PDA

View Full Version : IIFYM with an eating disorder

masterb403
05-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Having some great sustained success cutting over the span of a year or so (around 80 lbs down so far from 360). I am a legitimate food addict, and am not afraid to admit it. I've discovered a lot of freedom in the concepts of IIFYM, as well as IF... but am wondering if i'm alone in finding that certain foods are better left completely out of ones life? I notice that when I squeeze in 2, 3, or even 6 oreos in the day, I get away with it for a few hours... but then go back and finish the pack later that evening in an uncontrollable frenzy. This isn't hunger or craving, it's complete autopilot eating (I suspect only a few of you will really know what I'm talking about here).

Anyone else made a solid commitment to simply ban "junk" foods from your life? I understand the word "junk" is extremely subjective, but I've had much greater dietary compliance by treating "junk" the same as an alcoholic would treat a bottle of Jack, and simply committing to never eat it again. Obviously there will be trip-ups here and there, but I seem to be completely unable to compromise on processed, sugary foods. Am I alone in being unable to compromise on such things?

joeturner
05-05-2012, 05:52 PM
master, i have the same problem

i dropped 300lbs by doing a VLC diet and NEVER touching certain foods again
for me it was never sweets, it was cheesesteaks/pizza and itilan food
i could NAIL an entire plate of motz sticks + 18inch (yes 18inch) cheesesteak for LUNCH ...
or like 4 McDoubles from Mcd's
or an entire CASE of Mt Dew on D&D night with my freinds

i was good for like 2 years.
then i started to 'maintain' my weight. and begin around 'normal' eaters is hard. VERY hard
now a days i crave sweets. brownies, cookies, anything peanut butter releated, breads, carbs...

PB is my pure weekness. Brah's, no lie, i will KILL a jar of Skippy in 2 days, left un attended. Spooon full at a time... dont even bother with the bread, i grew up in a PB house, my dad LOVES the shAT

night time seems to be the worse for me, as far as uncontrolled things go

heres one for you... ive even "sneaked" food out of the trash before. Parents thow away 2 slices pizza, after offering it to me, i of course say "no" because i've hit my macros for the day, and dont want to look like a 'fat ass' for eating pizza. they go go bed, i NAIL those two slices out of the trash...thats bad LOL

over all though im not doing to bad

here is 1 tip that has helped me. Before bed, i mix up 1 scoup whey shake with water and keep in in my bathroom. Every night the cravings hit when i get up to pee. if i have the shake by my toilet, i swig some and go back to bed. seems to work for me

i get up, work out, and eat my large IF IIFYM meal....

hang in there, diet is a life long thing, don't be to hard on yourself. eat some things you want.

masterb403
05-05-2012, 05:59 PM

i could NAIL an entire plate of motz sticks + 18inch (yes 18inch) cheesesteak for LUNCH ...

then i started to 'maintain' my weight. and begin around 'normal' eaters is hard. VERY hard
now a days i crave sweets. brownies, cookies, anything peanut butter releated, breads, carbs...

PB is my pure weekness. Brah's, no lie, i will KILL a jar of Skippy in 2 days, left un attended. Spooon full at a time... dont even bother with the bread, i grew up in a PB house, my dad LOVES the shAT

heres one for you... ive even "sneaked" food out of the trash before. Parents thow away 2 slices pizza, after offering it to me, i of course say "no" because i've hit my macros for the day, and dont want to look like a 'fat ass' for eating pizza. they go go bed, i NAIL those two slices out of the trash...thats bad LOL

here is 1 tip that has helped me. Before bed, i mix up 1 scoup whey shake with water and keep in in my bathroom. Every night the cravings hit when i get up to pee. if i have the shake by my toilet, i swig some and go back to bed. seems to work for me

hang in there, diet is a life long thing, don't be to hard on yourself. eat some things you want.

Awesome reply. Glad to know I'm not alone. Some of the meal tendencies you listed brought back some serious memories. My old go-to meal was a Large dominoes pizza, a batch of cinnastix, and a 2 litre of coke. Then a trip to 7-11 for some sweets about 3 hours later. Of course, I couldn't do this every night... Whopper Wednesday!! Cheap whoppers at Burger King! So, that means 3 whoppers with cheese, a large fries, and a desert.

I'm also happy to see you're a fellow geek! My gaming days were some of my darkest. Days and days of Counter-strike and WoW benders. Diablo 2 also, when I was much younger.

