PDA

View Full Version : Trigger Finger

uithoven
05-31-2012, 05:32 AM
Anyone ever had Trigger Finger ? My middle finger of my right hand is not locking up much, but the tingling is driving me nuts. I'm wearing a carpel tunnel brace on the wrist during sleep per doc's suggestion. I'm wondering if lifting is causing this and is making the condition stay with me. Any suggestions would be great.

flairon
05-31-2012, 05:56 AM
Never heard of 'trigger finger' in that sense. Sounds like some kind of pinched nerve kind of thing if you're getting tingling

Iceman1800
05-31-2012, 06:01 AM
Do you sleep on your back or stomach? Work at a desk?

mslman71
05-31-2012, 06:33 AM
Did the doctor have any idea which part was causing the symptoms (e.g., "A1")? There are a bunch of pulleys (ligaments), bands, and sheaths that can be aggravated. Was some type of corticosteroid injection mentioned?

If you're going to lift I would suggest transferring as much of the load from your flexor tendons as possible to wrist straps or something similar.

Do you have the open grip weight plates or the older kind where you have to grip the edge of the plate?

quicksand jesus
05-31-2012, 06:45 AM
Anyone ever had Trigger Finger ? My middle finger of my right hand is not locking up much, but the tingling is driving me nuts. I'm wearing a carpel tunnel brace on the wrist during sleep per doc's suggestion. I'm wondering if lifting is causing this and is making the condition stay with me. Any suggestions would be great.

I had tingling / spasms in my index finger that was driving be nuts. Found out I had a B12 deficiency. Was given B12 shot and supps.

So far so good for the past couple of weeks.

In NO WAY am I saying that this is your problem. Just letting you know my experience.

Good luck

uithoven
05-31-2012, 08:34 AM
Did the doctor have any idea which part was causing the symptoms (e.g., "A1")? There are a bunch of pulleys (ligaments), bands, and sheaths that can be aggravated. Was some type of corticosteroid injection mentioned?

If you're going to lift I would suggest transferring as much of the load from your flexor tendons as possible to wrist straps or something similar.

Do you have the open grip weight plates or the older kind where you have to grip the edge of the plate?

Thanks for the reply. I use open plates so easier to pick up/handle. Hand doc mentioned the injection but suggested the brace during sleep first. He said probably ligamnets running from base of middle finger toward wrist was inflamed etc. I may end up getting the injection. I don't know if this will start a series of them or if once will do it.

uithoven
05-31-2012, 08:35 AM
Do you sleep on your back or stomach? Work at a desk?

Sleep on my back. Some desk work.

mslman71
05-31-2012, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the reply. I use open plates so easier to pick up/handle. Hand doc mentioned the injection but suggested the brace during sleep first. He said probably ligamnets running from base of middle finger toward wrist was inflamed etc. I may end up getting the injection. I don't know if this will start a series of them or if once will do it.

The ligaments mostly run transverse to the direction of the tendon, so maybe he meant the tendon was inflamed (?). There's a little ligament right where you get lifter's callouses called the A1 pulley that is the number 1 culprit for trigger finger if I recall correctly. The ligament holds the tendon down and keeps it from bowing out with flexion (curling fingers in). The tendon "sticks" because of inflammation and/or damage to the ligament. This can happen elsewhere though. It will definitely need rest time to settle down, but for many folks it can end up being a chronic condition. Taking some of the load off of the fingers while lifting might help - again, using straps. Anti-inflammatory meds can't hurt. Hope it resolves soon for you. Little crap like that can really make lifting a b*tch.

uithoven
05-31-2012, 10:32 AM
The ligaments mostly run transverse to the direction of the tendon, so maybe he meant the tendon was inflamed (?). There's a little ligament right where you get lifter's callouses called the A1 pulley that is the number 1 culprit for trigger finger if I recall correctly. The ligament holds the tendon down and keeps it from bowing out with flexion (curling fingers in). The tendon "sticks" because of inflammation and/or damage to the ligament. This can happen elsewhere though. It will definitely need rest time to settle down, but for many folks it can end up being a chronic condition. Taking some of the load off of the fingers while lifting might help - again, using straps. Anti-inflammatory meds can't hurt. Hope it resolves soon for you. Little crap like that can really make lifting a b*tch.
Thanks for the insight. It is the tendon not the ligament. Will try my straps.