PDA

View Full Version : canned tuna and mercury

airlannmd
05-21-2012, 03:37 AM
Is it Safe to Eat 6 cans of tuna a week? there 95 gram cans which is pretty small.
can this much tuna cause mercury posioning?

o3hundred
05-21-2012, 04:12 AM
Is it Safe to Eat 6 cans of tuna a week? there 95 gram cans which is pretty small.

I don't think that anything will happen. I have been eating tuna for a long time now. Since last year, tuna, just like quick oats, became my almost daily food.(1 day is the maximum amount of time I didn't have one of either) Nothing happened to so far. I recently did blood tests, and got great results. So, no I don't think you will get poisoned.

nobrah
05-21-2012, 06:14 AM
The recommended amount is 6oz of "higher mercury" tuna (such as albacore) per week and 12oz of "lower mercury" tuna (eg. chunk light). Though in reality it's unlikely to be an issue provided you don't go nuts eating high risk foods. I honestly can't recall a case of mercury poisoning from 1 can per day, even over the course of years. If anyone has records of a case, please let me know.

TheChampion007
05-21-2012, 07:53 AM
2 cans a day dude checking in.

MNTiburon
05-21-2012, 08:01 AM

Personally wouldn't feel comfortable ingesting that much mercury every week. Canned salmon is a little more expensive but very little mercury.

xMichaelx26
05-21-2012, 08:08 AM
I wouldn't worry about it.

chuck442
05-21-2012, 09:31 AM
There is a website called like mercury truth.org or something. Anyways it shows that tuna for instance has high concentrations of selenium which more than cancel out the effects of mercury. Interesting read. I haven't thoroughly researched it but the website did catch my interest.

airlannmd
05-23-2012, 12:00 AM
There is a website called like mercury truth.org or something. Anyways it shows that tuna for instance has high concentrations of selenium which more than cancel out the effects of mercury. Interesting read. I haven't thoroughly researched it but the website did catch my interest.
can you post link?
and does other people have any other infomation on my question?

hawaiistack
05-23-2012, 12:35 AM
Do you like tuna OP?

Because you can eat foods you like and still meet your goals, be it bulk or cut. Just sayin..

airlannmd
05-23-2012, 01:06 AM
Do you like tuna OP?

Because you can eat foods you like and still meet your goals, be it bulk or cut. Just sayin..
its an easy source of protein to get during school time and when you dont have time to prepared food

determined4000
05-23-2012, 01:08 AM
Stick with chunk light

AlwaysTryin
05-23-2012, 02:13 AM
its an easy source of protein to get during school time and when you dont have time to prepared food

You could just eat once home?