PDA

View Full Version : How to cut fat while training for running - how many carbs?

DM99
05-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Hi everyone, I have searched a lot for the answer to this but can't find anything, I guess I'm in an uncommon situation.

I'm training for military and need to get quicker at running and bodyweight calisthenics for selection course. So basically atm I'm running 20-30 miles per week and doing calisthenics 3-4 times. I'm still lifting once per week but have cut this down so I'm not over training.

Currently I'm 198-200lbs, 6ft 1 @ 12-13% bodyfat, would like to get down to about 185lbs @ 8%.

Now, how to do this? I need extra carbs to keep my running performance up but I also want to lean out. How many carbs should I be eating?

Currently trying to eat macros of 155g carbs, 155g protein and 90g fat per day, but then after runs (between 6-8 miles usually) taking a shake of ~100g carbs, 25g protein to replace glycogen (this is on top of macros previously listed). Is this too many carbs? Should I eat less carbs during the day when I have this PWO shake?

I am a pretty typical mesomorph and reasonably muscular, don't mind losing a bit of muscular bodyweight but not too much.

Thanks for any advice!

germaine07
05-01-2012, 10:48 AM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Azrairc
05-01-2012, 10:49 AM
calisthenics and over training is a oxymoron

read this sticky to learn all the info you need to start

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

DM99
05-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks, read that, I worked it out and got pretty much the same macros I'm eating now. So should I eat more carbs on days that I run? Should I take the majority of carbs in after training and cut them in half the rest of the time?

Azrairc
05-01-2012, 11:55 AM
Thanks, read that, I worked it out and got pretty much the same macros I'm eating now. So should I eat more carbs on days that I run? Should I take the majority of carbs in after training and cut them in half the rest of the time?

after you hit your fat and protein its personal preference on what to use the rest of your calories on as far as macros, carbs are not essential and your body can convert fat to glucose.

nutrient timing is also personal preference, just eat it in a 24 hour time frame. plenty of people train fasted and ketoer's eat less than 50g of carbs a day

RunThenRunMore
05-01-2012, 12:53 PM
My general rule is that I assume that I burn 100 calories a mile...May not be very accurate but it has been my guideline for maintaining weight while running.

michaels22
05-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Hi everyone, I have searched a lot for the answer to this but can't find anything, I guess I'm in an uncommon situation.

I'm training for military and need to get quicker at running and bodyweight calisthenics for selection course. So basically atm I'm running 20-30 miles per week and doing calisthenics 3-4 times. I'm still lifting once per week but have cut this down so I'm not over training.

Currently I'm 198-200lbs, 6ft 1 @ 12-13% bodyfat, would like to get down to about 185lbs @ 8%.

Now, how to do this? I need extra carbs to keep my running performance up but I also want to lean out. How many carbs should I be eating?

Currently trying to eat macros of 155g carbs, 155g protein and 90g fat per day, but then after runs (between 6-8 miles usually) taking a shake of ~100g carbs, 25g protein to replace glycogen (this is on top of macros previously listed). Is this too many carbs? Should I eat less carbs during the day when I have this PWO shake?

I am a pretty typical mesomorph and reasonably muscular, don't mind losing a bit of muscular bodyweight but not too much.

Thanks for any advice!

Some people run better with a lot of carbs, some feel quite lethargic.

Personally, I eat 45-60% of my calories from carbs, and go lower on fat the days up to and on heavy endurance days. You seem to be undereating quite a bit though, which coupled with low carbs and high endurance training can lead to CNS fatigue, depressed feelings, and an overall glum attitude. You may want to switch up to 2500-2700 calories or so.

Just some ideas.

DM99
05-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Right okay thanks for your replies. So...something like 220g carbs, 160g protein, 100g fats should work, I'll see how that goes and readjust.

Would carb cycling help, do you think? As in maybe taking in 300g high carb days (running days) and 100g or something on low carb days?

Also out of the 220g or so grams would it be best to take 100g or so post workout to replace glycogen, then the rest of the 120g over the rest of the day? Or to treat that 110g as extra so I'm consuming 320g total on running days.

DM99
05-01-2012, 01:21 PM
My general rule is that I assume that I burn 100 calories a mile...May not be very accurate but it has been my guideline for maintaining weight while running.
I usually figure about 100g of carbs per hour burnt...my HRM tells me I burn about 1000 cals per hour at a steady run (I have very high HR for given effort and am reasonably large) but I think that's a bit on the high side.

I have been just adding these 100g to my carb total for the day so 150g becomes 250g is this the correct way of doing it or should I include it and only eat 50g the rest of the day??

Azrairc
05-01-2012, 01:36 PM

pretty accurate, bust your ass for a mile and only burn 100 calories