PDA

View Full Version : help me understand refeeding (reps for legit help)

psychnurse2012
05-28-2012, 02:18 PM
just some background info: i am currently cutting on 1400 calories. yes i am female, so before anyone says it's too low, it's just right.

i currently weight train 3-4 times a week and do 2 days of HIIT for about 10-12 minutes.

anyways, i have decided to move my diet to one of low carbs, high protein and low fats. i have only been doing this diet for 2 days and i am already feeling the effects. i have been told, to help with my energy previously, to use a refeed at least once or twice a week.

now, i read somewhere that one should do a refeed on their heavy training days (basically my training days), increase my calories and my carbs to about 200-300 g.

how much calories are we talking, when increasing? or can someone provide me a little more insight to the refeeding than i found on some expert's blog a few minutes ago.

will rep for legit responses :)

Serpentarius
05-28-2012, 02:24 PM
What you should do is lower protein to a minimum of .8g per lb of lbm, drop fats down to as low as you can get them (IE nothing), and fill the rest with carbs until you get to maintenance calories. So if you were eating 1400 per day, and without knowing how much of a deficit that puts you at, pretend you are eating 500 under resting maintenance, and use ~250 at the gym, eat 2150 calories total so you are at a washout at maintenance. Make sense?
Lowering the protein and fat will make more room for carbohydrates, the protein is more than enough and one day of low fat, even several will do nothing hormonally wise, but months will.
Refeeds do work, you can usually listen to your body when you really need them however. Id do it the day before squats.

whiteorc
05-28-2012, 02:27 PM
refeeds are supposed to be 5g of carbs per pound of LBM
the exact calories dont matter, just that you get that many carbs

psychnurse2012
05-28-2012, 02:33 PM
What you should do is lower protein to a minimum of .8g per lb of lbm, drop fats down to as low as you can get them (IE nothing), and fill the rest with carbs until you get to maintenance calories. So if you were eating 1400 per day, and without knowing how much of a deficit that puts you at, pretend you are eating 500 under resting maintenance, and use ~250 at the gym, eat 2150 calories total so you are at a washout at maintenance. Make sense?
Lowering the protein and fat will make more room for carbohydrates, the protein is more than enough and one day of low fat, even several will do nothing hormonally wise, but months will.
Refeeds do work, you can usually listen to your body when you really need them however. Id do it the day before squats.

your calories thing went over my head lol. but the rest i understand what you're saying. thanks.

refeeds are supposed to be 5g of carbs per pound of LBM
the exact calories dont matter, just that you get that many carbs

now this is simplistic. anyone can support this also?

reps for responding.

whiteorc
05-28-2012, 02:36 PM
now this is simplistic. anyone can support this also?

its just from lyle mcdonalds books

The big ‘it depends’ is amount, how much to eat during a structured refeed. My UD2 used a 3
day refeed comprised of 12-16 grams of carbs per kilogram (about 5-6 grams per pound) on the first
day, about half of that (2-3 g/lb) on the second day, and about half (1-1.5 g/lb) of that on the third day.
But that was a specific diet for a very specific group (lean athletes who were completely glycogen
depleted going into the refeed). A UD2 style refeed is actually what I’d suggest for dieters in category 1
at the end of the diet but would be too much for the other two categories. I’ll mention now that category
3 dieters don’t get a structured refeed as they simply don’t need it.

psychnurse2012
05-28-2012, 03:14 PM
its just from lyle mcdonalds books

The big ‘it depends’ is amount, how much to eat during a structured refeed. My UD2 used a 3
day refeed comprised of 12-16 grams of carbs per kilogram (about 5-6 grams per pound) on the first
day, about half of that (2-3 g/lb) on the second day, and about half (1-1.5 g/lb) of that on the third day.
But that was a specific diet for a very specific group (lean athletes who were completely glycogen
depleted going into the refeed). A UD2 style refeed is actually what I’d suggest for dieters in category 1
at the end of the diet but would be too much for the other two categories. I’ll mention now that category
3 dieters don’t get a structured refeed as they simply don’t need it.

alright, thanks for responding. i repped you as promised.

VagarH
05-28-2012, 03:31 PM
alright, thanks for responding. i repped you as promised.

You should keep in mind,though, that a refeed of that magnitude is based on either an extremely low carb/calorie, high intensity training regimen (UD2.0), or a longer-term period of low carbing (Rapid Fat Loss Cat 1's go 11-12 days on 0 carb, 0 fat).

You'd probably be totally fine doing a low-fat, high-carb refeed of roughly 2-3 grams per pound of lean body mass. This is what Lyle McDonald suggests for slightly higher BF% cat 2's. Incidentally, they do their refeeds once per week, rather than once after 2 weeks, so it fits better with your stated schedule anyway.