PDA

View Full Version : Poor Man's Diet(Meal) Plan?

Tuffshift
05-30-2012, 09:35 AM
Alright, so im starting something very serious. In the past, ive done alot of research & studies..done Clen/ECA cycles etc..TIRED of attempting lifestyle changes (while some have honestly stuck, for the greater good) and utitlizing quick fixes that are taxing and dont hold.

Now im accepting the Slow, gradual, decrease of fat-loss/lean muscle gains vs. the quick/spikey responsive results.

Why im here, I need to start at the foundation. My diet. I eat "okay" right now, and overall maybe am carb heavy (which I dont need to be), but still eat healthier than before.

Is there any good diet plans that utilize a "Poor-Mans" budget? I want to start now, but cannot allot much for food, price wise. I have common diet sense, so know that Tuna, brown rice, oatmeal, chicken breasts, etc are cheap and good..but looking for more help. Ive searched, but much has not come up.

I need to get this part in check, before I work on my workout routine, etc. Thank You in advance.

-Nick

tden99
05-30-2012, 09:40 AM
most people will recommend cheap protein and fat sources. Eggs, chicken, fish (especially tilapia) and of course whey protein (buy the cheapest you can find its all the same). You can get the fat from eggs or buy costco sized things of like olive oil. Also, can get it from things like butter or peanut butter. You can easily live a healthy lifestyle for less than $10 a day. Then just buy whatever fruit and vegetables are on sale. Its really usually cheap I don't really worry about my food costs and I only spend around 400-500 a month which about 100 is on ice cream.

Tuffshift
05-30-2012, 10:02 AM
most people will recommend cheap protein and fat sources. Eggs, chicken, fish (especially tilapia) and of course whey protein (buy the cheapest you can find its all the same). You can get the fat from eggs or buy costco sized things of like olive oil. Also, can get it from things like butter or peanut butter. You can easily live a healthy lifestyle for less than $10 a day. Then just buy whatever fruit and vegetables are on sale. Its really usually cheap I don't really worry about my food costs and I only spend around 400-500 a month which about 100 is on ice cream.

Truthfully...If I did the math, im probably looking to invest less than 200 a month. Here's what I do now, so you can see my expenses:

-Breakfest Oatmeal w/ Fiber Twig Cereal & Raisins mixed in.

-Brunch (9AM, since I eat breakfest @ 6:30ish) Cinnamin Raisin Bagel

-Lunch (12PM): Sandwhich (Cheap wheat bread), Turkey Ham, Cheese & Spinich. Side of Carrots & a Granola Bar.

-Then Dinner..normally a $1-2 Lean Cuisine, or equiv. I can buy Chicken/Talapia instead, and do maybe rice?

Again, I need to keep this cheap as possible..so looking to revamp my diet plan I currently have, with HEALTHIER variety.

mroybal
05-30-2012, 10:25 AM
You can probanly get unprocessed food cheaper than lean cuisine. I like to buy my chicken/beef/pork in bulk as it saves time and money. If there is a winco/food max near you check out the bulk bins. It is a great source for rice, nuts, etc.

AlecGaspari
05-30-2012, 10:31 AM
At costco I buy a 3lb bag of unsalted almonds for $10... thing lasts me a month and adds any extra healthy fats to my diet

you need more protein, and more healthy fats

lukeskinner
05-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Also for fruits and veggies find a farmers market I can get enough to last me a week for usually 7 or 8 dollars and that's on the expensive end. I probably could do $5 a week and get by.

Also eggs from Costco ( at least the one I go to) cost me $5.20 for 5 dozen

Tuffshift
05-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Thank You for the replies thus far! I do have a WinCo, and have utilized some of thier bulk bins for the Oatmeal, and stuff. Im a costco member so I can grab fish/chicken there.

For the Eggs, I normally only have a 15 minute window to prepare my lunch/breakfest in the AM (I can change that). Would you suggest I stack that with the oatmeal? Substitute it some days? Maybe Hardboil and eat for Brunch?

Im extremely on a very small income to 'survive,' and while it will be easier someday at the moment it is..what it is.

EDIT - Ill do some active research on "Good Fats," although I have a great Idea on what they are still good to see what I can implement.

tden99
05-30-2012, 12:55 PM
I would buy lots of eggs then, I figured out I could do around 200 but its hard. Whey protein can be a good source with 24g protein and for around 50cents a and the almonds are a good choice. for carbs, rice or oatmeal is your best bet maybe candy too if you need calories and are full. Also chicken for protein. Peanuts are usually cheap too and pretty good for protein and fat. Honestly you can do it but you may need to invest in a cheap multivitamin from Costco because you are going to have trouble getting the micros.

