PDA

View Full Version : All food going to my belly/stomach and not my muscles - building mass

whufcwesthamuni
05-12-2012, 03:18 AM
I am trying to gain mass. I am eating quite a lot as well as lifting quite a lot. It seems though that whenever I eat, the food is not going to my muscles to rebuild them and make them bigger, and instead the food is going to my belly and is being stored as fat to give me a bigger stomach. How do I change this and stop this from happening?

psychodiver9
05-12-2012, 03:19 AM
Magic. Or try posting information thy is useful like macros, maintenance, do you lift, etc

THElabCHIMP
05-12-2012, 05:31 AM
you can't force feed muscle growth!
you're muscles do actualy grow at an incredibly slow rate, in comparison to what some people claim. ie "gain 30 lbs a month on this diet"
your body has a limited rate protein synthesis. you cannot exceed this naturally, no matter how much you eat. begginers probably 25 lbs a year. after that, 10 lbs of lean mass a year then becomes an amazing achievement. after a few more years, you pretty much are guna struggle to grow without some enhancements.

aim for no more than 1lb a week. 500 calories above maintenance is enough to gain lean mass, whilst minimising fat.

get your macros is check. if you don't balance them, chances are you aren't optimally feeding your muscle growth. eg- if you eat 49 g protein, 20g fat, then got the rest of your calories from carbs, you could be still getting a calorie surplus, and gain little to no muscle, compared to balancing your diet. similarly if you eat too much protein and not enough carbs. or not enough fat.

get your calories from clean sources. some people will dispute this, but i find eating decently minimises fat gain for me. eg low gi carbs, not too much sugar. unprocessed proteins. ect it's easier to keep track of your macros if you get mainly decent food.

Mabey throw in some cardio too.

those who claim to gain extreme amounts of mass really aren't gaining that much muscle. mostly fat and water.

if you continue to gain weight after following this. you have a few things to look at.

1. are you gaining muscle at all? or 100% fat? you may have hormone issues, or other issues with your bodily functions.
2. are you working out effectively?
3. are you calculating your calories incorrectly? a lot of the advice out there is for "hardgainers" who can't eat enough to gain mass
4. do you drink too much alcohol?
5. are you consuming too much sodium? this may lead to water gain
6. have you added your calories too quickly? your body may be gaining water due to the fact you have added extra calories too rapidly.

cadiz
05-12-2012, 05:55 AM
Squats and deadlifts. Systemic static exercises like these munipulate your hormones for improved muscle growth. Use low reps and high weight and take only a one to one and a half minutes between sets. Your body cannot converty glycogen to glucose quickly enough and it resorts to anaerobic metabolism. This causes a build up a lactic acid which slightly lowers the blood pH and triggers a natural feedback mechanism by your body causing the anterior pituitary gland to release Growth Hormone and the testies to release testosterone. Just make sure you have proper form for these types of lifts or you will injury yourself. Here is a video on proper form for the dead lift:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=112127931

AlphaAfrican
05-12-2012, 06:00 AM
try eating lower calories. try about 100 - 200 calories above maintenance as opposed to 500 cals. make sure u hit the gym and train hard and eat plenty of healthy goods to minimise fat gains good luck brah

WonderPug
05-12-2012, 06:02 AM
try eating lower calories. try about 100 - 200 calories above maintenance as opposed to 500 cals. make sure u hit the gym and train hard and eat plenty of healthy goods to minimise fat gains good luck brahWhat nonsense.

Kagina
05-12-2012, 06:26 AM
What nonsense.

true dat

mattypoole
05-12-2012, 06:32 AM
I am trying to gain mass. I am eating quite a lot as well as lifting quite a lot. It seems though that whenever I eat, the food is not going to my muscles to rebuild them and make them bigger, and instead the food is going to my belly and is being stored as fat to give me a bigger stomach. How do I change this and stop this from happening?

WTF @ all those responses except for that of psychodiver9, WonderPug & Kagina.

Start with the basics.

Are you working off a basic figure regarding calorie intake, and do you have a macro nutrient target?

whufcwesthamuni
05-12-2012, 06:39 AM

Start with the basics.

Are you working off a basic figure regarding calorie intake, and do you have a macro nutrient target?

I am not going to lie hear but I don't really follow a structured weight lifting schedule or structured diet plan. I am quite a busy person so I don't have a plan (eg monday go to the gym and do this, tuesday do that, wednesday this etc). I just go when I have the time (usually twice a week or so but other weeks I may be able to go 5 or 6 times). When I do go, I just make sure I work out muscles I have not worked out for a while, as well as working out muscles that work together (chest and triceps, back and biceps etc).

I also don't follow a diet plan. I don't calculate how much protein, carbs, fat etc I am getting. However I make sure I eat 'good' foods but don't really check the amount I am eating. Eg today I had some Weetabix for breakfast, a banana, then went to the gym, then after the gym I had a glass of semi skimmed milk, a slice of chicken, a slice of brown bread (toasted) with peanut butter on it etc. I then will have an egg or two for dinner, maybe have some kidney beans etc. So basically I eat good food which often contain lean protein and other foods that are good to eat before/after the gym. I also make sure that I eat 'more than usual' after a gym day - however I do not count and work out exactly if I am eating 500 calories more than I would normally.

