PDA

View Full Version : PostWorkout Shake

Dallas17
05-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Important meal, has anyone included Dextrose into their post workout shake and noticed any gains from it? or any benefits? Lean Bulking ATM.

RussWheeler
05-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Important meal, has anyone included Dextrose into their post workout shake and noticed any gains from it? or any benefits? Lean Bulking ATM.

Why dextrose? Do you like the taste?
To answer your question no, I have not. I usually have a glass of milk then dinner, sometimes lunch, all depending what time of day I lifted things up and put them down. Sometimes I just go to bed.

Dallas17
05-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Why dextrose? Do you like the taste?
To answer your question no, I have not. I usually have a glass of milk then dinner, sometimes lunch, all depending what time of day I lifted things up and put them down. Sometimes I just go to bed.
Dextrose causes an Insulin spike in the body, so if mixed with protein, BCAA, Creatine, Glutamine Post workout shake the insulin spike should carry those products into the muscle faster and more efficiently, which would fuel glucose levels and better repair the muscles = more growth...just wondering if anyone has supplemented with it and found it to be true.

WonderPug
05-16-2012, 02:47 PM
You don't need any form of carbohydrate post workout, just as you don't need a protein shake post workout.

What you do need is to learn the basics about nutrition:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136691851
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

RussWheeler
05-16-2012, 02:49 PM
broscience.

Check out the last sticky, by AlanAragon.
I'm not entitled to post links yet otherwise I would have supplied it.

BDeblo
05-16-2012, 02:50 PM
There are no drastic benefits that will come from incorporating dextrose in a (unnecessary) post-workout shake. Nutrient timing is largely a function of personal preference based on performance, lifestyle and so on.

razorfin
05-16-2012, 02:59 PM
OP, today after my workout, I didn't eat anything for 2 hours. Just sayin.

fretslayer
05-16-2012, 03:21 PM
You don't need any form of carbohydrate post workout, just as you don't need a protein shake post workout.

What you do need is to learn the basics about nutrition:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136691851
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Forum nutrition nazi to the rescue! What would we all do without you??

BDeblo
05-16-2012, 03:25 PM
OP, today after my workout, I didn't eat anything for 2 hours and lost all ma gainz!
trolololololol

AlwaysTryin
05-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Didn't you make a post workout thread a few days ago?

bkerp
05-16-2012, 06:54 PM
I've been mixing dextrose with my PWO whey protein shake for a few months and noticed it gives me much better recovery. I remember being stuck at a certain rep# or weight and it helped break through that. I've gained about 3-5 pounds and it appears to be all muscle. I also reduced my amount of cardio so that has also helped my gain in strength.

RussWheeler
05-16-2012, 06:59 PM
I've been mixing dextrose with my PWO whey protein shake for a few months and noticed it gives me much better recovery. I remember being stuck at a certain rep# or weight and it helped break through that. I've gained about 3-5 pounds and it appears to be all muscle. I also reduced my amount of cardio so that has also helped my gain in strength.

I've also been wearing the same underwear to the gym for the past few months and have also noticed some great gains. They must be totally caused by my dirty drawers.

ZMan45
05-16-2012, 07:01 PM
I've been mixing dextrose with my PWO whey protein shake for a few months and noticed it gives me much better recovery. I remember being stuck at a certain rep# or weight and it helped break through that. I've gained about 3-5 pounds and it appears to be all muscle. I also reduced my amount of cardio so that has also helped my gain in strength.And you attribute that to the dextrose? That could quite literally be anything. You would get the same results from any kind of sugar candy.

bkerp
05-17-2012, 05:54 PM
I agree. Sugar candy may work just as well. I am not saying it was definitely the dextrose. I am saying that after I started adding it to my shake I noticed improved recovery. Maybe it was the dextrose, maybe it wasn't. Dextrose was the only change I made to my diet at the time.