PDA

View Full Version : binge-fast cycle?

rk17074
05-22-2012, 03:19 PM
Lean bulking for the past 5 months. Gained 6 lbs, feel great and nice results.
I wanna have a cheat/binge day sooooo bad lol, but I'm afraid of fat gain.

If I had a binge day every 2-3 weeks followed by 24 hour fast, would that significantly hurt my progress or Add excessive fat?

Anyone try anything like this?

gbullock32
05-22-2012, 03:30 PM
Might help you develop an eating disorder, seriously. Just work the foods you want into your day, if it fits into your macros it's not a big deal. Also eating some of the foods you enjoy everyday will be more enjoyable in the long run, not to mention healthier from a mental standpoint.

psychodiver9
05-22-2012, 03:42 PM
LOL at planning a binge.

SimonThePieman
05-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Lean bulking for the past 5 months. Gained 6 lbs, feel great and nice results.
I wanna have a cheat/binge day sooooo bad lol, but I'm afraid of fat gain.

If I had a binge day every 2-3 weeks followed by 24 hour fast, would that significantly hurt my progress or Add excessive fat?

Anyone try anything like this?

net calorie balance weekly is pretty much the same as net calories of the individual days added together in terms of body composition even if the other days are exactly the same each day. The fat loss and fat gain process doesn't happen in bite per bite real time.

I often eat at a 1K daily deficit and binge on a saturday.

So the short answer is yet and annecdotally some people find this better for recomping

rk17074
05-22-2012, 07:58 PM

So the short answer is yet and annecdotally some people find this better for recomping

that sounds awesome actually lol. do you do something similar during a bulk?

JeffyDOS
05-22-2012, 08:01 PM
When I was in my 1st sem of college, I would do a 500 cal deficit and binge on the weekends. It didn't affect me much other than bloat, but still, I don't recommend it. You could develop an ED

rk17074
05-22-2012, 08:06 PM
When I was in my 1st sem of college, I would do a 500 cal deficit and binge on the weekends. It didn't affect me much other than bloat, but still, I don't recommend it. You could develop an ED

at the time, was your goal fat loss or muscle gain? i wanna incorporate this into a mass gaining phase, rather than just fat loss.

prob not gonna develop an eating disorder. i over came that a while agao, and know how to control binges. i have one every 2 weeks when cutting, but have gone months without it. i like to plan it out so it doesnt happen sporadically.

JeffyDOS
05-22-2012, 08:12 PM
My goal was fat loss. Personally I would never do that on a bulk just because that bloat feeling would probably stay with me a lot longer than if I were cutting.

rk17074
05-22-2012, 08:15 PM
My goal was fat loss. Personally I would never do that on a bulk just because that bloat feeling would probably stay with me a lot longer than if I were cutting.

that was my concern. but if i fasted for a day to a day and a half after, i feel like it might go away decently, no?

AlwaysTryin
05-23-2012, 01:49 AM
binge and cycle in the same sentence screams ED

Nexxus
05-23-2012, 02:19 AM
EAT
EAT
EAT
EAT
EAT
EAT
EAT
EAT

omg I'm so bloated...

STARVE
STARVE
STARVE
STARVE
STARVE
STARVE

JasonDB
05-23-2012, 02:28 AM
Honestly you can just stick your finger down your throat after the binge. Problem?

psychodiver9
05-23-2012, 05:15 AM
binge and cycle in the same sentence screams ED

This. Op wants people to tell him it's ok so he can rationalize not seeking professional help. Op you have an unhealthy relationship with food

YOU NEED HELP

illiniStrive
05-23-2012, 05:28 AM
You gained just 6lbs in a 5 month bulk?

JasonDB
05-23-2012, 05:30 AM

Lulz... I gained 10 lbs in the first week of my bulk this year. 6 lbs is barely even water gain.

psychodiver9
05-23-2012, 05:33 AM

Inb4adamww

mattypoole
05-23-2012, 05:45 AM

^^ I've been doing this while cutting, and since at the end of the week I'm still in deficit weight loss keeps going.

I wouldn't binge then fast as that does sound borderline ED.

Just do a variation of what Simon's talking about and don't sweat it after the fact.

illiniStrive
05-23-2012, 05:49 AM
"Binge" honestly never sounds like a good word to me, no matter how you spin it.

"Binging" implies no control -- a complete disregard for satiety, bodily needs, or even enjoyment.

A binge is not the same thing as "eating a lot of calories in one sitting".

psychodiver9
05-23-2012, 05:55 AM
"Binge" honestly never sounds like a good word to me, no matter how you spin it.

"Binging" implies no control -- a complete disregard for satiety, bodily needs, or even enjoyment.

A binge is not the same thing as "eating a lot of calories in one sitting".

100% this. Thus my post earlier saying lol at planning a binge

BlackHeart.au
05-23-2012, 06:22 AM
This. Op wants people to tell him it's ok so he can rationalize not seeking professional help. Op you have an unhealthy relationship with food

YOU NEED HELP

He said "IF" not has or is doing it. Don't think you should give him a complex about it just yet. If Op was already doing this, maybe then he should seek professional help.

psychodiver9
05-23-2012, 06:29 AM
He said "IF" not has or is doing it. Don't think you should give him a complex about it just yet. If Op was already doing this, maybe then he should seek professional help.

