PDA

View Full Version : Cutting and carbs

seriouslifter
05-17-2012, 03:20 PM
I know its all about calories, but now im talking about energy evolving around working out. If I have protein/carbs upon waking up and just carbs post workout, how will i have energy for the gym? I go to the gym prob 9 hours after 1st meal with carbs. Lunch time carbs are only veggies so that doesnt count. Should my pre workout consist of fats along with the can of tuna i eat? Im trying to lower my calories and want to keep protein high and not cut that out.

k9pit
05-17-2012, 03:42 PM
I can't tell you how your body will react, I'll only tell you what works for me.

My pre-workout meal is typically the highest in carbs on the day.

i.e., 3/4 cup oatmeal, 1/2-1 medium size banana, with 10-20g vanilla protein powder and cinnamon. It usually totals out to 55-80g carbs depending on how I make it.

I typically eat an hour or 2 before working out. I also have some carbs intra-workout. This works best for me.

On days where I workout later in the day, I apply the same approach. I'll eat lower carb/lower fat meals using high fiber tortilla wraps with meat/egg sources, then do the oats/banana for the prior to the workout.

I figure I'm not going to actually burn off all the carbs I've eaten, so after I workout I'll just meet my macro targets however which is typically more protein and fats. If I hit the protein and fat targets....I'll likely eat more carbs. If not, then I just do meat and veggies which is the way I like to eat most of the time anyway.

I don't do high fats prior to working out as I end up sweating heavily and feel weighed down. I eat the bulk of my fats after.

YMMV.

peanut-butter
05-17-2012, 05:18 PM
I recommend having the majority of your CHO a few hours before you train.

chevro1et
05-18-2012, 04:07 AM
I can't tell you how your body will react, I'll only tell you what works for me.
*snip*
YMMV.
^^Strong this. Everybody reacts differently, you have to experiment or simply make an adjustment and wait for your body to get used to it.

SuffolkPunch
05-18-2012, 05:05 AM
I don't eat carbs all week and train after a 16 hour fast. My body has gotten used to it. I still get PRs under these conditions so it's hardly compromised.

nobrah
05-18-2012, 05:12 AM
I know its all about calories, but now im talking about energy evolving around working out. If I have protein/carbs upon waking up and just carbs post workout, how will i have energy for the gym? I go to the gym prob 9 hours after 1st meal with carbs. Lunch time carbs are only veggies so that doesnt count. Should my pre workout consist of fats along with the can of tuna i eat? Im trying to lower my calories and want to keep protein high and not cut that out.
I'm curious why veggies don't count. They're carb sources with non-fiber calories which, depending on the amounts you eat, can be significant. The micronutrients can also have an energizing feeling. I find it strange how so many people exclude vegetables in discussions and meal plans even though they're supposedly present.

rob2093124
05-18-2012, 05:31 AM
i don't eat carbs all week and train after a 16 hour fast. My body has gotten used to it. I still get prs under these conditions so it's hardly compromised.
ckd?

SuffolkPunch
05-18-2012, 05:38 AM
ckd?Yes - or at least a mixture of that and Jamie Lewis' apex predator diet - and IF meal timings.

Anthony21
05-18-2012, 07:18 AM
I eat carbs spread through out the day and don't really worry about eating large majority before my training or not. What matters to me is getting my macros at the end of the day. Love dem carbs!!

rob2093124
05-18-2012, 07:20 AM
Yes - or at least a mixture of that and Jamie Lewis' apex predator diet - and IF meal timings.
nice. i did that for a while. sticking to 100 a day now