PDA

View Full Version : Is this a healthy burrito bowl?

WillNotStop
05-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Ok, so there is a local burrito place that makes mexican food, I don't eat the regular burritos or taco, because I am trying to lose fat and build a little bit of muscle, my goal is to just become lean with a visible six pack and muscles, not to be huge. I am already 5'11'' and 185 pounds and about 15% body fat. Anyways This is what my burrito bowl consists of :
Black beans
white rice
grilled chicken
pico de gallo
green chile salsa
lettuce

and that is basically it, I have been told that I should just add sour cream and cheese because I am already kind of close to my goal, so i can afford to basically cheat day in day out, but I am a bit worried, so I just leave it out.

HulkSmash36
05-01-2012, 02:55 PM
check online and see if they have a nutrition section of their website. if not eyeball and add the nutrition together yourself. toss in an extra 100 cals to be safe.

SwiftyX
05-01-2012, 02:57 PM
A burrito bowl will make your muscles too huge too fast. Watch out.

MITCHAPAL00ZA
05-01-2012, 02:59 PM
depends on quantity of ingredients and daily macro goals!

WonderPug
05-01-2012, 03:01 PM
The names of the foods you eat do not determine if a meal, let alone your entire diet, is healthy or not. Rather, it's the calibration of caloric intake to energy expenditure and micro/macronutrient sufficiency that govern.

WillNotStop
05-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Guys, I meant as an overall meal, should I feel guilty for eating this during lunch time, when I'm forced to just eat something quickly.

WonderPug
05-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Guys, I meant as an overall meal, should I feel guilty for eating this during lunch time, when I'm forced to just eat something quickly.You don't seem to understand. The names of the foods you eat do not determine if a meal, let alone your entire diet, is beneficial or not. Rather, it's the calibration of total daily caloric intake to energy expenditure and micro/macronutrient sufficiency that govern.

WillNotStop
05-01-2012, 03:41 PM
You don't seem to understand. The names of the foods you eat do not determine if a meal, let alone your entire diet, is beneficial or not. Rather, it's the calibration of total daily caloric intake to energy expenditure and micro/macronutrient sufficiency that govern.

So for example, you mean that if guy A eats a burrito bowl for lunch and he lifts weights 3 times a week and does cardio, that meal would technically be "healthier" than if guy B eats a burrito bowl but doesn't work out?
I'm new to this, sorry if I don't get it.

WonderPug
05-01-2012, 03:42 PM
^ You need to at least learn the basics about nutrition and thus I urge you to read:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136691851

JHarden
05-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Guys, I meant as an overall meal, should I feel guilty for eating this during lunch time, when I'm forced to just eat something quickly.

You shouldn't feel guilty about eating anything ever.

emanfitness
05-01-2012, 04:01 PM
So for example, you mean that if guy A eats a burrito bowl for lunch and he lifts weights 3 times a week and does cardio, that meal would technically be "healthier" than if guy B eats a burrito bowl but doesn't work out?

both guys would be alright and just as healthy as long as they don't go over their overall macronutrient and caloric intake.

CockasaurusPecs
05-01-2012, 04:02 PM
The names of foods, without (at the very least) quantities, do not tell us the amount of protein, fat, carbohydrates in them or the total amount of calories. Because of that, we cannot give you any advice on whether or not it is healthy. Further, we don't know your goals (cutting, bulking, etc.) so even more we can't give you an answer. Click the links above and educate yourself.

Kadisha
05-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Listen man,

Guys over here are tired of repeating this over and over again, and I don't blame them really. Every few days some one new registers and doesn't bother to read any of the stickies and threads and then poses a question like yours. Nothing against you, but it's just how it is. I'm going to try to make it as simple as possible for you.

Eating quality foods is always a good idea. There's going to be a difference to a certain extent in how full you fee for example, or on the micro-nutrient level (vitamins, etc) However, everything you eat has calories in it. If you eat a piece of chicken that puts you over the amount of calories you spend per day you're going to gain weight. That doesn't matter if it's grilled, boiled, fried, or raw.

If you need a clearer explanation just read the stickies. I use to be a lot like you, and think if I ate brown rice over white rice I wouldn't gain weight. Boy was I wrong. Try to calculate your calorie intake, and you'll see what I'm talking about. You could easily be eating 3k calories and not even know it. I'm not going to lie man, I've got a big appetite and watching the calories in what I eat helps me out a lot.

headshot84
05-01-2012, 04:08 PM

Read those stickies he linked to you. Basically in laymans terms as long as you are maintaining your macros (Which will be explained in those stickies/articles )on a "daily" basis with consideration in regards to micronutrients you will do good. That's why you will see people posting meals they are eating that uninformed people would consider "unhealthy" or "bad" to eat.

WillNotStop
05-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Wow, I gotta be honest this seems like a lot of work, my goal is just to shed about 12 pounds of fat and gain 7 or 8 pounds of muscle, would I still be sticking to such strict guidelines like you people ( no discrimination intended :P)

WonderPug
05-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Wow, I gotta be honest this seems like a lot of work, my goal is just to shed about 12 pounds of fat and gain 7 or 8 pounds of muscle, would I still be sticking to such strict guidelines like you people ( no discrimination intended :P)I don't think this whole fitness thing is for you. It's too much work.

headshot84
05-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Wow, I gotta be honest this seems like a lot of work, my goal is just to shed about 12 pounds of fat and gain 7 or 8 pounds of muscle, would I still be sticking to such strict guidelines like you people ( no discrimination intended :P)

Dude the point is that you don't have to be "strict" at all with your food, only mindful of your choices so that you hit your daily goals (macros)

*Also strong username to post content

WillNotStop
05-01-2012, 04:23 PM
I don't think this whole fitness thing is for you. It's too much work.

I sense a bit of sarcasm? But seriously, for the past 6 years I have been trying to stick to a workout plan and diet, but after about a week when the weekend arrives and I indulge in my fastfood craving, I just convince myself there is no use. I am really weak mentally. But there is no way in hell I am quitting this time. I have been going at it for 2 weeks now and I lost a pound and I can notice my body getting sort of stiffer and fit.

headshot84
05-01-2012, 04:26 PM
I sense a bit of sarcasm? But seriously, for the past 6 years I have been trying to stick to a workout plan and diet, but after about a week when the weekend arrives and I indulge in my fastfood craving, I just convince myself there is no use. I am really weak mentally. But there is no way in hell I am quitting this time. I have been going at it for 2 weeks now and I lost a pound and I can notice my body getting sort of stiffer and fit.

Best thing you can do is absorb a lot of information from the more experienced users (notme) on here and read those stickes !!!!!

FitnessCPA
05-01-2012, 04:31 PM

If you'd read the stickies, you'd know that indulging in a fast food craving is not necessarily a bad thing at all.

But, by all means, keep doing what you're doing. Don't bother making things easier for yourself by reading and learning.

WillNotStop
05-01-2012, 04:35 PM
If you'd read the stickies, you'd know that indulging in a fast food craving is not necessarily a bad thing at all.

But, by all means, keep doing what you're doing. Don't bother making things easier for yourself by reading and learning.

What sticky would that be in?

SwiftyX
05-01-2012, 04:37 PM

So with this you see no reason to spend the time to learn a bit? Read the stickies, set yourself up a satisfying diet, track what you eat so you know you are on the right path, hit the gym.....greatness ensues.

GetFit10
05-01-2012, 07:25 PM
What sticky would that be in?
Read them and find out.