PDA

View Full Version : running for an hour on the treadmill

LuisC82787
04-28-2012, 07:36 AM
will it hurt my muscle growth? i know a stupid question but i am just wondering.

jolanar1
04-28-2012, 07:49 AM
Search function is your friend.

grubby7
04-28-2012, 07:51 AM
I highly doubt it, but better to stick to more regular 30 mins sessions

LuisC82787
04-28-2012, 08:19 AM
I highly doubt it, but better to stick to more regular 30 mins sessions seems like i dont get as much in 30 mins on the treadmill.

ThousandEyes
04-28-2012, 09:13 AM
if you're still in a caloric surplus at the end of the day, no.

if not, yes.

alexanderbrown1
04-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Try running outdoor its much better for your muscles and much better for your Health

krete77
04-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Try running outdoor its much better for your muscles and much better for your Health

I second this part about running outdoors. Don't know for a FACT if its better for your health, but I would imagine so since your getting FRESH air.

snorkelman
04-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Try running outdoor its much better for your muscles ...

How so?

stingray72
04-28-2012, 01:36 PM
Its just like lifting if your over training then thats bad. Same goes for cardio if your feeling run down at the level your going then its too much. Bottom line listen to your body.

alexanderbrown1
04-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Treadmill Running Pros:

No weather, temperature, or terrain issues.
Can stop anytime you need or want.
Can workout while watching tv if you like.
Smooth, cushioned surface is easier on the joints .
No concerns about personal safety.

Outdoor Running Pros:
You can run anywhere.
It's much more functional for daily activities.
You get to enjoy the scenery, get fresh air, notice changing seasons, weather, and enjoy nature.
It's generally more challenging and you expend more calories.
It's likely more motivating. You must complete a distance goal and can't just stop & get off.
Most people report a greater feeling of accomplishment running outside.
You can take new routes and see something new everyday.

alexanderbrown1
04-28-2012, 03:12 PM
How so?

Everything that is natural is better physically, not just for the muscles, i am telling you this from experience, practiced basketball for over 7 years.

Shankapotamus
04-28-2012, 03:21 PM
I feel like an hour running on the treadmill would be very boring and you'd dread it all day. If you're dead-set on doing that much running, I would split it into 30 minutes outdoor on a nice route and 30 minutes indoors or outdoors(depending on weather, etc). I don't necessarily think there will be any problems you should worry about.

The split is for sanity reasons.

970Muscle
04-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Depends really, however if you are really trying to pack on the muscle, it will hinder it.

rob44023
04-28-2012, 04:44 PM
There is a big difference between using equipment like a treadmill or stairclimber vs going outside and running. Both have there places but when you are outside running you have to push your weight along rather then just lifting your leg stepping and keeping up with the belt. Outside or even on an indoor track, if you have one available, will give you a better calorie burn.

jubjubrsx
04-28-2012, 08:13 PM
I have to disagree with running outside, its probably better for you but here in the bay area(california) its dangerous, between crazy drivers and heavy air pollution here cant be good for the body.

on a side note what part of your body are you trying to grow? when i was doing ALOT of running my legs were huge, yet my upperbody was squany...so now i just run 3-4miles as a warm up then hit the weights for another 45mins. and i've found that has helped really balance out the muscle distribution.

LuisC82787
04-29-2012, 06:49 AM
Depends really, however if you are really trying to pack on the muscle, it will hinder it.
my overall goal is to loose weight and have some definition cause i am 173 now trying to get down to 148.

scotchchris
04-29-2012, 07:16 AM
if you're getting adequate protein and weight lifting you shouldnt lose muscle.

Running doesnt waste muscle away - there are plenty of muscular marathon runners (and i mean normal people, not top level athletes)

LuisC82787
04-29-2012, 07:23 AM
if you're getting adequate protein and weight lifting you shouldnt lose muscle.

Running doesnt waste muscle away - there are plenty of muscular marathon runners (and i mean normal people, not top level athletes) thanks for the advice i weight lift about 3 times a week.

ipod4444
04-29-2012, 07:39 AM
thanks for the advice i weight lift about 3 times a week.

I'm currently on a cut and trying to retain as much as possible, for me, I find running on any surface jarring on my body, I just dont find it enjoyable, at the moment I've just started an ECA cycle and I do a 10 minute warm up walk then I hit the bike for 30 minutes, that's my personal favourite but everyone's different.

But to answer the original question if your looking to lose fat then why not try fasted cardio first thing in the morning?

LuisC82787
05-01-2012, 06:57 PM
I'm currently on a cut and trying to retain as much as possible, for me, I find running on any surface jarring on my body, I just dont find it enjoyable, at the moment I've just started an ECA cycle and I do a 10 minute warm up walk then I hit the bike for 30 minutes, that's my personal favourite but everyone's different.

