PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition on a three week deload

Push
05-17-2012, 09:09 PM
I've been over-reaching at the gym recently, so have decided to take a three week break. The first week I have been eating at maintenance/slight surplus to allow optimal recovery. However, as I have been bulking my bodyfat % has gone up to around 13.5%. I have also gained noticeable lean muscle mass, however I was wondering if eating at a slight deficit of 250-500 cals a day on the second and third weeks of my deload could be an option? If I up my protein, and still lift a heavy enough weight to maintain muscle mass (however fewer sets/exercises etc). I am also receiving deep tissue massage once a week during these three weeks.

What do you guys think? During this first week I haven't stepped foot inside the gym at all, and will start "de-loading" for the next two weeks.

psychodiver9
05-18-2012, 02:41 AM
Why would you do sonethin stupid like take 3 weeks off id not injured? One is plenty

SuffolkPunch
05-18-2012, 02:48 AM
^^ That, 3 weeks is way too much, I would lose a lot from all my lifts in that time.

Push
05-18-2012, 07:13 AM
I haven't had any time off this year at all, and have been in a caloric deficit for a large portion of it, as I started the year on a cut. During that time I was training 8 times a week including weights/cardio, so I just feel my body needs a rest. The second and third week I'm simply going to be deloading my weights, AKA lifting lighter weights, less sets etc etc, and ramping it up again in the third week. I just feel I need it so when I start lifting heavy again my body is primed and I won't have the lingering doubts in the back of my head that I'm still overdoing it.

Any tips on the diet part though?

psychodiver9
05-18-2012, 07:23 AM
Eat at maintenance during your waste of time.

SiMON2g
05-18-2012, 07:29 AM
I haven't had any time off this year at all, and have been in a caloric deficit for a large portion of it, as I started the year on a cut. During that time I was training 8 times a week including weights/cardio, so I just feel my body needs a rest. The second and third week I'm simply going to be deloading my weights, AKA lifting lighter weights, less sets etc etc, and ramping it up again in the third week. I just feel I need it so when I start lifting heavy again my body is primed and I won't have the lingering doubts in the back of my head that I'm still overdoing it.

Any tips on the diet part though?

You're body shouldn't need 3 weeks to fully recover what you have put it through if your are sufficiently providing it with the correct fuels.
Ensure your BCAA's are sufficient to ensure that muscle mass is not depleted. 3 weeks is probably too long of a break, but if you feel you need it, then take it. But, try and figure out the reason why it's needed, has your nutrition been poor?
When I say that, I'm not just talking about adequate intake of macro nutrients, i'm also talking about vitamins and minerals, you need to correctly supply your body with the ammunition it needs to fight and get stronger.