Flex500
05-12-2012, 06:56 AM
I am not going to lie hear but I don't really follow a structured weight lifting schedule or structured diet plan. I am quite a busy person so I don't have a plan (eg monday go to the gym and do this, tuesday do that, wednesday this etc). I just go when I have the time (usually twice a week or so but other weeks I may be able to go 5 or 6 times). When I do go, I just make sure I work out muscles I have not worked out for a while, as well as working out muscles that work together (chest and triceps, back and biceps etc).

I also don't follow a diet plan. I don't calculate how much protein, carbs, fat etc I am getting. However I make sure I eat 'good' foods but don't really check the amount I am eating. Eg today I had some Weetabix for breakfast, a banana, then went to the gym, then after the gym I had a glass of semi skimmed milk, a slice of chicken, a slice of brown bread (toasted) with peanut butter on it etc. I then will have an egg or two for dinner, maybe have some kidney beans etc. So basically I eat good food which often contain lean protein and other foods that are good to eat before/after the gym. I also make sure that I eat 'more than usual' after a gym day - however I do not count and work out exactly if I am eating 500 calories more than I would normally.

well in a nutshell if you are gaining too much fat you're eating too much there is no way around it. Add some cardio in, eat less whatever you want but you are eating too much.

I get it, you're 17 and probably busy but you don't need a set laid out plan you just need to track things. I care how busy you are I'm working over 60 hours a week and the last 7 days I was in san diego, phoenix, and atlanta for work and I tracked everything. I ate different stuff everday but I tracked it. For instance I needed 4,000 calories and 300 grams of protein. I made sure I hit the 300 and made sure I did not go over teh 4,000. An approach like that would probably be beneficial to you that way you don't have to have a laid out "diet plan" or really even track carbs or fat.

The problem is in this "sport" or endavor or whatever results just don't happen. People don't accidentally end up walking around lean and muscular and a great physique. It doesn't work really to just haphazardly go the gym and lift and eat and boom you lose fat and gain muscle. Some with good genetics who are exceptionally active can pull this offl...most others cannot.

If you keep on your path now you will keep adding fat...just no way around it.

mattypoole
05-12-2012, 07:14 AM
I am not going to lie hear but I don't really follow a structured weight lifting schedule or structured diet plan. I am quite a busy person so I don't have a plan (eg monday go to the gym and do this, tuesday do that, wednesday this etc).

I also don't follow a diet plan. I don't calculate how much protein, carbs, fat etc I am getting. However I make sure I eat 'good' foods but don't really check the amount I am eating.

Mate, with all respect due it's not good enough.

You have two choices:

1. Just do 'whatever' like you are now. You're eating more than you're burning and will continue to put on fat unless you change your approach.

2. Take the time to understand it. We can all make excuses, but if we're serious about our goals we take the time to work through the details. This approach will determine whether or not you make at least some progress.

Flex500 has offered some great advice, please listen to it.

thegymbum
05-12-2012, 07:23 AM
How fast are you gaining? The faster you gain, the more tends to be fat mass. If you gain a lot slower and train really hard, you can put on more lean body mass, which of course is less likely to accumulate in the middle. I've found that patience is important too, I've had the same issue while bulking but after reaching a target weight and maintaining, the waist tends to go down. But like I've found for myself, myself, there's probably a big genetic component that's gonna screw you over a little bit...

WonderPug
05-12-2012, 07:26 AM
It seems though that whenever I eat, the food is not going to my muscles to rebuild them and make them bigger, and instead the food is going to my belly and is being stored as fat to give me a bigger stomach.Perhaps you're pregnant.

psychodiver9
05-12-2012, 08:31 AM

Start with the basics.

"true dat" is a quality post?

whufcwesthamuni
05-12-2012, 10:32 AM
well in a nutshell if you are gaining too much fat you're eating too much there is no way around it. Add some cardio in, eat less whatever you want but you are eating too much.

I get it, you're 17 and probably busy but you don't need a set laid out plan you just need to track things. I care how busy you are I'm working over 60 hours a week and the last 7 days I was in san diego, phoenix, and atlanta for work and I tracked everything. I ate different stuff everday but I tracked it. For instance I needed 4,000 calories and 300 grams of protein. I made sure I hit the 300 and made sure I did not go over teh 4,000. An approach like that would probably be beneficial to you that way you don't have to have a laid out "diet plan" or really even track carbs or fat.

The problem is in this "sport" or endavor or whatever results just don't happen. People don't accidentally end up walking around lean and muscular and a great physique. It doesn't work really to just haphazardly go the gym and lift and eat and boom you lose fat and gain muscle. Some with good genetics who are exceptionally active can pull this offl...most others cannot.

If you keep on your path now you will keep adding fat...just no way around it.

Ok.... I am going to try and keep a record of what I am eating from now on. The thing is though, I have no idea how much I need to eat (and in what quantities I need to eat protein, carbs, fat etc)