PDA

View Full Version : Carb Cycling Opinions?

lostsymphonies
05-19-2012, 06:55 PM
21years old, 5'6, 145lbs, ~10%bf

I have been carb cycling for the past couple of weeks with 3 days of low carbs (30%carbs/25%fats/45%protein) and then 1 high day of carbs (50%carbs/20%fats/30%protein). I found these ratios from Scoobysworkshop website. I am not following the outline of meals he gave--just using the ratios. I also aim for 2100 calories a day and eat 5 meals a day evenly spaced out.

My questions:
-My main goal is to lose bf% while retaining muscle-should I stick this current plan of 3 low carb days followed by 1 high carb day or should I just constantly keep the carbs low and throw away the high carb day?

-Do these ratios look okay for a carb cycling cycle?

-On Scoobysworkshop website, he says that the quality of carbs you intake are crucial, and that's why the majority of carbs his website plans for you are frozen vegetables. Should I stick with using these a main carb source or does it not make a difference if I take in carbs from rice cakes, whole wheat tortillas, whole wheat bread etc?

Any advice is welcome, thanks!

BDeblo
05-19-2012, 07:18 PM
As long as you maintain an average daily intake of sufficient fat and protein while preserving your 10-20% deficit it is irrelevant in terms of body composition. There are no metabolic advantages to cycling carbs, however, if that's what you prefer, then do what you prefer, eat what you prefer, when you prefer it.
The "quality of carbs" is irrelevant as long as you are getting adequate micronutrients and satiety

TinyMuscolo
05-20-2012, 12:37 AM
Ratios seem to be ok, but keep in mind that you dont need to be precise. Dont leave out the high-carb day, as it yields the benefits of cycling carbs.

As for Scooby, he's a really cool guy and I appreciate his effort to bring fitness to everyone's lives with no expense....but the infos he provides are complete BROSCIENCE.

Said that, the "quality" of carbs is not crucial (hell, what the quality term means is even foggy!) but the suggestion on veggies as main carb sources has its backing in superior miconutrient intake, and satiety, which may be a problem on a cut.
Therefore, make sure you eat some veggies everyday, but it doesn't make an ounce of difference if u have some tortilla wraps, bread, pizza, pastries, as long as they stay within your total calorie ceiling -IIFYM baby! ;) -.

Im currently carb cycling with freedom, enjoying variety and getting results. If ure interested, check the link in my signature, it's my losing fat log, with pics of food and updates and whatever else.

Glad to be helpful if so.