Night time is also when I fail, I rarely have any issues with compliance during the day. I'm a rockstar up until 6 pm. Some of the bad days, I literally sit there with my hands together under my chin, rocking back and forth, digging for an excuse to cheat. I actually get heart palputations, and dizziness in anticipation of sugar... this **** is hard-wired into my brain.

The food sneaking thing reminded me of new years a couple years ago... A friend offered me a cupcake, and I said no. After 3 beers, I snuck into the kitchen and ate 3 of them with noone looking.

I like your protein idea... as a matter of fact, I do the same thing as it was a suggestion Jim Wendler made in one of his articles. His rule is "if you have a craving, force yourself to take a protein shake first, then if you still want it, go for it". It certainly hasnt curbed all binges, but i'm sure it's saved me from a few.

Anyways, thanks for the honest reply, and keep up the great work.

hilltopper1993
05-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Most people have one comfort food at least. I wouldn't call that an eating disorder because realizing your weakness and adapting your habits to face it mean you have dealt with it and don't allow it to mess you up.

Now, as long as you've found your way to not binge/kill that food and stick to it, you are good.

I know, for myself, bakery goods can't be eaten in moderation. Donuts, cake, pie, just can't do it. So I have adapted my habits and life to not have them around.

I can ignore them and do fine, but the first time one hits my mouth, its done. So I just don't eat them and try to not have them in the house. Works for me.

rand18m
05-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Having some great sustained success cutting over the span of a year or so (around 80 lbs down so far from 360). I am a legitimate food addict, and am not afraid to admit it. I've discovered a lot of freedom in the concepts of IIFYM, as well as IF... but am wondering if i'm alone in finding that certain foods are better left completely out of ones life? I notice that when I squeeze in 2, 3, or even 6 oreos in the day, I get away with it for a few hours... but then go back and finish the pack later that evening in an uncontrollable frenzy. This isn't hunger or craving, it's complete autopilot eating (I suspect only a few of you will really know what I'm talking about here).

Anyone else made a solid commitment to simply ban "junk" foods from your life? I understand the word "junk" is extremely subjective, but I've had much greater dietary compliance by treating "junk" the same as an alcoholic would treat a bottle of Jack, and simply committing to never eat it again. Obviously there will be trip-ups here and there, but I seem to be completely unable to compromise on processed, sugary foods. Am I alone in being unable to compromise on such things?

CONGRATULATIONS to both of you, what an accomplishment!! WOW, I can't imagine how hard it is and don't want to know! However, you have support here for whatever we can offer!

I assure you when you reach your goals and you cut the throat of this dragon you have, it'll be worth it. We all have our dragons, some figure them out and cut their throats, many go through life and never do, stuck in misery. I commend you both for attacking your dragon!!!

Good Luck!!! You two are young and have a long and exciting life ahead, awesome!!!

hilltopper1993
05-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Disregard everything I just said. Your sitting there rocking back and forth dreaming of binging and getting dizzy sugar boners is a full blown unsustainable eating disorder. Go see a doctor, you are probably screwed without some help.

Sorry to be so blunt, but sometimes a hard smack of reality is just what you need to get everything right.

Good luck man.

***also, great progress so far guys. No sarcasm. Look at your gains, look at your goal, then look at your habits and the advice above.

mattypoole
05-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Most people have one comfort food at least. I wouldn't call that an eating disorder because realizing your weakness and adapting your habits to face it mean you have dealt with it and don't allow it to mess you up.

Now, as long as you've found your way to not binge/kill that food and stick to it, you are good.

I know, for myself, bakery goods can't be eaten in moderation. Donuts, cake, pie, just can't do it. So I have adapted my habits and life to not have them around.

I can ignore them and do fine, but the first time one hits my mouth, its done. So I just don't eat them and try to not have them in the house. Works for me.

I used to do this and it worked well for a long time (I think it's a great start, and well done by the way).

Nowadays, however, I can have things in the house and exercise self control because I've used an IIFYM principle so I'm not arbitrarily excluding any foods. It'll take time, but you need to change your relationship with certain foods and attitude towards eating/nutrition overall.

It takes time, but it sounds like you're on the right track.

masterb403
05-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Disregard everything I just said. Your sitting there rocking back and forth dreaming of binging and getting dizzy sugar boners is a full blown unsustainable eating disorder. Go see a doctor, you are probably screwed without some help.