But to answer the original question if your looking to lose fat then why not try fasted cardio first thing in the morning? i always run on a empty stomach and now that i lossed 12 pounds im starting to see the muscle definition is that normal?

tryingtofocus
05-01-2012, 07:07 PM
I do 20 minutes of running on the treadmill and 20 on the eliptical and get a good burn on both of them. I burn about 500 calories give or take based on my weight. (I take those numbers with a grain of salt though.)

I also lift some 5 days a week and only run/eliptical 3 days and I keep building muscle, but I take in a decent amount of protein as well.

I think you will be fine. I also agree it is better running outside as it pushes you more. Then again, I can't run no where as much outside as I can on a treadmill, which means I am getting a better workout outside, lol!

I should start running outside more....

LuisC82787
05-03-2012, 11:32 AM
how many weeks does it take to start seeing results in my body 6weeks?

nhclone
05-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Regardless of any factually beneficial information hidden in here.....this was one of the hardest threads I've ever tried to read.....ever.

^^^The sooner you get started the sooner you see results;). Speed of results depends on dedication, work ethic, and starting point.

Naeem11
05-03-2012, 11:49 AM
how many weeks does it take to start seeing results in my body 6weeks?

Be patient......your body is going to fluctuate up and down, I'd say give it at least a month before you see a significant change. I am 6 weeks into my cut and have recently started seeing definition in abs/calves/back/shoulders......just gets me pumped.....I'd say 6 more weeks for me and I'm golden. Just keep at it, and as for 1 hour on treadmill, I don't think you need that much as long as you're diet is on point and you're lifting regularly.

I actually ran between 7-9mph for an hour straight yesterday just to see if I could. I normally only do 15 min 5mph cardio post-lift and 35-45min 5mph on off days and the fat has been melting. I felt great after the hour run, but I won't do it as part of my weight loss.....I just did it for fun and lulz and maybe ill do it more often if the mood strikes.

1 hour is definitely some serious pressure on the body depending on what speeds you're moving at. Instead of aiming for an hour of running, in my opinion you would be better off grabbing a soccer ball and heading toward the nearest field or a basketball and head toward the nearest court. Time will fly like nothing, you will be sweating and you will have fun at same time. In winter seasons just find indoor courts for either. Tennis is also a good one. Running straight on treadmills gets boring after awhile.

That being said, I don't think running will hurt you at all.....all the basketball players and soccer players I know run ungodly amounts per week and lift, and are insanely shredded with some of them with decent amounts of mass.

LuisC82787
05-03-2012, 01:02 PM
thanks for the update ive lossed about 12 pounds since march and im starting to see my pecs and biceps starting to shape up so maybe 6 more weeks i can see a real nice cut.

NiceLex
05-04-2012, 07:54 AM
have you tried HITT?

LuisC82787
05-04-2012, 12:19 PM
have you tried HITT? yea I've tried hitt but im not that advanced to do it yet.

NiceLex
05-05-2012, 10:11 AM
yea I've tried hitt but im not that advanced to do it yet.

okay, i dont want you to hurt yourself, but HIIT is pretty easy to do...even for a beginner. you can start "slow" (yes, oxymoron: slow and HIIT), but just try sprint/walk/sprint/walk for a while to build up your stamina, then try more advanced techniques. you can always break down advanced formulas to basic, just have to understand the technique first and what it's trying to accomplish

LuisC82787
05-05-2012, 01:56 PM
okay, i dont want you to hurt yourself, but HIIT is pretty easy to do...even for a beginner. you can start "slow" (yes, oxymoron: slow and HIIT), but just try sprint/walk/sprint/walk for a while to build up your stamina, then try more advanced techniques. you can always break down advanced formulas to basic, just have to understand the technique first and what it's trying to accomplish

how about i do 6 for 1 minute and do 8mph for 1 minute?

chase187
05-05-2012, 02:20 PM
This thread is hurting my head. Some of these responses LOL

You can run all you want. As long as you're in a calorie surplus at the end of the day, you'll gain.
If you're doing heavy lifting sessions and the cardio is FATIGUING you and you're unable to get the lifts up. Well, that's another issue all by itself.

LuisC82787
05-05-2012, 02:49 PM
This thread is hurting my head. Some of these responses LOL

You can run all you want. As long as you're in a calorie surplus at the end of the day, you'll gain.
If you're doing heavy lifting sessions and the cardio is FATIGUING you and you're unable to get the lifts up. Well, that's another issue all by itself. thanks for the advice. i am a newb at this whole body building stuff

nickabud
05-05-2012, 03:09 PM

Not so much if you have terrible allergies.

LuisC82787
05-06-2012, 09:26 AM
i think ill start running outdoors this week and see how it goes.