PDA

View Full Version : my sweet tooth is ruining me!!!! good alternatives?

anthonydc12052
05-18-2012, 08:46 PM
i've turned eating healthy/losing weight into a lifestyle for the past year.
this past few months my sweet tooth is getting worse, eating cookies and ice cream to much.
im sure most people are gonna say "fit it into your macros" but sometimes i dont
are there any alternatives to the sweets without the horrible calories?
just wondering.

riaden
05-18-2012, 08:58 PM
chew gum

E-Tank
05-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Find something without fructose in it.

fructose doesnt suppress your hunger which is a reason why you keep eating it cuz youre not full nom sayin

anthonydc12052
05-18-2012, 09:12 PM
thanks, i try and do the gum thing most of the time. i also take 1 day of the week as my cheat day also to try and help me out. doesnt all ice cream and sweets have fructose in it? im kinda dumb when it comes to nutrition

CorbinChewbins
05-18-2012, 09:18 PM
gum or sugar free jello

StoliFun
05-19-2012, 12:32 AM
Eat sweet potatoes more often. I cube them up, season with cinnamon and chipotle powder, and roast them in some coconut oil. It doesn't exactly taste like cake, and it won't substitute for ice cream, but it might be a start at satisfying your sweet tooth. Roasted carrots are also very rich, at least for me.

Try low-fructose desserts, like baked apples or pears with cinnamon and nutmeg. Use good spices to make it especially satisfying.

Have you tried minor indulgences? After dinner, I like a cup of black tea with a teaspoon of honey in it. I'll add some coconut milk to give it a fattier mouthfeel.

Kagina
05-19-2012, 12:44 AM
Try walden farms syrups. I love it with my oats, fruit, and it suppresses my sweet tooth with no calories added

SimonThePieman
05-19-2012, 12:50 AM
I made home made protein bars. Works for me.

also sweetcorn is delicious and may help s part of your savoury meal

determined4000
05-19-2012, 01:17 AM
bake/cook w/ whey
fruit
SF jello

addictR3
05-19-2012, 01:27 AM
I'd look at a completely different avenue, why are you eating this food? Whats lacking in your life? I'd find something else that will take your mind off food and let you enjoy just living your life.

anthonydc12052
05-19-2012, 02:27 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys
I will def try the baked sweet potatoes and baked apples. I don't believe there's anything missing really, I just enjoy sweets way to much!

chillaxbroseph
05-19-2012, 02:50 AM
im sure most people are gonna say "fit it into your macros" but sometimes i dont

And that's our problem? You need to learn about moderation or you're going to adopt an extremist mindset. You're going to completely eradicate the foods you love from your diet in an effort to CURE your cravings? That doesn't sound logical to me. If you're absolutely intent on doing this, I would also recommend incorporating some more fruit in your diet. Anjou/bosc pears and gala/fuji/braebraun apples are all sweet fruits tat I love eating in abundance. Hit your local supermarket and start branching out.

miacanesfan25
05-19-2012, 03:34 AM
I just skimmed down the thread on my phone but I'm pretty sure nobody mentioned that b&j stuff. Heard that was pretty tasty.

THElabCHIMP
05-19-2012, 03:54 AM
warning- this may be a long post. it is something I have really struggled with personally.

I'm going to use the word sugar to describe the sort of fast acting sugars in their simplest shortest chain form, such as table sugar. ones which instantly taste sweet and have no nutritional value apart from their calories. I understand how disaccharides/ polysaccharides are all made up of chains of, and all eventually break down into monosaccharides. before anybody points that out.

I come from a family of sweet toothed sugar munchers!
I've seen my dad consume chocolate by the lb. my sister likes cake so much, she now runs a cake buisness. and well as for me, in the past, I wouldn't think twice about eating 2 / 3 pints if Ben and jerrys in one sitting.

me and my youngest sister are the only ones who have ever had a weight problem. so naturally I had to change my habbits.

In my opinion, sugars are an adictive substance. and to add to the problem, theyre everywhere! you get this huuuuge buzz, seratonin/ dopamine(I forget which) and your blood sugar go through the roof. then your body's damn self regulating functions kick in and you crash. without realising what has gone on, you go and get another 10 cookies or bowl of ice cream.

if you can consume them in moderation and fit them into your macros, that is way better than going cold turkey. but when you have an addiction, there's no such thing as moderation.

