PDA

View Full Version : Creatine and hair loss

Blacklabel3
05-15-2012, 12:25 AM
What's the word around here on creatine and hair loss? I've seen the some of the studies that claim creatine increases DHT in the blood while not increasing testosterone. For those of you that may be unaware, DHT is believed to be the main cause of male pattern balding.

Are these studies at all worthwhile? Is DHT increase from creatine a reasonable reason to stay away from creatine? If they're right and creatine does somehow increase DHT, does this DHT make into the hair follicles at the scalp? Does anyone around here know much about this stuff?

I'd prefer to use creatine but fears of worsening my hair loss situation has made me stay away from it for a long time. I'm really just wondering what the general consensus is on the matter around here.

Blacklabel3
05-15-2012, 07:38 PM
No one?

Here is a source talking about creatine increasing DHT.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19741313

Another one, but I think it's on the same study.
http://www.exercisebiology.com/index.php/site/articles/creatine_increases_dihydrotestosterone_dht_is_crea tine_bad_for_your_health/

Opinions?

Quadzilla99
05-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Will Brink says that was the result of a faulty study:

Quadzilla99
05-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Thats the wrong vid actually imo. I remember he said it somewhere can't find where tbh.

Blacklabel3
05-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Will Brink says that was the result of a faulty study:

Well I watched that video and he didn't mention anything about DHT or hair loss......

chipevans22
05-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Too many conflicting studies. Just take it and if you lose hair after a few years you can blame creatine if you want but who knows ;)

Blacklabel3
05-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Too many conflicting studies. Just take it and if you lose hair after a few years you can blame creatine if you want but who knows ;)

I've already started to lose my hair. I'm genetically predisposed to balding. I'm concerned that the increase in DHT from creatine will speed up my balding, if creatine increasing DHT is actually a real thing to be worried about.

R1balla
05-15-2012, 07:53 PM
never seen or heard ANYTHING about creating R/T hairloss

Blacklabel3
05-15-2012, 07:54 PM
never seen or heard ANYTHING about creating R/T hairloss

"creatine hair loss DHT" searched in google = About 86,300 results

Quadzilla99
05-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Its in the comments section here right at the bottom of the page:

http://www.brinkzone.com/supplement-science/does-caffeine-block-the-effects-of-creatine/

Blacklabel3
05-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Its in the comments section here right at the bottom of the page:

http://www.brinkzone.com/supplement-science/does-caffeine-block-the-effects-of-creatine/

This is the comment you're referring to.

Will Brink says this about the study I linked.

"There was a single study in soccer players I recall that found the effect, and it was not a very well done study that that. No study before or after has ever found the effect on DHT, nor would I expect them to. It’s a non issues people really need to let go of and move on… :)"

chipevans22
05-15-2012, 07:58 PM
I've already started to lose my hair. I'm genetically predisposed to balding. I'm concerned that the increase in DHT from creatine will speed up my balding, if creatine increasing DHT is actually a real thing to be worried about.

Well in that case I guess it's either take the risk for the benefits of creatine or just cut it out of your stack. Hopefully it doesn't cause I personally like my hair too but I've read so many different case studies either could be possible. It has be other factors involved if it was proven each way. So goodluck!

Blacklabel3
05-16-2012, 10:17 AM
bump for more input

mustangjay559
05-16-2012, 11:20 AM
whats the answer your looking for? It sounds like you found your answer. You believe creatine is causing you to lose your hair. So stop taking it... If some one posts some thing that says creatine does not cause hairloss and the DHT factor is so minimal it could not possible effect you, but you continue to lose your hair would you blame it on your genetics or the creatine? I say its your genetics and your sol but do what makes you happy keep taking it or stop. I think creatine is a waste of money and don't take it but thats my opinion.

Blacklabel3
05-16-2012, 11:36 AM
whats the answer your looking for? It sounds like you found your answer. You believe creatine is causing you to lose your hair. So stop taking it... If some one posts some thing that says creatine does not cause hairloss and the DHT factor is so minimal it could not possible effect you, but you continue to lose your hair would you blame it on your genetics or the creatine? I say its your genetics and your sol but do what makes you happy keep taking it or stop. I think creatine is a waste of money and don't take it but thats my opinion.

I'm not looking for a specific answer. I'm just looking to get more thoughts on the subject.

I don't think creatine is causing my hair loss because I'm not taking creatine.

Blacklac
05-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Take it with Toco-8 for good measure?

Mrpb
06-13-2013, 11:22 PM
This is the comment you're referring to.

Will Brink says this about the study I linked.

"There was a single study in soccer players I recall that found the effect, and it was not a very well done study that that. No study before or after has ever found the effect on DHT, nor would I expect them to. It’s a non issues people really need to let go of and move on… :)"

To respond to the comment: As far as I know it's the only study done. And the only study done shows very significant effects. When I read the study I quit creatine.

I'm prone to MPB and I do not want to take a supplement that raises DHT levels.

nuroppo
06-14-2013, 01:19 AM
Do what you gotta do OP. I personally still have my hair and I've been taking it for over a year and a half. I'd say if you are going to go bald anyways, might as well throw in the creatine in your stack and look bald AND ripped outta your mind, ha ha.

superreise2
06-14-2013, 03:29 AM
some say it will make you go bald faster some say that's BS. at the end of the day if your going to go bald... your going to go bald. maybe creatine will slightly speed up the process but if its going to happen anyway who cares right.