PDA

View Full Version : PEW study on immigration patterns

markymark69
04-23-2012, 08:04 PM
http://www.pewhispanic.org/2012/04/23/net-migration-from-mexico-falls-to-zero-and-perhaps-less/

lee4
04-23-2012, 09:41 PM
if true, shouldn't scubasteve be changing his underwear due to the elation?

markymark69
04-24-2012, 05:18 AM
if true, shouldn't scubasteve be changing his underwear due to the elation?

Most likely he and others will dismiss it as MSM. It would require them to acknowledge increase border enforcement and increased deportation.

49 views and only 1 response. GermanBB..now you understand why I have stated time and again, the average IQ on this forum is <100.

markymark69
04-24-2012, 05:22 AM
when measured not in absolute numbers but as a share of the immigrant population at the time, immigration waves from Germany and Ireland in the late 19th century equaled or exceeded the modern wave from Mexico.

That would certainly explain the bigotry encountered by the Irish and Germans in the 19th century.

frasersteen
04-24-2012, 05:38 AM
http://www.pewhispanic.org/2012/04/23/net-migration-from-mexico-falls-to-zero-and-perhaps-less/

Just read this and was going to post it.

Key points:
- Mexico-US immigration now in decline, probably since 2010
- The slowing of the growth started around 5 years ago.

Partisan comments:
- in the last 40 years only 1 president out of 8 has managed to tackle the immigration problem: Obama
- Dubya started the trend and Obama is just capitalising on it
- repeat the above ad nausiam

pachovia
04-24-2012, 06:08 AM
Maybe it has something to do with not being able to find work?

markymark69
04-24-2012, 06:45 AM
Maybe it has something to do with not being able to find work?

Did you read the report? They talk about that. The downward trend started 5yrs ago.

markymark69
04-24-2012, 06:49 AM
I should have made the title: Mine the borders and kill them all.

Carpig
04-24-2012, 06:52 AM
Never put anything past our politicians. They have found a way to make this country so ****ty that it's not even attractive for people to risk their lives to pick cabbage for $2/day.

markymark69
04-24-2012, 06:59 AM
Never put anything past our politicians. They have found a way to make this country so ****ty that it's not even attractive for people to risk their lives to pick cabbage for $2/day.

And we have another one that hasnt read the report.

Carpig
04-24-2012, 07:21 AM
And we have another one that hasnt read the report.

"The standstill appears to be the result of many factors, including the weakened U.S. job and housing construction markets, heightened border enforcement, a rise in deportations, the growing dangers associated with illegal border crossings..."

Also, please update your sarcasm detector.

Rockchalk0420
04-24-2012, 07:26 AM
I used to think immigration was a huge problem. But it greatly pales in comparison to several other issues that affect this nation right now. If anything, we don't allow enough (legal) immigration into the United States. There is literally a 30 year wait line for some people just waiting to get into this country.

TaeBoNinja
04-24-2012, 07:32 AM
I can't take any research seriously when it says there are only 7 million Illegal Immigrants.

pachovia
04-24-2012, 07:33 AM
Si, I spent 1 year and $5,000 so my wife could move to the USA legally.

TaeBoNinja
04-24-2012, 07:46 AM
I used to think immigration was a huge problem. But it greatly pales in comparison to several other issues that affect this nation right now. If anything, we don't allow enough (legal) immigration into the United States. There is literally a 30 year wait line for some people just waiting to get into this country.
Then you must not be from a border state, because illegal immigration costs our state(Cali) billions every year. I'm pro-legal immigration, but only for those who can actually contribute to society.

frasersteen
04-24-2012, 07:56 AM
Si, I spent 1 year and $5,000 so my wife could move to the USA legally.

This is how the system should work isn't it? 1 year of time spent by a us citizen dealing with BS and then you have to buy your way into the country. SMH

Strong meritocracy

markymark69
04-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Then you must not be from a border state, because illegal immigration costs our state(Cali) billions every year. I'm pro-legal immigration, but only for those who can actually contribute to society.

Hmm..been a long time since I have seen an illegal mexican sitting around doing nothing.

Question for you: Do you only buy produce picked by legal workers?

markymark69
04-24-2012, 08:41 AM
I can't take any research seriously when it says there are only 7 million Illegal Immigrants.

