PDA

View Full Version : Cat, Fit, Or anybody familiar with KETOGENICS

prelude
11-09-2001, 06:37 AM
I've recently read an article about Ketogenic Diet and would like to familiarize myself with it. It sounds promising and interesting that I'd like to try it soon. But I just had a few questions before I start.

1. Is it healthy (with all the meats and fats and no carbs)?

2. If it's NO CARBS at all, what would I drink pre and especially post workout? Will I loose any muscles?

3. Is Ketogenic good for gaining muscles or while on 1AD?

4. Anybody who tried it, what was your results? Did you like it?

Thanks for any input!!!

Edutk
11-09-2001, 08:34 AM
Hey man, I just started the cyclic ketogenic diet myself. I've been low carbs all week and tonight I get to eat my carbs!! I'm definitely excited about that. I'm more defined and I don't feel like crap either from the low carbs. It's perfect for me. Good luck man!

Dorian
11-09-2001, 08:47 AM
A keto diet is safe... Now to bulk on it just riase calories more. It is good to go without carbs for awhile actually carbs are the cause of a lot of ilnesses. As for post workout jsut drink something with 50 grams of protein and 50 grams of carbs. This will be used immediatlely and won't affect the ketosis.You will fel weak for the first week or two but then it all comes back to you and you should ahve massive energy levels. I have iused it extensively and really got cut with it. also fitnessman and Msfit use it alot.

prelude
11-09-2001, 09:04 AM
I'm trying to draw out my meal plan. I'm about 180 lbs. and about 18-20% BF. Is this something that would work under the Keto Diet. This is just a sample so please if you have any suggestions to modify my meals, please let me know.

Meal 1 - 3 whole eggs / 2 tbsp. peanut butter

Meal 2 - 1 can tuna / 1 tbsp. flax oil

Meal 3 - 8 oz. beef or chicken/ veggie / nuts

Meal 4 - protein drink / nuts

Meal 5 - 8 oz. beef or chicken/ veggie / nuts

Meal 6 - protein drink / flax oil

The article I read suggested that you should be on NO carb for 5 days and 2 days of carbs. So if I workout Mon, Tues, Fri and have 50g of pro and 50g carb post workout on each of those days, it won't affect the diet and I can still have Sat. as my carb day?
Don't you need carbs for proper digestion of food?

Thanks so much!!!

Dorian
11-09-2001, 12:52 PM
to many carbs in the peanut butter. You need to keep the fat intake higher than anything else. I need to find my old diet and I will e-mail it to you . this will give you an idea of what I am talking about. I need to search my old papers for it so give me a few days.

prelude
11-09-2001, 12:58 PM
Thanks man...I really appreciate all the help. Hey...how about this postworkout question. Thanks!!!

'The article I read suggested that you should be on NO carb for 5 days and 2 days of carbs. So if I workout Mon, Tues, Fri and have 50g of pro and 50g carb post workout on each of those days, it won't affect the diet and I can still have Sat. as my carb day?
Don't you need carbs for proper digestion of food?'

mistarollie
11-10-2001, 08:05 PM
Hey guys; I am planning on trying out this diet also after my bulking cycle which ends after thanksgiving. Par Deus's article on BBing.com is pretty good, props to him; check it out if you have not already. I am not trying to promote other boards or anything, but on www.wannabebig.com there are some articles on ketosis that are worth a glance.

For those of you who have actually performed the diet, I was wondering if you would explain to me how bad your breath actually becomes, haha. Many articles/posters say that you get bad breath or "keto breath" from the body using Ketones (byproduct of fat metabolism) as energy and you breath them out, giving you a metallica taste in your mouth and bad breath. I was wondering if any of you knew how bad it actually was, and if something like a breath assure would help out with that problem. thanks for any input!

hooty mcboobs
11-14-2001, 12:15 AM
Try brusing regularly (say three times a day) and make sure you floss all that gunk out of between your teeth. I started flossing regularly and its done wonders for my breath.

