PDA

View Full Version : ITT you will become aware of the best coach in the world

broboma2012
04-23-2012, 08:57 PM
In light of the fact that one of my former high school team mates has qualified for the Olympics i thought I would share this a Sports Illustrated article which features my high school wrestling coach. I think everyone has certain nostalgia when it comes to a particular coach. This is a great read for any sports fan (especially, though, if you were a wrestler). It might as well be a movie script.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1194725/index.htm

cliffs
-badass wrestler who was a bit rough around the edges
-retires from competition (was all-american and qualified for the Olympic team) to coach his former high school
-turns program from poor to the best int he state in 6 years
-is a father figure to many boys on the team. several even call him dad
-teaches his team of 'lost boys' what it means to be man
-gets rare disease in which his immune system attacks his muscle cells
-goes from being able to do 50+ pull up to only three to not being able to walk without assistance
-loses 40 lbs in one month
-still doesn't miss practice

READ IT!! It's fairly long but well worth it. One of the most inspiring people I have ever met. A truly good person.

tyqb4
04-23-2012, 09:49 PM
holy ****. inspirational guy, glad i read that. wish i would have had coaches like that.

broboma2012
04-23-2012, 11:00 PM
holy ****. inspirational guy, glad i read that. wish i would have had coaches like that.

He was one of the greatest people I have ever met and even in the short time I was on the team (transferred schools my senior year and decided to try out wrestling) he made a big impact on my life that I am still feeling the effects of. I look up to his character and his example more than my own father. Through coaching he literally changed the course of those kids lives. He would spend as much time talking to me and encouraging me (as well as just trying to get to know me) as he would do for the top wrestlers in the room; a few being some of the best in the nation. Some of the complements which have the most significance to me to this day are ones he paid me.

Do you think any of those kids in that room even SAY the word tired knowing the lengths he goes to in order to come through for them every day? I really doubt it. He is a great man.

bmp010
04-23-2012, 11:10 PM
That's awesome OP. Bet that man taught you a lot.

broboma2012
04-23-2012, 11:19 PM
That's awesome OP. Bet that man taught you a lot.

Yes he definitely did. I think it's important to realized with all the stuff you hear about sandusky that there are coaches out there who have an equal and opposite effect on their pupils.

AmazinJason
04-24-2012, 12:19 AM
Read it all.

Fuark I'm inspired. Really puts life into perspective.

broboma2012
04-24-2012, 12:28 AM
Read it all.

Fuark I'm inspired. Really puts life into perspective.

Yea. It really goes to show that there is no excuse to not achieve whatever you want, as dr. phil life coachy as that sounds.

broboma2012
04-24-2012, 07:25 PM
bumping this.

broboma2012
04-24-2012, 09:30 PM
this is pathetic. hey guys lebron james