So you think their statistical methodology is flawed. Yours must be better. Have you published a paper on it? Can you post the executive summary?

Tekkendo
04-24-2012, 08:54 AM
"The standstill appears to be the result of many factors, including the weakened U.S. job and housing construction markets, heightened border enforcement, a rise in deportations, the growing dangers associated with illegal border crossings..."

Also, please update your sarcasm detector.
MarkyMacLoserIRL is running to be the dumbest poster, against Rogue, Bweeb! :D :D

http://i.imgur.com/Sauhe.gif

Tekkendo
04-24-2012, 08:57 AM
This is how the system should work isn't it? 1 year of time spent by a us citizen dealing with BS and then you have to buy your way into the country. SMH

Strong meritocracy

The immigration quota is set for different preference categories. A marriage visa is basically a no waiting, fastest route. Could be b/c we lov imported boobies!! :D

frasersteen
04-24-2012, 09:02 AM
The immigration quota is set for different preference categories. A marriage visa is basically a no waiting, fastest route. Could be b/c we lov imported boobies!! :D

Doesn't help the meritocracy argument though, not unless there is someone checking the quality of said boobies......nice work if you can get it.

Tekkendo
04-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Doesn't help the meritocracy argument though, not unless there is someone checking the quality of said boobies......nice work if you can get it.
The meritocracy argument is supported by the second preference category, the Skilled Professionals. This is also the source of the other bishing, ie the H1-B visa. lol

markymark69
04-24-2012, 09:49 AM
MarkyMacLoserIRL is running to be the dumbest poster, against Rogue, Bweeb! :D :D

http://i.imgur.com/Sauhe.gif

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144280501&p=871244861#post871244861

I almost feel bad making fun you. Part me thinks: Should I really poke fun at a mentally challenged person?

TaeBoNinja
04-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Hmm..been a long time since I have seen an illegal mexican sitting around doing nothing.

Question for you: Do you only buy produce picked by legal workers?
That's a myth, there are PLENTY of Illegals out there doing nothing. There are tons in our prison system, and tons more having 4-5 kids to get benefits.

And I would gladly pay more for produce if it mean't we could end sweatshop level wages in America.

TaeBoNinja
04-24-2012, 10:34 AM
So you think their statistical methodology is flawed. Yours must be better. Have you published a paper on it? Can you post the executive summary?
How about the Department of Homeland Security's data? http://www.dhs.gov/files/statistics/data/

They estimated that the number of Illegals tipped the 10+ million mark back in 2009, yet your article suggests that it peaked at 7 mil. I mean Cali alone, has close to 3 million in our state.

Again, I have no issue with legal immigration. It's the illegals who mostly come here with little education or skills, that put a burden on the system. Legal immigrants and the poor are the most hurt by this too, and creating 2nd-class citizenship isn't the answer either.

Frankly, my solution would be to give FULL amnesty to Illegals without criminal records....only IF we imposed a system where no more illegals couldn't find work, and we no longer allowed anchor babies to be citizens.

markymark69
04-24-2012, 10:39 AM
How about the Department of Homeland Security's data? http://www.dhs.gov/files/statistics/data/

They estimated that the number of Illegals tipped the 10+ million mark back in 2009, yet your article suggests that it peaked at 7 mil. I mean Cali alone, has close to 3 million in our state.

Why is the DHS methodology more accurate than Pew's?

markymark69
04-24-2012, 10:41 AM
That's a myth, there are PLENTY of Illegals out there doing nothing. There are tons in our prison system, and tons more having 4-5 kids to get benefits.

Tons & plenty are not numbers. is it 90%? 3%? 45 million? 200k? Link to said figures?

And I would gladly pay more for produce if it mean't we could end sweatshop level wages in America.

The question I asked you...do you only buy produce picked by legal workers? Its a simple yes or no question.

I buy my produce directly from the farms in my area and friends with the owners. So my answer is yes.

I never understand why people on the R&P are deathly afraid of answering simple questions.

