PDA

View Full Version : Burning calories in cardio

seriouslifter
04-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Whats your regular cardio session yield in calories when trying to lose bodyfat? I have just worked up my cardio to 500-550 in about 45 min. Im doing that 6x a week now so i am def under along with deficiency in diet.

tylertheliger
04-25-2012, 06:17 PM
0 calories

jdjprimer19
04-25-2012, 06:19 PM
People still do cardio these days?

KileyEPS
04-25-2012, 06:36 PM
When I ran on the treadmill my numbers were similar. Are you lifting as well?

jonaire
04-26-2012, 01:46 AM
OP thats a hellla lot of cardio combined with a calorie deficit you gon loose alllllll your gains brah (Semisrs)

johncevans
04-26-2012, 04:57 AM
Carido can be good but your going to be burning through good muscle before you get to your fat. Try shorter cardio more sprint intervals. Try to get your time down to 30 min or less. If you do the sprints you can accomplish in 20 minutes what it takes to do in 45, while saving some lean muscle too.

vermeer
04-26-2012, 09:09 AM
cardio is good to do.... I do about 30 minutes a session.... sometimes I will do cardio in the morning and at night....

vermeer
04-26-2012, 09:12 AM
Carido can be good but your going to be burning through good muscle before you get to your fat. Try shorter cardio more sprint intervals. Try to get your time down to 30 min or less. If you do the sprints you can accomplish in 20 minutes what it takes to do in 45, while saving some lean muscle too.

cardio won't burn muscle as long as you stay under 45 minutes...making sure your protein is high enough is essential

SirIngenious
04-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Cardio is very, very good for burning fat.

Burning calories is all about the numbers, such as 3,500 calories lost is 1 pound.

And cardio helps you achieve that goal; so hit them elliptical trainers, stairmasters, stationary bike, and what have you.

Think of cardio like steroids that are to muscles but only for calories. If your goal is to cut calories and shave those bodyfat quicker, go for it. Not necessary but it's very beneficial in that aspect. And it's good for your cardiovascular system as well! Maybe invest in the "Couch to 5k" running program so you can run like a racehorse when you've slimmed up even more.

justmightbecraz
04-26-2012, 10:00 AM

I ate after 8pm last night too, but I felt the need to stoke the fires of my metabolism.

P.S. If you don't get my sarcasm, then hopefully you'll at least understand that my walking at 3.5 mph @ 2.5% incline for 60 minutes (610 cals @ my current weight) isn't going to destroy my gains from lifting.

Kingthumper
04-26-2012, 08:32 PM
Honestly, I disregard whatever the machine reports as calories burned. I don't trust them and think they are terribly inaccurate. I do 10 minutes LISS prior to training to get the blood flowing and another 20 - 30 minutes of LISS at the end of my session. I look at cardio as a form of conditioning for overall health, not as a means to strictly burn calories or fat.

jarhead89x
04-26-2012, 10:17 PM
I don't usually do cardio but when I do, I burn about 450 cals in 45 minutes. This is LISS cardio between cycling, walking and slow jogging.

From what I've gathered from this website, calories burned from LISS utilizes fat, while calories burned from HIIT utilizes carbohydrates. I know you'll lose weight either way with a calorie deficit, but wouldn't this mean that I'd lose more fat or lose fat faster if I burned 400 calories from LISS compared to 400 calories from HIIT?

But wait! Wouldn't I be burning more calories from HITT because of the all-day-increased-fat-burning-furnace metabolism?

dmacdonal9
04-27-2012, 04:21 AM
I don't usually do cardio but when I do, I burn about 450 cals in 45 minutes. This is LISS cardio between cycling, walking and slow jogging.

From what I've gathered from this website, calories burned from LISS utilizes fat, while calories burned from HIIT utilizes carbohydrates. I know you'll lose weight either way with a calorie deficit, but wouldn't this mean that I'd lose more fat or lose fat faster if I burned 400 calories from LISS compared to 400 calories from HIIT?

But wait! Wouldn't I be burning more calories from HITT because of the all-day-increased-fat-burning-furnace metabolism?

Some relevant reading on this:

http://www.simplyshredded.com/nutrition-expert-alan-aragon-talks-with-simplyshredded-com.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/steady-state-versus-intervals-and-epoc-practical-application.html

AlwaysTryin
04-27-2012, 04:34 AM
Don't forget that the machine saying you burnt "x" calories is wrong