Typically people search for validation for behaviors they are engaging in. Even to think of doing this shows an unhealthy relationship with food. Go back under your rock

BlackHeart.au
05-23-2012, 06:37 AM
Typically people search for validation for behaviors they are engaging in. Even to think of doing this shows an unhealthy relationship with food.Go back under your rock

Well that would then go for most people on these boards then. If you're counting calories and being self concious about your image. Than maybe we all got some sort of "ED". Even "normal" lean people that don't diet will pig out every so often. Does that mean they should seek help?

OP worried to gain fat, and is health conscious. Wants to have a "Pig out" every 3 weeks, but uses the term "binge" instead. = Binge eating disorder and should seek professional help.

Such a Keyboard warrior. (srs)

WonderPug
05-23-2012, 06:54 AM
Op wants people to tell him it's ok so he can rationalize not seeking professional help. Op you have an unhealthy relationship with food. YOU NEED HELPThis x2.

docd187
05-23-2012, 07:04 AM
This x2.

OMG you're back?!? I almost cried when I thought I might never read another Wonderpug post (srsly no homo tho). This just made my day!

psychodiver9
05-23-2012, 07:05 AM
Overeating =\= as binging cool guy

FitnessCPA
05-23-2012, 07:48 AM
If you binge eat, you have an eating disorder. I'm in full agreement with IlliniStrive's well-written post #18.

Now that that's out of the way, my guidelines for pigging out or "cheating" are pretty simple:

If you plan it and fit it into your macros, it's not a cheat or binge. It's just calorie cycling and planned pigging out.

I do it where I'll allow myself say, 2,400 calories after 5:00 p.m. on a Saturday. Typically I'll down some pizza and maybe some ice cream.

Other times I'll have a big plate of Mexican food and a few beers and some dessert.

It's not binging, as I certainly have control. It's just a plan to have a higher calorie meal. I'm not going to even call it a treat because I fit it into my macros. "Treat" implies that it's something extra, something additional. It's not.

So-called "experts" who say to treat yourself once in a while to a piece of cake or to have a day where you don't track calories are contributing to the mentality that there are "good" and "bad" foods and that some foods are off limits unless you fall off the wagon or take a "diet break" (another stupid, over-used term).

This thinking is what leads to eating disorders. Oh well, I screwed up by having a 200 calorie brownie (which may absolutely perfectly fit into my macros but I don't do IIFYM because I follow Dr. Oz's diet recommendations instead), so now I'll just go out of control and eat whatever I want until I can't breathe instead. I'll get back on track tomorrow.

Now it's tomorrow and I'm going to eat clean! I had oatmeal, two egg whites, and a small orange for breakfast. Today I am back on track! I'm going to eat my healthy lunch which consists of lean turkey, spinach, tomatoes, and some fat-free cheese!

TIME OUT! The boss invites me out to a lunch meeting at a RESTAURANT! OH NO! Now my diet is ruined for the day. Well, I might as well order the cheeseburger and fries. Hell, I'll have a regular Coke too, I've blown it already anyway because of this STUPID lunch my boss is making me feel obligated to attend! Where is that damn server with the dessert menu?! I need a big slice of cheesecake to go with this coffee and 20 tablespoons of sugar.

For dinner I'll just pick up a large pizza. Today is ruined anyway, what difference does it make?

Tomorrow I'll get back on track!

OR

I could just do IIFYM, eat foods I enjoy, and not have to live a life of obsessing over food every minute of the day.

tl;dr: Dump fad diets, don't binge, and do IIFYM for the win.

rk17074
05-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Well that would then go for most people on these boards then. If you're counting calories and being self concious about your image. Than maybe we all got some sort of "ED". Even "normal" lean people that don't diet will pig out every so often. Does that mean they should seek help?

OP worried to gain fat, and is health conscious. Wants to have a "Pig out" every 3 weeks, but uses the term "binge" instead. = Binge eating disorder and should seek professional help.

Such a Keyboard warrior. (srs)

exactly! repped!

when i say binge, i mean as in go to a buffet for breakfast and dinner, and eat w.e the phuck i want throughout the day; a huge ass cheat day. just cause i wanna bust out with my friends once or twice a month as a teen, and enjoy my local pizza buffet, does not mean i have an ED..

i just wanted to see if anyone on the misc fasts after a cheat day (during a bulking phase specifically)

DjentBrah
05-23-2012, 04:00 PM
lols at everyone saying you have a disorder. It's called a cheat day. Don't fast the next day, just get back on track. Maybe cut carbs a bit.

Cheat Day
- dont graze all day.
- have 3-4 planned meals.
- 1 of those meals should be a high protein, high fiber meal.

Disregard tracking macros for the day and then get back on track.

Achieve your goals, but live your life.

EfficientLiver
05-23-2012, 04:15 PM
If you binge eat, you have an eating disorder. I'm in full agreement with IlliniStrive's well-written post #18.