Tekkendo
04-24-2012, 11:05 AM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144280501&p=871244861#post871244861

I almost feel bad making fun you. Part me thinks: Should I really poke fun at a mentally challenged person?
You are the one working overtime to show everyone you are even more stupid than Rogue and Bweeb! :D

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/002236375/5356159280_hillary_clinton_xlarge.jpeg

Tekkendo
04-24-2012, 11:23 AM
From that PEW 'study'

"...In 2009 and again in 2011, the Pew Global Attitudes survey asked Mexican adults if they would emigrate to the United States if they had the means and opportunity to do so. The results were similar in both surveys. In 2011, 38% of survey respondents said yes, they would migrate to the U.S., while 61% said no, they would not. In 2009, 33% said yes, they would migrate if they could, while 62% said no. Among those who said yes in 2011, a majority (53%) said that they would go to work or live in the U.S. even without legal authorization.
..."

So according to PEW, more of them want to come to America if they could.

Thanks for posting that study, MacLoserIRL. You have just shown that more Mexicans want to come to the US if they could.

Do you feel so far king stupid now, MacLoserIRL? :D :D

ToPHeR35
04-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Notice how no one even mentions border violence....

markymark69
04-24-2012, 11:29 AM
From that PEW 'study'

"...In 2009 and again in 2011, the Pew Global Attitudes survey asked Mexican adults if they would emigrate to the United States if they had the means and opportunity to do so. The results were similar in both surveys. In 2011, 38% of survey respondents said yes, they would migrate to the U.S., while 61% said no, they would not. In 2009, 33% said yes, they would migrate if they could, while 62% said no. Among those who said yes in 2011, a majority (53%) said that they would go to work or live in the U.S. even without legal authorization.
..."

So according to PEW, more of them want to come to America if they could.

Thanks for posting that study, MacLoserIRL. You have just shown that more Mexicans want to come to the US if they could.

Do you feel so far king stupid now, MacLoserIRL? :D :D

Nobody is disputing the fact that more people want to come to the US.

TaeBoNinja
04-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Why is the DHS methodology more accurate than Pew's?
Perhaps that's a better question for the Pew Hispanic Center. But taking a deeper look at how the data was formualted, we can see that Pew realied on multiple surveys, which may be why their numbers are so out of wack.

The report draws on numerous data sources from both Mexico and the U.S. The principal
Mexican data sources are the Mexican decennial censuses (Censos de Población y Vivienda) of
1990, 2000 and 2010; the Mexican Population Count (Conteos de Población y Vivienda) of
2005; the Survey of Migration in the Northern Border of Mexico (la Encuesta sobre Migracíon
en la Frontera Norte de México or EMIF-Norte); the Survey of Demographic Dynamics of
2006 and 2009 (Encuesta Nacional de Dinámica Demográfica or ENADID); and the Survey of
Occupation and Employment for 2005-2011 (Encuesta Nacional de Ocupación y Empleo or
ENOE). The principal U.S. data sources are the Census Bureau’s Current Population Survey
(CPS) monthly data for 1994 to 2012; the CPS Annual Social and Economic Supplement
conducted in March for 1994 to 2011; the American Community Survey (ACS) for 2005-2010;
U.S. Censuses from 1850 to 2000; U.S. Border Patrol data on apprehensions at the U.S.-
Mexico border; and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Office of Immigration
Statistics on legal admissions to the U.S. and aliens removed or returned. The report also uses
data from the World Bank and the United Nations Population Division.

Tons & plenty are not numbers. is it 90%? 3%? 45 million? 200k? Link to said figures?

OK.

1) 13% of the inmates out here in Cali are Illegals, and they cost us $1 billion a year. http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/investigations/122630554.html

2)
-In my county alone(LA) Illegals cost 1.6 billion in total costs.
-Welfare alone for Illegals here was $646 million
http://capoliticalnews.com/2012/03/06/antonovich-la-county-cost-for-illegal-aliens-is-1-6-billion-per-year/

3) Education for anchor babies costs us 2.8 billion. http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/opinion/columnists/article_e5c38ba0-2b45-11e0-aeb7-001cc4c002e0.html

The reality is that most Illegals come here with no skills, so it's no surprise why this is so.

The question I asked you...do you only buy produce picked by legal workers? Its a simple yes or no question.

I buy my produce directly from the farms in my area and friends with the owners. So my answer is yes.

