PDA

View Full Version : 7 wks of CDK, slow results (I used the search button!)

cameron1987
05-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Hey guys. Long time lurker, first time poster. I typically find the answers to my questions by searching, but this one has me stumped.

First off: my stats. 24, male, 5'7", 165 lb, 16% bf.

Just over 7 weeks ago I started the CKD diet. My stats at the time were 174 lb, 17.8 percent body fat. I had the PT's at the gym take the measurement to be sure it was as correct as possible (using calipers). But when I compare my stats today to my starting stats, I feel like I am doing something wrong.

Starting the diet, here were my numbers (via BB.com calculators): 2350 calories/day for maintenance. 145 lb of LBM. Using these numbers I concluded that I would subtract 500 from my maintenance calories to get 1850 calories/day, eat 145 grams of protein per day, and fill the rest in with fats. I have kept carbs under 30 grams per day since day 1, save for 1.5 days per week.

My diet has consisted of this: Morning shake (every day): whey protein w/ 20g of coconut oil. Fat/protein sources (in no real order): coconut oil, 80/20 ground chuck, sausage, bacon, eggs, cheese (sparingly), hot dogs, steak, kielbasa, almonds, and chicken breasts.

On days I am low on carbs (under 15 grams or so), I will eat some broccoli for another 7-8 carbs, but I never have ever consumed more than 30 in one CKD day.

Weekend diet: (Friday at noon to Saturday at midnight or Saturday at noon to Sunday at midnight): Whole wheat pasta, waxy maize (shake after last workout Friday), breads, rice, english muffins, and fruit. Protein stays at 145 grams. I keep fat under 25 grams. I do not drink beer, but I do have a few (2-3) rum and diets if I go out on Friday night (occasionally).

Three weeks ago, after 4 weeks on the diet, I adjusted for progress, and dropped my calories by 350, unsure of what other step to take. So lately I have been eating 1600 calories per day, which is tough. I still lift 5 days per week. Total carb intake for the 1.5 day carb period is now around 250 grams, down from around 350 grams 3 weeks ago. I make sure I stay at the 1850 (now 1600) calories regardless of the day (CKD or carb).

Workout: no aerobic cardio, only lifting. I lift 5 days per week pretty vigorously. My muscle mass appears to have stayed the same....maybe grown a little bit. I know my biceps have grown some, but I cannot be sure about my chest or shoulders since I don't know how to measure those properly with the tape (it always falls down!). I may have the PT's do it at the gym, but they didn't like helping me with my body fat since I am not a "client". I add 300 calories every time I work out (so I eat 1900 calories on workout days to make up for the workout).

Honestly, I do feel thinner. And truth be told, I am down 9 pounds in 7 weeks. That works out to ~1.3 pounds per week, but I know a good portion of that is just water (since the readings right after carb load are about 168 lb). My mid-section may have lost a little fat, but not much. My pictures I took last night show little progress compared to the pictures I took 7 weeks ago, and the tape reading around my stomach is just over 1 inch smaller. I do know it takes me at least 2.5 days to "pee purple" again. If I end my carb day at midnight on Saturday, I don't see any purple until Tuesday night at the earliest.

Before I cut calories again, I just wanted to see if you guys could give my diet the once-over to see if I am making any vital errors. I did search and saw that the little bit of alcohol is okay. I saw most have success with >30 carbs per day. I saw 1.5 days is a good carb-up timeframe. I also saw most people get back in ketosis a lot faster than I do. I read that the keto stix are not all that accurate (and I may be in ketosis sooner), but I still feel like something is not right.

If I realize I left anything out I will add it here, but if any veterans can shed some light, that would be great. My goal is 12% body fat. I will never have visible abs (and don't really care about them that much), but I would like the fat to be low enough so I can comfortably start my major bulking diet this fall (which I have zero problems with).

Thanks,
Cameron

AlwaysTryin
05-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Don't keep cutting calories so drastically.

What's your reason for keto?

cameron1987
05-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Don't keep cutting calories so drastically.

What's your reason for keto?

Thanks for your input. I am trying to cut some fat before I start bulking. Fully exhaled, my stomach is 36 inches. Back before I started college, I was 32 inches. There was obviously fat there that anyone that wants to see abs would be unhappy with, but I'm fine with some fat on me, just not this much. I'm really not trying to lose a ton, just however much is necessary to get back to a 32-33 inch stomach.

You suggested I not cut calories which I'm glad to hear. I have never regarded food as an enemy, but I'm just not doing SOMETHING right and figured y'all would know best. What would you suggest I try?

Thanks,
Cameron.

AlwaysTryin
05-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Consistency with a calorie deficit. What "diet" you do to so that doesn't matter, they all have the same result.

I gather you dislike eating carbs?

dmacdonal9
05-29-2012, 04:07 PM
As I understand the science behind CKD, at 16% BF (assuming that's accurate), it has no advantage over any other method of eating at a deficit. CKD approaches may have some value for very lean people, but even then the evidence is not strong, and it's tricky to use it properly.

I suspect that with all the calorie tinkering you are ending up too close to maintenance at the end of the week. You are probably overestimating activity and underestimating intake.

I suggest you simplify things. Recalculate your TDEE, question all the assumptions and estimates, establish a consistent deficit and follow it for at least three weeks. If no progress, increase the deficit.

cameron1987
05-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Consistency with a calorie deficit. What "diet" you do to so that doesn't matter, they all have the same result.

I gather you dislike eating carbs?

Not at all! I just have never tried CKD before and thought "why not?". It is the easiest diet to follow in my experience. Thank you for your help.

As I understand the science behind CKD, at 16% BF (assuming that's accurate), it has no advantage over any other method of eating at a deficit. CKD approaches may have some value for very lean people, but even then the evidence is not strong, and it's tricky to use it properly.

I suspect that with all the calorie tinkering you are ending up too close to maintenance at the end of the week. You are probably overestimating activity and underestimating intake.

I suggest you simplify things. Recalculate your TDEE, question all the assumptions and estimates, establish a consistent deficit and follow it for at least three weeks. If no progress, increase the deficit.

Awesome! I just recalculated my TDEE using my current stats, and this time I put "no activity"- which basically estimates caloric values for the sedentary person. The calculator spit out 2130. Taking 500 from that gives me 1630, which is right where I am now anyway.

I think you are onto something when you say I may be closer to maintenance by the end of the week. Perhaps my carb-load weekends are more calorie-dense than I thought. I will leave my calories at 1600 but monitor my weekends closer. Maybe I should add some cardio in as well.

I just realized there is a section for keto diets. I apologize for posting this in the wrong area. Is there a way to move it?

AlwaysTryin
05-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Not at all! I just have never tried CKD before and thought "why not?". It is the easiest diet to follow in my experience. Thank you for your help.

No problem.

In that case your macros are fine, however I wouldn't go below ~1800 calories, I'd add in extra cardio to create the deficit