Now that that's out of the way, my guidelines for pigging out or "cheating" are pretty simple:

If you plan it and fit it into your macros, it's not a cheat or binge. It's just calorie cycling and planned pigging out.

I do it where I'll allow myself say, 2,400 calories after 5:00 p.m. on a Saturday. Typically I'll down some pizza and maybe some ice cream.

Other times I'll have a big plate of Mexican food and a few beers and some dessert.

It's not binging, as I certainly have control. It's just a plan to have a higher calorie meal. I'm not going to even call it a treat because I fit it into my macros. "Treat" implies that it's something extra, something additional. It's not.

So-called "experts" who say to treat yourself once in a while to a piece of cake or to have a day where you don't track calories are contributing to the mentality that there are "good" and "bad" foods and that some foods are off limits unless you fall off the wagon or take a "diet break" (another stupid, over-used term).

This thinking is what leads to eating disorders. Oh well, I screwed up by having a 200 calorie brownie (which may absolutely perfectly fit into my macros but I don't do IIFYM because I follow Dr. Oz's diet recommendations instead), so now I'll just go out of control and eat whatever I want until I can't breathe instead. I'll get back on track tomorrow.

Now it's tomorrow and I'm going to eat clean! I had oatmeal, two egg whites, and a small orange for breakfast. Today I am back on track! I'm going to eat my healthy lunch which consists of lean turkey, spinach, tomatoes, and some fat-free cheese!

TIME OUT! The boss invites me out to a lunch meeting at a RESTAURANT! OH NO! Now my diet is ruined for the day. Well, I might as well order the cheeseburger and fries. Hell, I'll have a regular Coke too, I've blown it already anyway because of this STUPID lunch my boss is making me feel obligated to attend! Where is that damn server with the dessert menu?! I need a big slice of cheesecake to go with this coffee and 20 tablespoons of sugar.

For dinner I'll just pick up a large pizza. Today is ruined anyway, what difference does it make?

Tomorrow I'll get back on track!

OR

I could just do IIFYM, eat foods I enjoy, and not have to live a life of obsessing over food every minute of the day.

tl;dr: Dump fad diets, don't binge, and do IIFYM for the win.

Great post.

SimonThePieman
05-23-2012, 04:34 PM
that sounds awesome actually lol. do you do something similar during a bulk?

I don't see the point in a bulk. Certainly not doing it to extremes anyway. ie some days a maintenance and others at +1Kcal. i'd be more comfortable eating like that and routine and consistency are the most important things on a diet IMO.

For when i next step up my cut, I might experiment with running a few trace carbs, low fat high protein days with a few regular close to maintenance days with a 40/30/30 macro split and see how I adapt to that. I reckon it would deliver great results, but there's only one way to find out

psychodiver9
05-23-2012, 05:39 PM
I don't see the point in a bulk. Certainly not doing it to extremes anyway. ie some days a maintenance and others at +1Kcal. i'd be more comfortable eating like that and routine and consistency are the most important things on a diet IMO.

For when i next step up my cut, I might experiment with running a few trace carbs, low fat high protein days with a few regular close to maintenance days with a 40/30/30 macro split and see how I adapt to that. I reckon it would deliver great results, but there's only one way to find out

You trollin brah?

AlwaysTryin
05-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Typically people search for validation for behaviors they are engaging in. Even to think of doing this shows an unhealthy relationship with food. Go back under your rockIIRC he has/had an ED himself along with his mental issues and stalker issues

psychodiver9
05-23-2012, 05:52 PM
IIRC he has/had an ED himself along with his mental issues and stalker issues

Unaware. Just shocked by not believing in bulk and ratio talk

AlwaysTryin
05-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Unaware. Just shocked by not believing in bulk and ratio talk
You'd remember him stalking that girl (lorner??) Put his avi as him holding his boner etc?

He has had huge binging issues too

psychodiver9
05-23-2012, 06:01 PM
You'd remember him stalking that girl (lorner??) Put his avi as him holding his boner etc?

Your thinking of blackheart. He was a creeper

rk17074
05-23-2012, 07:24 PM
lols at everyone saying you have a disorder. It's called a cheat day. Don't fast the next day, just get back on track. Maybe cut carbs a bit.

Cheat Day
- dont graze all day.
- have 3-4 planned meals.
- 1 of those meals should be a high protein, high fiber meal.

Disregard tracking macros for the day and then get back on track.

Achieve your goals, but live your life.

yes

AlwaysTryin
05-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Your thinking of blackheart. He was a creeper

I know I am.... It's your response TO blackheart I quoted. You drunk? Lol

SimonThePieman
05-23-2012, 08:58 PM
You trollin brah?

no not really. The first line is meant to say, i don't see the point in calorie cycling on a bulk.

The other stuff in the cut is true.

BlackHeart.au
05-23-2012, 11:12 PM
IIRC he has/had an ED himself along with his mental issues and stalker issues

Yes I did have "ED" so I would know what "ED" is. What OP is asking is "Not" ED IMO.

Lol, Lorin knew it was just Copy/pastas and was just kidding with her. Even had a Private conversation about. However you guys blew it out of proportion, when even said herself she was fine about it.