PDA

View Full Version : Am I Wasting Money?

Dussin
07-08-2003, 06:30 PM
Am I wasting money on gym memberships if i dont diet correctly or supplement? Are supplements crucial to build muscle?

user467891513
07-08-2003, 07:51 PM
Well - Everyone has their own opinion on this. But here is mine...

Looking good, working out, etc too me is %75 Diet and 25% GYM.

That being said the better you eat the more benefit you will receive from all the time you spend in the gym. Why would you NOT want to MAXIMIZE all that time and effort??? Think of your body as a car and if you don't fuel/feed it right - does it run/work properly???? I'll shut-up now but DIET is KEY!!

As for supplments - Are they absolutely crucial??? Well no. BUT ask anyone remotely into working out, etc and they will say you need them. I take them (protein, creatine, glutamine, etc)

I would definately recommend supplements. Like I said - MAXIMIZE your time/money/energy/committment and do it properly :)

Good luck!

derekmac
07-08-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Dussin
Am I wasting money on gym memberships if i dont diet correctly or supplement? Are supplements crucial to build muscle?

If your diet is crap, then you are wasting your time in my opinion. It is the foundation for your success, everything hinges on it.

Truly_Huge_262
07-08-2003, 07:55 PM
Doing something is better than nothing, but, you grow outside the gym with proper diet and especially, rest. Supplementation is not necessary but helps if you purchase the right stuff.

user467891513
07-08-2003, 08:00 PM
Yes - I mean working out is better then not working out and sitting on the couch.

BUT - If your gonna put in all the time to go to the gym, workout, pay for a membership it, you might as well eat properly too.

I mean you can still eat like crap 1 day a week lets say and thats still doing great. Infact it recommended.

So during the week eat good and on the weekend (Sat) enjoy yourself.

derekmac
07-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Shmigelz
Yes - I mean working out is better then not working out and sitting on the couch.

BUT - If your gonna put in all the time to go to the gym, workout, pay for a membership it, you might as well eat properly too.

I mean you can still eat like crap 1 day a week lets say and thats still doing great. Infact it recommended.

So during the week eat good and on the weekend (Sat) enjoy yourself.

How is slacking off on the diet beneficial?

A planned refeed or carb-up is a different story.

user467891513
07-08-2003, 08:04 PM
Because if you train your body (metabolism) to work properly the other 6 days a week, that 1 day wont do any damage at all.

Not only that - your body will probably thank you and not to mention you wont go crazy, get depressed eating good 100% of the time. No one does that.

I mean you gotta live too and enjoy your food. If you work hard - play hard!!!

You will also enjoy that 1 day a week more then doing it 7 days a week.

derekmac
07-08-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Shmigelz
Because if you train your body (metabolism) to work properly the other 6 days a week, that 1 day wont do any damage at all.

Not only that - your body will probably thank you and not to mention you wont go crazy, get depressed eating good 100% of the time. No one does that.

I mean you gotta live too and enjoy your food. If you work hard - play hard!!!

You will also enjoy that 1 day a week more then doing it 7 days a week.

A planned refeed would be more beneficial; when you consume the right type of carbs, starches for one, your leptin levels will be maintained.

If it has nutritional value, then it is even better. If it's just junk, then you are not getting ahead.

If you go overboard for an entire day, you are defeating the purpose as to why you are on the diet in the first place.

It should consist of a meal, rather than an entire day of falling off the wagon IMO.

SKorn
07-08-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Truly_Huge_262
Doing something is better than nothing, but, you grow outside the gym with proper diet and especially, rest. Supplementation is not necessary but helps if you purchase the right stuff.

BUMP

xil
07-08-2003, 10:39 PM
Your cheat day is still under some control... you don't just go to maccas and eat the whole place outta business.

bkman4
07-08-2003, 11:49 PM
You should only workout for an hour each day. You should be eating all day...so...BB is 10% lifting and 90% diet. Seriously, most people could make progress for a long time with bad lifting habits, but bad dieting habits will halt progress.

UpinSJC
07-09-2003, 12:19 AM
After 10 weeks (Realize I'm still a neweebie comapred to spme of these guys) I have found that supplementing with creatine, a mulit vitamine, CLA, ZMAand also Vitamins E,C,and B (in addition to my multi) and also a EFA has really done some amazing things FOR ME.

Just a hint.

ALos

With the exception of the ZMA, wer're NOT talking about big bucks!!!!

bkman4
07-09-2003, 07:15 AM
It's funny you say that about ZMA, if you make your own it is super cheap. Watch for the mega doses of zinc.

katma201
07-09-2003, 10:09 AM
It all depends on what your goals are. If you are just looking to gain some stregth and put on muscle, joining the gym will do that for you. If you are looking to get maximum lean muslce mass and minimum fat gains and a slick looking body, you need to get your diet down. That doesn't mean you have to wait to join the gym before you perfect your diet. Hell, it took me a good 4 months to perfect my diet after I joined the gym. Either way you are going to be healthier.

groovy2u
07-09-2003, 11:06 AM
can some one suggest a good cost effective protien supplement. How is GNC's whey iso burst? I am trying to work on my diet but need some sort of protien supplementation as it seems to be hard to intake enough food for the protien ratio of 2 grams per lb, and is that the right ratio? What is the highest protien food out there that doesn't taste like crap? Thanks everyone

katma201
07-09-2003, 11:47 AM
Personally I only eat about 1.2g protien per lb. of lean muscle mass. Which is about 150 grams/day. I don't feel that I need more than that. I always progress(make gains) and recover fast. So, why eat more than I have to, ya know? About 33% comes from sups. The rest is easilly made up with tuna and chicken, milk and gottage cheese. I just bought a 5lb tub of Optimum Nutrition Whey which is really cheap. About $25. I'll be taking 1 scoop of that in the morning and before I go to bed, so it will last me quite a while. My post workout is much more expensive, but thats when you really need the HQ sups. I go with 2 scoops of beverly muscle provider, which is about $28 for a 2lb tub.

groovy2u
07-09-2003, 12:03 PM
cottage cheese is good for nutrition? that is a blessing to hear. I dont want to have to eat tofu or anything like that. The optimum nutrition brand, where can I find that?

BallerPimp69
07-09-2003, 01:09 PM
i love confused people, that dont know a thing on nutrition, or even what whey is, we need more of you, it makes me giggle, but its ok, cuz wqe all started there, and had people giggle at us (actually they probably laughed, but i giggle)

BallerPimp69
07-09-2003, 01:11 PM
because giggling like a litle schoolgirl is the coolest

groovy2u
07-09-2003, 01:29 PM
I think I have a fairly ok body right now, I am just quite the novice at eating right. It is so much cheaper to eat crap food and takes less time. But in the 5 years this is all the gains I have made. I just want to gain a good solid 15 lbs of lean muscle and I will be satisfied

derekmac
07-09-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by groovy2u
I think I have a fairly ok body right now, I am just quite the novice at eating right. It is so much cheaper to eat crap food and takes less time. But in the 5 years this is all the gains I have made. I just want to gain a good solid 15 lbs of lean muscle and I will be satisfied

Looking good, bro :cool:

katma201
07-10-2003, 11:05 AM
d p s n u t r i t i o n . n e t has killer prices on everything.

wetboybandit
07-10-2003, 04:47 PM
I think that training is 50 percent and so is dieting the two go hand and hand you can't have one without the other and if there both not in balnce you just won't make the gains you deisre period