PDA

View Full Version : Eating too little to lose weight?

djsaad1
04-22-2012, 06:01 AM
I was searching through the forum and came across a lot of posts stating that people stopped losing weight when they were at a big deficit 1000+ for many days but they started losing weight again when they raised that deficit to 500 calories or less. What is the reasoning or science behind not being able to lose weight if you are in a big deficit?

ssg10587
04-22-2012, 07:08 AM
This is a common myth. You WILL lose weight. As long as you are in a calorie deficit.

carrythezer0
04-22-2012, 07:12 AM
I was searching through the forum and came across a lot of posts stating that people stopped losing weight when they were at a big deficit 1000+ for many days but they started losing weight again when they raised that deficit to 500 calories or less. What is the reasoning or science behind not being able to lose weight if you are in a big deficit?

Weakness, irritability/sanity, metabolism crashing...

germaine07
04-22-2012, 09:04 AM
Caloric deficit will result in weight loss.

Although it may not be very beneficial to eat at too large a deficit as you have greater chance of burning muscle for energy and it may have negative health impacts. Also, most of the time extreme cuts lead to binging and an ED.

gloria7
04-22-2012, 10:03 AM
I was searching through the forum and came across a lot of posts stating that people stopped losing weight when they were at a big deficit 1000+ for many days

water retention

huge deficit = faster weight loss, but the greatest amount of this weight is due to muscle loss, unless you are obese.

dmacdonal9
04-22-2012, 10:06 AM
Too large a deficit may mean you don't have the energy to exercise or the willpower to adhere to your self imposed torture, both of which hinder weight loss in the long term, for obvious reasons.

Fat loss is also not linear. This causes many people to assume what they are doing is not working, when it usually is, but measurable results are sometimes not immediate.