PDA

View Full Version : Easy question about protein

cmberges
05-17-2012, 06:31 AM
I am wondering if the DYMATIZE ELITE Fusion 7 is an ok choice for a bedtime shake or should I also get the DYMATIZE ELITE CASEIN? I know the fusion 7 has casein in it but will it be enough to get me through the night?

Thanks guys and as always I value your opinion.

WonderPug
05-17-2012, 06:33 AM
It's irrelevant because it's total daily nutrient intake that matters, and thus there's no need for a protein shake at all unless your diet is otherwise deficient in protein and there's absolutely no special benefit to consuming protein of any type before bed.

FitnessCPA
05-17-2012, 06:33 AM
Doesn't matter. Get enough protein in your daily diet and it makes no difference whether you have protein before bed.

WonderPug
05-17-2012, 06:34 AM
By the way, protein powders are just processed powered foods. When possible, it's a better idea to get nutrition from whole and minimally processed foods.

cmberges
05-17-2012, 06:58 AM
Thanks guys for the quick responces and I know that whole foods are best. I know all the diet in's and outs but a lot of people swear by bedtime protein so that is why I asked. I am getting ready to cut (have 40lbs to knock off) and I don't think I will be able to eat that much "whole food" in a day.

Thanks again.

kasteanal
05-17-2012, 07:00 AM
Thanks guys for the quick responces and I know that whole foods are best. I know all the diet in's and outs but a lot of people swear by bedtime protein so that is why I asked. I am getting ready to cut (have 40lbs to knock off) and I don't think I will be able to eat that much "whole food" in a day.

Those people who swear by bedtime protein are either stupid or ignorant. Or both. Say no to stupid.

FitnessCPA
05-17-2012, 07:00 AM
You're going to be cutting yet you don't think you'll be able to eat enough foods? Do you get very full very easily?

cmberges
05-17-2012, 07:17 AM
Yes I do get full easy. I use to be very large (375lbs) and got a lap-band sugery which restricts food intake. I have since lost over 150lbs then started lifting very serious. I have an extreamly clean diet and use the protein shakes to offset the loss of food intake.

I'm looking at 2300cal a day and need the protein. My workout are tourcher, just finshed the madcow 5x5 and put on 30lbs (started at 235) and now i'm switching to a bodybuilding style workout to keep the mass on and trim the fat off.

Anyways I thought it was a simpler question than it needed to be but there is more details for you. I'm also not a noob by any means and know how to structure a diet. I was just wondering which protein before bed was best, not if I need it.

Thanks

WonderPug
05-17-2012, 07:19 AM
I have an extreamly clean diet and use the protein shakes to offset the loss of food intake.What in the world do you think an "extremely clean diet" is???

rand18m
05-17-2012, 07:24 AM
Yes I do get full easy. I use to be very large (375lbs) and got a lap-band sugery which restricts food intake. I have since lost over 150lbs then started lifting very serious. I have an extreamly clean diet and use the protein shakes to offset the loss of food intake.

I'm looking at 2300cal a day and need the protein. My workout are tourcher, just finshed the madcow 5x5 and put on 30lbs (started at 235) and now i'm switching to a bodybuilding style workout to keep the mass on and trim the fat off.

Anyways I thought it was a simpler question than it needed to be but there is more details for you. I'm also not a noob by any means and know how to structure a diet. I was just wondering which protein before bed was best, not if I need it.

Thanks

I would say your situation is unique and just considering the gastric restriction you very well may need to supplement protein, however there's no real evidence that you'll get any special benefit by having protein specifically before bedtime. Just make sure you hit your daily targets and you'll be fine. If you really want a detailed answer to your original question perhaps you should try the supplement forum.

FitnessCPA
05-17-2012, 07:25 AM
Ah, lap band. I would think that will definitely make you feel fuller, if you're getting it filled regularly.

If you're down to a healthy weight and/or not looking to lose anymore, wouldn't you just not have it filled?

cmberges
05-17-2012, 07:29 AM
I would say your situation is unique and just considering the gastric restriction you very well may need to supplement protein, however there's no real evidence that you'll get any special benefit by having protein specifically before bedtime. Just make sure you hit your daily targets and you'll be fine. If you really want a detailed answer to your original question perhaps you should try the supplement forum.

Great advice----> TY

I will post it over there.

MNTiburon
05-17-2012, 07:32 AM
What in the world do you think an "extremely clean diet" is???

I think he means

"When possible, it's a better idea to get nutrition from whole and minimally processed foods." -Wonderpug

rob2093124
05-17-2012, 08:13 AM
Dymatize tastes like **** to me.... just FYI