Sorry to be so blunt, but sometimes a hard smack of reality is just what you need to get everything right.

Good luck man.

***also, great progress so far guys. No sarcasm. Look at your gains, look at your goal, then look at your habits and the advice above.

I've seen a psychiatrist, there's really nothing she could offer me other than a really expensive therapist and some anti depressants. In other words, i'm on my own! She feels I have a disorder, and when I go over the "eating disorder check-lists" online, I don't nod at one or two of the quesitons... I nod at all of them. I just have a terrible relationship with food since I was a kid. But anyways, you're right, a good smack is what I need indeed. Thanks for all the support everyone, it's good to know that i'm not alone and other people struggle with this as well (hope that doesn't sound bad, lol:))

masterb403
05-05-2012, 07:47 PM
CONGRATULATIONS to both of you, what an accomplishment!! WOW, I can't imagine how hard it is and don't want to know! However, you have support here for whatever we can offer!

I assure you when you reach your goals and you cut the throat of this dragon you have, it'll be worth it. We all have our dragons, some figure them out and cut their throats, many go through life and never do, stuck in misery. I commend you both for attacking your dragon!!!

Good Luck!!! You two are young and have a long and exciting life ahead, awesome!!!

Very considerate of you to say, and thank you very much!

hilltopper1993
05-05-2012, 08:18 PM
I used to do this and it worked well for a long time (I think it's a great start, and well done by the way).

Nowadays, however, I can have things in the house and exercise self control because I've used an IIFYM principle so I'm not arbitrarily excluding any foods. It'll take time, but you need to change your relationship with certain foods and attitude towards eating/nutrition overall.

It takes time, but it sounds like you're on the right track.

Thank you, I do IIFYM too. Its a life saver. I enjoy ice cream and chocolate every day! but those darn bakery goods.... lol

We almost always have them in the house now, and I just ignore them. The real problem is when im out and have some pastery shoved in my face! haha

hilltopper1993
05-05-2012, 08:19 PM
I've seen a psychiatrist, there's really nothing she could offer me other than a really expensive therapist and some anti depressants. In other words, i'm on my own! She feels I have a disorder, and when I go over the "eating disorder check-lists" online, I don't nod at one or two of the quesitons... I nod at all of them. I just have a terrible relationship with food since I was a kid. But anyways, you're right, a good smack is what I need indeed. Thanks for all the support everyone, it's good to know that i'm not alone and other people struggle with this as well (hope that doesn't sound bad, lol:))

Trust me, I LOVE food too. Im lucky enough to maintain/ gain 1/4 lb every week and a half on 3800-4000 calories.

Once you reach your goals or start getting closer, you'll get it all down.

BlackHeart.au
05-06-2012, 04:30 AM
Man... I feel your pain... Had "BED" for 6 years. And every so often it can still strike.

alex2363
05-06-2012, 05:28 AM
I go crazy over carrot cakes and cocnut cream pies every few months, but after i go insane for sat and sun, on monday i get back to my macros/iifym and stay focused....just dont binge for more than 1 or days, thats all.

phrazel
05-06-2012, 05:37 AM
Awesome reply. Glad to know I'm not alone. Some of the meal tendencies you listed brought back some serious memories. My old go-to meal was a Large dominoes pizza, a batch of cinnastix, and a 2 litre of coke. Then a trip to 7-11 for some sweets about 3 hours later. Of course, I couldn't do this every night... Whopper Wednesday!! Cheap whoppers at Burger King! So, that means 3 whoppers with cheese, a large fries, and a desert.

I'm also happy to see you're a fellow geek! My gaming days were some of my darkest. Days and days of Counter-strike and WoW benders. Diablo 2 also, when I was much younger.

Night time is also when I fail, I rarely have any issues with compliance during the day. I'm a rockstar up until 6 pm. Some of the bad days, I literally sit there with my hands together under my chin, rocking back and forth, digging for an excuse to cheat. I actually get heart palputations, and dizziness in anticipation of sugar... this **** is hard-wired into my brain.

The food sneaking thing reminded me of new years a couple years ago... A friend offered me a cupcake, and I said no. After 3 beers, I snuck into the kitchen and ate 3 of them with noone looking.

I like your protein idea... as a matter of fact, I do the same thing as it was a suggestion Jim Wendler made in one of his articles. His rule is "if you have a craving, force yourself to take a protein shake first, then if you still want it, go for it". It certainly hasnt curbed all binges, but i'm sure it's saved me from a few.