SupplementPunk
05-30-2012, 01:25 PM
eggs are kind of high. probably not the most healthy choice, but veina sausage is cheap.

Tuffshift
05-30-2012, 01:29 PM
I would buy lots of eggs then, I figured out I could do around 200 but its hard. Whey protein can be a good source with 24g protein and for around 50cents a and the almonds are a good choice. for carbs, rice or oatmeal is your best bet maybe candy too if you need calories and are full. Also chicken for protein. Peanuts are usually cheap too and pretty good for protein and fat. Honestly you can do it but you may need to invest in a cheap multivitamin from Costco because you are going to have trouble getting the micros.

Okay, thanks. Yeah I dont see myself doing it 100% but if I can stick to lowest amount possible, the better. Fixed income, and little spending cash makes it difficult. Uhmm..I still do plan on investing in Vitamins (Mega-Man Sport, Fish Oil, Green Tea Extract, & L-Car (Liquid)) like I normally do. Aswell as a in-house branded Whey Protien. I wont really omit those, but just want it to be known im definitley forced to be a bargin shopper on food, etc.

Yeah, I can get those Vienna Sausages, 2-Cans for $.99 at my local Dollar Tree. Im not poor, persay..but finally moved out of my home..and did it with the mindset of a $1000.00 promotion @ work within 2-3 months of the move. Wont happen anytime soon sadly..as things did change..but within time ill make that and more. So for now, I gotta be really tight/smart and not overspend.

MITCHAPAL00ZA
05-30-2012, 01:47 PM
here are stapes that will be cheap...its not gonna be the most exciting diet but it'll get the job done at the lowest cost possible.

Fats: oil, eggs, fatty meat, PB
Carbs: Bread, oats, rice, pasta, beans, fruit if its on sale
Protein: chicken breasts, protein powder, any cuts of meat that are on sale... you will get protein from the fatty meat and eggs as well
Veggies: go for frozen, they are usually very cheap.

bam. micronutrient dense diet and cheap as hell

Tuffshift
05-30-2012, 03:01 PM
Thank You so much for the effort and help! Appreciated!

sportsguy740
05-30-2012, 03:45 PM
$200 a month 1 person... Easy. Here is what I buy of course it varies.

Huge bag of veggies $6.48
Huge bag of asian style veggies $7.48
3 dozen large egg pack 2.93
Huge bundle of asparagus (around 40+) $4.98
Gian slab of Pork loin (might need a meat slicer) 6-10lbs $19.74
3lbs cottage cheese $4.22
Beef hamburger meat 10-13 pounds $26.08
Big pack of italian sausage links big around 18 $13.22
huge bag of chicken breast 10.98
huge bag of chicken thighs 10.98

Body fortress whey protein 52g per 2 scoops 2lb jub $14.99 at walmart cheapest I can find.
Also just to add

4lbs bag of pierogies $7.26
huge bag of on the border totilla chips $3.78
3 pack digiorno pizza $12.48 (why not get 2 haha)
50 pack of egg rolls $8.98
huge can of cheese sauce $5.82 (nacho cheese big can)

All this is from sams club and cost below $180

Tuffshift
05-30-2012, 04:11 PM
$200 a month 1 person... Easy. Here is what I buy of course it varies.

Huge bag of veggies $6.48
Huge bag of asian style veggies $7.48
3 dozen large egg pack 2.93
Huge bundle of asparagus (around 40+) $4.98
Gian slab of Pork loin (might need a meat slicer) 6-10lbs $19.74
3lbs cottage cheese $4.22
Beef hamburger meat 10-13 pounds $26.08
Big pack of italian sausage links big around 18 $13.22
huge bag of chicken breast 10.98
huge bag of chicken thighs 10.98

Body fortress whey protein 52g per 2 scoops 2lb jub $14.99 at walmart cheapest I can find.
Also just to add

4lbs bag of pierogies $7.26
huge bag of on the border totilla chips $3.78
3 pack digiorno pizza $12.48 (why not get 2 haha)
50 pack of egg rolls $8.98
huge can of cheese sauce $5.82 (nacho cheese big can)

All this is from sams club and cost below $180

Huge thanks to you, and everyone else who has contributed! Alot of GREAT ideas I can utilize here!!!

devilbones
05-31-2012, 08:10 AM
Going to pick some of this up at Sams later in the week. Thanks.