Quiet Storm
11-14-2001, 04:22 AM
im not sure if im doin this cyclical keto diet right...

mon-fri i just eat anything meaty and about 25g of carbs after my workout and a couple carbs here and there with other foods on other meals

sat-sun i was plannin to just eat whatever i wanted

im on my first week and im seein great results, started on monday, but if im doin it a bit wrong i could probly see much better results if i did it right

prelude
11-14-2001, 07:23 AM
What I've learned is that to be on Ketosis, you have to eat
75% FATS and 25%PRO.

Khafra
11-19-2001, 08:48 PM
I read 75% fat too, but it just seems incredibly frightning to me to get 3/4 of my calories, 5 days a week, from fat. I mean, besides the massively bizarre counterintuitiveness of it all, which I can partially disregard by reading the theory behind it and experiments showing success, and partially from the Bene-Gesserit mantra against fear; the side effects worry me. Slowed reaction times, diminished mental abilities... Is it really appropriate for a non-professional bodybuilder? And it does destroy your ability to keep up in any type of aerobic activity, right?

prelude
11-20-2001, 08:01 AM
There are many versions of the Keto like CKD, TKD. Look it up maybe you'll like one of them.

Khafra
11-20-2001, 08:51 AM
Well, certainly a targeted ketogenic diet sounds better than the original, pure one used to prevent epileptic seizures in kids, but the slowed mental capacities for most of the day thing remains with any variation of it, pretty much of neccessity. Anybody know how many average I.Q. points it temporarily drops you, or at least what the slowing in reaction time is?

Awais
11-20-2001, 02:43 PM
this is all getting veryyyyyyyyyyy confusin!
i am on so callled keto diet but i don have fats in it...what kinda fats do they want in our diet??

man i feel like ****

Awais

prelude
11-20-2001, 03:30 PM
You can't be on Keto if you're not eating FATS. Keto is eating mostly FATS and PRO at a ratio of 75%FATS 25%PRO and NO CARBS. Do a search on any search engines and you'll find tons of info.

Awais
11-20-2001, 06:17 PM
hey prelude i did research but nowhere it mentions about what type of fat ! is saturated fat okay or what? unsaturated? other stuff? thats the confusion man....

hope anyone answers!

Awais

Original Poster
11-21-2001, 06:00 AM
I believe that if anyone is scared by 75% fat, could drop that a little to let's say 60-70% and still remain in a state of ketosis.
Still ketonic, but maybe a little less effective in fat burn.

I personally follow 65-70% when on keto.
Though, I do 3-4 short stints (2weeks or so), and I try to keep my total carb intake for the day under 40g (tough to do).

I'm not really sure about the long term effects of an effectively sustained keto diet (much controversey about that), but in the short stints, I use keto - KETO ROCKS.
(though I usually need to tone down my lifting while on it)
(no or little carbs = loss of endurance and slight decrease in strength - at least for me)

prelude
11-21-2001, 07:29 AM
Awais, look here:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3885&highlight=keto

Any fats, you're allowed to eat whole eggs, steak, fried chicken (no flour batter), burgers ( no bread)....anything with protein but as long as fat is high. Also, consume good fats from olive, flax,
etc.

Awais
11-21-2001, 03:34 PM
hey PRELUDE!

thanks for the info bud ...but...what i dont get is what kinda diet is it if i can eat fried stuff? junk....without bread...(CARBS BASICALLY) i mean its just like heaven man....
i wonder if it actually works? have u done this b4?

have fun

Awais

Dorian
11-21-2001, 04:05 PM
awais welcome to heaven:)
I useit all the time and have no problem .

Awais
11-21-2001, 04:43 PM
hahaha okizz bro...
i have started it! :0)

Awais

kklockau
07-06-2010, 07:11 PM
You can't be on Keto if you're not eating FATS. Keto is eating mostly FATS and PRO at a ratio of 75%FATS 25%PRO and NO CARBS. Do a search on any search engines and you'll find tons of info.

75% is too much fat to be having in your keto diet. you only need around 55%-70% according to fitnessman, the keto guru himself. I use a 65%/30%/5% split. This way you dont get TOO much fat, but your caloric intake is mostly from fat. But its still enough protein to give about 1g per lb of body weight. The 5% of carbs come from post workout and random inavoidbale carbs from eggs, PB and such. Hope this clears things up a liitle bit!

csb5731
07-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Hope this clears things up a liitle bit!

Probably was cleared up in 2001, when this thread had died!