Anyways, thanks for the honest reply, and keep up the great work.I know just how you feel, really. I am amazing up until ~7:00 at night, then I go downhill. I normally have a bowl of cereal and try and call it quits. Sadly most of the time it is the beginning. Like the other poster I do the peanut butter thing too, spoon after spoon.
Like you said the eating is pure autopilot, one part of you is like OMG wft are you doing..STOP. Sadly the the autopilot has already taken over and there is no stopping him. I literally have to force myself out of the kitchen some nights and I hate it! I try and do peanut butter nights only 2 times a week as a treat but is always does not work out that way.

Cwoyto
05-06-2012, 08:09 AM
**** is this?
Everyone likes cake and sweets LOL, just some chose not to be irresponsible ****s and down a pack of oreos?

Not trollin but srsly take responsiblity and don't blame it on a food addiction cause everyone likes ****ing sweets and **** too.
Pisses me off.

rand18m
05-06-2012, 08:12 AM
**** is this?
Everyone likes cake and sweets LOL, just some chose not to be irresponsible ****s and down a pack of oreos?

Not trollin but srsly take responsiblity and don't blame it on a food addiction cause everyone likes ****ing sweets and **** too.
Pisses me off.

You have no idea what you are talking about so I suggest you take this type of vitriol with you when you leave!

kharfan97
05-06-2012, 08:44 AM
You have no idea what you are talking about so I suggest you take this type of vitriol with you when you leave! this. I to have an eating disorder at 15 I managed to cut down from 264 I'm at 189 now and starting a bulk, for me it was cereal , like you guys I couldn't control it ! At some point instead of just eating the peanut butter I'd put it in my cereal with bananas , I feel your pain guys

masterb403
05-06-2012, 12:02 PM
**** is this?

Pisses me off.

It was just a matter of time until someone posted something like this. I'm happy there were enough posts prior to cushion someone posting something this silly. I respect your opinion but, you really don't know what you're talking about :( Thanks for the input regardless. I'm am envious of your position.

twinmusclework
05-06-2012, 12:40 PM
eating disorder? no such thing imo for most. Lack of control? yes. The body can usually overpower the will of the mind and i hate to say it but i have a weak mind, always craving foods. I had what you would call an eating disorder. Just found it hard to stop eating the foods i liked. Certain things helped me

1. not shopping when i was hungry(if i saw a B&J deal i could easilly add and clear a few tubs)
2. i did what joeturner did but instead of a protein shake i had low calorie snacks placed around the house so whenever i got hungry just gorged on those
3. tried to eliminate certain foods from my diet but the cravings would just come with a vengance. I have pizza a few times a week now, but with low fat cheese and chicken breast. Satisfies my pizza cravings like a charm and i fit it into my diet

Theres not point trying to fight what your body is craving forever sooner or later youll give in, and the resulting binge will be catastrophic. You have to find an equilibrium where both your cravings satisfaction and your dietary requirements are met. Good luck!

Xhale12
05-06-2012, 12:57 PM
I dealt with this and still do to some extent. I was never fat, I was the opposite. At my lowest I was about 135lbs. I would binge like a madman. I'm talking about 20k cal days. Then I would starve myself for 4-5days. Then I would binge again, starve again...... and the cycle continued for quite some time. I still have an unhealthy relationship with food but things have gotten MUCH better. Keep fighting the good fight and you'll get through it. Find other hobbies/joys outside of food.

NewDude92
05-06-2012, 01:18 PM
**** is this?

Pisses me off.

Lewl. Brain chemistry is a factor when talking about eating disorders. It's like saying "how can someone have anxiety?" from someone who doesn't get/have it, or "how can someone get depressed?" from someone who's never dealt with depression.

masterb403
05-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Lewl. Brain chemistry is a factor when talking about eating disorders. It's like saying "how can someone have anxiety?" from someone who doesn't get/have it, or "how can someone get depressed?" from someone who's never dealt with depression.

This is absolutely true. I remember joking to myself when I was around 17 years old whenever I heard someone having an 'anxiety attack', thinking it was just them being nervous. When I started getting the first (and worst) anxiety attacks of my life, seeing how physically crippling and completely overwhelming they are, it really opened my eyes as to the kind of things people live with on a daily basis. If you were anything like me, you have to sort of experience a problem before you can begin to understand it. Which is why I try not to get too upset with people who don't get it... because, well, they don't get it! :) :P