I had to deal with them the way a smoker or an alcoholic may deal with their addictions. cut back slowly untill my consumption of refined sugars became almost zero.
I don't know many ex smokers or who once a week, smoke 3 packs a day, or alcoholics who weekley have one day of getting wasted. (though there are some)

90% of my simple sugar intake is probably from bannanas, and other similar more nutritious, fiberous and stomach filling sources such as apples. I cook almost everything from scratch to avoid the hidden ingredients of processed foods/ ready meals ect.

a lot of people are going to step up to the mark here with their Freudian denial fueled bs about how sugar isnt a problem. but if it causes you to over eat like It did to me. it clearly is a problem.

even now, if I have refined sugar, I really really struggle not to binge. but as I cut them out of my diet, I have gotten a huge reduction in craving frequency and strength.

but you can do it! it honestly does get easier to battle once you get you're head around it. don't go cold turkey right away.

alow yourself a moderate amount. and each week. cut it back gradually. as you do this, you find that you need less sugar to get the same buzz that you crave.

the human will power is an amazing thing.

it is like a muscle. if you exercise your will, it becomes stronger.

another point- you can make pseudo deserts to trick your body without the sugar, by putting similar ingredients in there.

eg- if I crave chocolate, I make protein sludge with a small amount of unsweetened coco powder. or use chocolate whey. put some nuts in there.

oats are amazing for this too. almost any fruit mixes well. when I have cravings for a sugar laden raspberry doughnut- I put some rasperrys all up in my oats. same with blueberrys.

cottage cheese works well with the above too.

don't forget cinnamon!

artificial sweeteners- meh. some people can use it. I end up eating a jar full.

the same works for savoury too! if Im low carbing it. and craving pizza. I use spinach for the base. tomato purée, cheese. then some peppers and onions and turkey on the top.

but yeh man. don't live your life in fear of cake/ icecream/ desert. if you're at a party or its your birthday/ Christmas/ family dinner. have desert. learn to ride out the crave wave. distract your mind from thoughts of bingeing.

if I can think of anything else, I'll post some more.

once again. this is my opinion, based on my own personal experience. this is what worked for me to fight what i belive was genuine addiction to fast acting sugars.

anthonydc12052
05-19-2012, 04:09 AM
Thanks and I enjoyed your post chimp!
It's no addiction by any means I just have no will power when it comes to grabbing something sweet or craving them.. That's why I'm trying to use 1 day a week where I have that craving fulfilled..

dapits
05-19-2012, 05:14 AM
Maybe try those water flavor thing, like Mio or Crystal Light.

I don't really like crystal light but lots of people do. On the other hand, I think mio is awesome and there are no difference in taste, in my opinion, with fruit punch or wathever the flavor you chose. I always have some laying around for when I need some extra sweet.

razorfin
05-19-2012, 05:15 AM
I make this, cut it into 1/3rds and munch a 1/3rd after my gym sessions, delish! 1 per week. Schwing!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141848361&page=1

Obv you can change/add some ingredients, i'd recommend adding lemon juice.

stefanuus
05-19-2012, 05:23 AM
unsweatened cocoa + chocolate whey protein powder + little bit of water= chocolate pudding of the gods

THElabCHIMP
05-19-2012, 05:43 AM
unsweatened cocoa + chocolate whey protein powder + little bit of water= chocolate pudding of the gods

you tried putting some natty PB all up in there?

I use 50g pb to about 30 g of whey

takes a bit of effort to mix. but its effort worth.
Its so good, my stomach thought it was cheat day

stefanuus
05-19-2012, 07:00 AM
you tried putting some natty PB all up in there?

I use 50g pb to about 30 g of whey

takes a bit of effort to mix. but its effort worth.
Its so good, my stomach thought it was cheat day

Yeah sometimes i put it but i find it has no effect on taste so only put it in if i overdo the water.....
Just ate some pancakes with that mix in fact tastesgoodman.jpg

TinyMuscolo
05-19-2012, 07:18 AM
Just put artificial no-cal sweeteners anywhere! It's so easy to do a good sweet meal with any ingredients.

THElabCHIMP
05-19-2012, 08:16 AM
Yeah sometimes i put it but i find it has no effect on taste so only put it in if i overdo the water.....
Just ate some pancakes with that mix in fact tastesgoodman.jpg

its gota be crunchy PB. none of this smooth lark

712blaster712
05-19-2012, 01:40 PM
i've turned eating healthy/losing weight into a lifestyle for the past year.
this past few months my sweet tooth is getting worse, eating cookies and ice cream to much.
are there any alternatives to the sweets without the horrible calories?
just wondering.

whole milk and real peanut butter help me.

Flat4Suby
05-19-2012, 01:43 PM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141848361&page=1

Arctic Zero Ice Cream

as mentioned, SF Syrup, SF preservatives

obey46
05-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Have you looked into Stevia? It's a natural sweetener. Lean Body Lifestyle has some recipes for deserts: leanbodylifestyle.com/recipes

degibson84
05-19-2012, 03:07 PM
I started baking with protein powder to make pies and sorts of things. Fat free sugar free instant pudding with vanilla powder as a filling and graham cracker protein mixed with graham crackers as the crust.

randy1978
05-19-2012, 07:26 PM
I have issues with waking up in the midddle of the night and snacking.