for excuses.

DocHoss
06-01-2012, 09:55 AM
I'm not too old to lift heavy. I'm too weak to lift heavy! But I'm trying my darndest to fix that. Sure, I wish I had started when I was much younger, but I didn't. Thee is plenty of proof in these forums that age is not an obstacle to strength.

Me neither!

gotta go - time to squat!

Krash23
06-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Yup. 50 years old. I am lifting heavier than I was in my 20's.

Same here...52 and lifting more than ever. Recommend a test booster for the poor guy. SPROING!! :)

FrankPalmer
06-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Man you look strong bodyhard, and if someone punched me in the face at the gym I wouldn't become his friend thats for sure.

V-240
06-01-2012, 02:28 PM
LMAO on this ^^^^^ I'm 56 soon to be 57 ugh, where does that put me....LOL. I feel I am at the best I have ever felt and looked. I guess for my age that is something......btw...the over 55 menus and discounts on Tuesday's are great! when reality hits it just motivates me in the gym to defy it even more.....LOL.

LIFE IS GOOD!

LOL, sometimes the young lady that scans my groceries at my favorite store gives me a 5% Senior Discount. :facepalm: Okay, I'll take it. LOL

AlphaDog3
06-01-2012, 02:30 PM
He obviously was feeling insecure about the fact you were lifting more weight than him. In fact, I'm surprised he even asked to work in with you.

theKurp
06-01-2012, 02:47 PM

Well, at least you didn't think he was 54. ---------------------------|
<-----------------------------------------------------------------|

llahhsoj
06-01-2012, 02:59 PM
I've been getting the "Why do you squat and deadlift"?, you aren't an athlete and you aren't getting younger lately. Gotta love small town YMCA type gyms!

bodyhard
06-01-2012, 06:17 PM
F'ck, guys I was trying to say 55 is old, not at all, he just looked 53 or 55 and I thought he was using that as an excuse. And then when he said 40, I was like WTF??? There are guys here in thier 60 who are killing it and I am talkkng about guys who have some serious builds not those in thier 60's that have some muscle with fat, I am talking about people like JerryB another guy by the name of Texasmuscle or something, those guys are f'cking killing it.

llahhsoj
06-01-2012, 06:42 PM
There are guys here in thier 60 who are killing it and I am talkkng about guys who have some serious builds not those in thier 60's that have some muscle with fat, I am talking about people like JerryB.

Yeah, JerryB is a beast! I used to live out in Hollywood and I would go watch him compete, if I still lived out there.

bodyhard
06-01-2012, 06:49 PM
I don't think I am ever going to get old.

chodan9
06-01-2012, 07:16 PM
were you even going that heavy?
I sometimes train with what I feel is moderate weight and higher reps and someone will say the same stuff to me "I don't go heavy like that anymore at my age" and I am thinking "this is heavy??"
honestly he probably didn't even have to tell you how he trains, you can generally look at a person and tell.
I don't train as heavy as I did but not because I can't take it, my goals just changed. I will probably go back to heavier weight again this fall.
I don't think you will get old either BH, you don't seem to age much now.

bodyhard
06-01-2012, 07:34 PM
I sometimes train with what I feel is moderate weight and higher reps and someone will say the same stuff to me "I don't go heavy like that anymore at my age" and I am thinking "this is heavy??"
honestly he probably didn't even have to tell you how he trains, you can generally look at a person and tell.
I don't train as heavy as I did but not because I can't take it, my goals just changed. I will probably go back to heavier weight again this fall.

Actually I wasn't, at least not to me. F'ck that was nowhere what I would call heavy, but I wasn't going to go there with him, ya feel me?

As for getting old man, thanks for the props, but I just can't see myself getting old. I mean there is nothing I can't do now that I did when I was younger and the funny thing is I still do it all, dancing, partying, running, hanging out, breaking night, fighting I mean I still do now what I did when I was younger I just don't f'cking grow up serious.

beachguy498
06-01-2012, 07:47 PM

I'm working around a couple of things right now and have gone with lighter weights and more reps as well. Which is still more than most of the guys 1/2 my age. My goal is to stay in the game and get back to where I was maybe a year ago.... just lifting smarter.

Rob

DocHoss
06-01-2012, 10:53 PM
I've been getting the "Why do you squat and deadlift"?, you aren't an athlete and you aren't getting younger lately.
So far no one has said that to me! But I wonder what they think of the old - I mean middle-aged - dude squatting and deadlifting. Then again, so few people do it at all, so maybe it's like the talking dog.