I never understand why people on the R&P are deathly afraid of answering simple questions.
I buy my produce at the market, so I'm sure it's possible that some has been picked by Illegals. What's your point?

markymark69
04-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Perhaps that's a better question for the Pew Hispanic Center. But taking a deeper look at how the data was formualted, we can see that Pew realied on multiple surveys, which may be why their numbers are so out of wack.

The report draws on numerous data sources from both Mexico and the U.S. The principal
Mexican data sources are the Mexican decennial censuses (Censos de Población y Vivienda) of
1990, 2000 and 2010; the Mexican Population Count (Conteos de Población y Vivienda) of
2005; the Survey of Migration in the Northern Border of Mexico (la Encuesta sobre Migracíon
en la Frontera Norte de México or EMIF-Norte); the Survey of Demographic Dynamics of
2006 and 2009 (Encuesta Nacional de Dinámica Demográfica or ENADID); and the Survey of
Occupation and Employment for 2005-2011 (Encuesta Nacional de Ocupación y Empleo or
ENOE). The principal U.S. data sources are the Census Bureau’s Current Population Survey
(CPS) monthly data for 1994 to 2012; the CPS Annual Social and Economic Supplement
conducted in March for 1994 to 2011; the American Community Survey (ACS) for 2005-2010;
U.S. Censuses from 1850 to 2000; U.S. Border Patrol data on apprehensions at the U.S.-
Mexico border; and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Office of Immigration
Statistics on legal admissions to the U.S. and aliens removed or returned. The report also uses
data from the World Bank and the United Nations Population Division.

Which data sources did DHS rely on?

3) Education for anchor babies costs us 2.8 billion. http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/opinion/columnists/article_e5c38ba0-2b45-11e0-aeb7-001cc4c002e0.html

Hold on a second...I thought you supported legal immigration and you want to grant amnesty to all the ones already here? Their children, which born here grant them US citizenship per 14th amendment. SO no matter what you propose...your costs will not go down.

I buy my produce at the market, so I'm sure it's possible that some has been picked by Illegals. What's your point?

I was just curious why someone so ardently opposed to illegal immigration supports businesses that employ illegals.

btw..in the furture...dont link to blogs and opinion pages to support your position. I rarely comment on them, because they typically support a political point, rather than objectively reporting an issue.

I do find it fascinating which figures you readily accept and those which you readily dismiss.

TaeBoNinja
04-24-2012, 11:58 AM
Which data sources did DHS rely on?
Office of Immigration Statistics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_Immigration_Statistics

We have a federal agency that handles this very task.

Hold on a second...I thought you supported legal immigration and you want to grant amnesty to all the ones already here? Their children, which born here grant them US citizenship per 14th amendment. SO no matter what you propose...your costs will not go down.

Oh, I know that the cost of those already in the country won't go down. BUT, the key is to prevent more from coming in. To me it's a fair compromise, I would give Illegals here full citizenship, but no more anchor babies after that.

I was just curious why someone so ardently opposed to illegal immigration supports businesses that employ illegals.
It's fairly hard to avoid businesses that employ illegals, since so many do. That would be like trying to avoid corporations that use overseas sweatshop labor.

markymark69
04-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Office of Immigration Statistics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_Immigration_Statistics

We have a federal agency that handles this very task.

Do you have a link to the DHS statistic of 10+million? I was unable to find it in the link you provided...found the # of enforcement actions (which match up exactly with the Pew study), but not the annual # of illegals.

BTW: Pew used the CPS for estimating the annual illegal population. Also I am not stating the Pew study is perfect. They admit, their figures are estimations, but they go into great detail about their methodology and I have never known of them having to retract a study due to flawed analysis.

TaeBoNinja
04-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Do you have a link to the DHS statistic of 10+million? I was unable to find it in the link you provided...found the # of enforcement actions (which match up exactly with the Pew study), but not the annual # of illegals.

BTW: Pew used the CPS for estimating the annual illegal population. Also I am not stating the Pew study is perfect. They admit, their figures are estimations, but they go into great detail about their methodology and I have never known of them having to retract a study due to flawed analysis.
No problem. http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/statistics/publications/ois_ill_pe_2009.pdf