PDA

View Full Version : If You Eat Healthy, Do You Need Multivitamins?

ChristmasFnatic
04-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Im talking about the average person, not us who lifts. Someone in the gym was being adamant about not needing multivitamins, that its "something Asians do". How true is this?

MCrow
04-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Buying a multi is like buying insurance: maybe you need it , maybe you don't but you'll be sorry if you need it and don't have it.

DiabeticLifter
04-12-2012, 08:40 PM
its up for debate. there are reports/experiments that support the use, while others say they can promote cancer.

t12jm
04-12-2012, 08:42 PM
^^ agreed. There is conflicting data from reputable studies regarding any long term benefit. No one knows if they're really worthwhile, or even possibly harmful.

ChristmasFnatic
04-12-2012, 08:42 PM
its up for debate. there are reports/experiments that support the use, while others say they can promote cancer.

Cancer?! The negative research is that bad? I thought its just "not needed". Now its cancer?!

t12jm
04-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Cancer?! The negative research is that bad? I thought its just "not needed". Now its cancer?!

linking to any cancer is more of a jump than any research can reasonably suggest, but there have been indications of a net negative effect.

The most recent and noteworthy from 2011: http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/short/171/18/1625

MCrow
04-12-2012, 08:45 PM

You can find studies that show a million things increase cancer, I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. Did you know eating grilled meat will give you cancer?

MCrow
04-12-2012, 08:48 PM
linking to any cancer is more of a jump than any research can reasonably suggest, but there have been indications of a net negative effect.

The most recent and noteworthy from 2011: http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/short/171/18/1625

That study is pretty weak. 1-3% increased risk? Not what I would call statistically relevant.

Bucka689
04-12-2012, 08:49 PM
yes

t12jm
04-12-2012, 08:53 PM
That study is pretty weak. 1-3% increased risk? Not what I would call statistically relevant.

a 20 year cohort study trumps a lot of other things. And a 3% increase in all cause mortality is certainly enough to warrant further work. As per my post above, no definitive answer exists as to whether there's any benefit or risk.

yes, but I have nothing to justify my answer

fixed

MCrow
04-12-2012, 08:59 PM
a 20 year cohort study trumps a lot of other things. And a 3% increase in all cause mortality is certainly enough to warrant further work. As per my post above, no definitive answer exists as to whether there's any benefit or risk.

fixed

Large sample size but 1-3% is probably within the margin of error. The only thing that warrants a second look here is that all of the metrics showed increases with exception of calcium. At the very best this study shows nothing really useful. I would think if there really was something worth being concerned about the study would have shown much more significant numbers.

t12jm
04-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Large sample size but 1-3% is probably within the margin of error. The only thing that warrants a second look here is that all of the metrics showed increases with exception of calcium. At the very best this study shows nothing really useful. I would think if there really was something worth being concerned about the study would have shown much more significant numbers.

the use of multivitamins (hazard ratio, 1.06; 95% CI, 1.02-1.10; absolute risk increase, 2.4%)

^^ Not outside the margin of error per the statistical controls with the standard 95% confidence interval.

RugbyTank
04-12-2012, 09:21 PM
If I had a multi-vit, I would take it.
If I ran out or missed a day, I wouldn't get butt-hurt or give a fiddle stick.

Haven't had a mutli-vitamin since I ordered OT like 2-years ago, just about to get one right now

kinda as a eh what the hell thing.
Ill be cutting this summer, so i'll be taking as a pre-caution.
But,
As far as dosing what ever vitamin I choose, only 1 will be taken.

pumpeyerun
04-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Im talking about the average person, not us who lifts. Someone in the gym was being adamant about not needing multivitamins, that its "something Asians do". How true is this?

Bodybuilder or not you don't need multivitamins unless you have a very restricted diet, have a genetic problem or absorption problem, or are an alcoholic/drug user. Recent studies have shown increased morbidity/mortality in those that use multivitamins and in high doses some vitamins like Vitamin E can increase certain cancers. Basically if your body is not in a vitamin deficiency you don't need them... They are not insurance unless you have a reason to take them, you're just increasing your risk for health problems.

MasterBench
04-12-2012, 11:45 PM
Bodybuilder or not you don't need multivitamins unless you have a very restricted diet, have a genetic problem or absorption problem, or are an alcoholic/drug user. Recent studies have shown increased morbidity/mortality in those that use multivitamins and in high doses some vitamins like Vitamin E can increase certain cancers. Basically if your body is not in a vitamin deficiency you don't need them... They are not insurance unless you have a reason to take them, you're just increasing your risk for health problems.

Too little vitamins/minerals cause chronic disease and some recent evidence shows that certain micro nutrients in abundance may cause chronic disease. Id rather be over, as the RDA recommendations are ridiculously low and are for untrained individuals (even low for them)

justfive
04-13-2012, 12:16 AM

lolled hard. those asians....

Robertozz
04-13-2012, 12:20 AM
If you're getting a balanced diet with plenty of fruit and veg a multi-vitamin shouldn't be needed, but like others have said you might want to take one just to make sure you're getting everything you need (insurance).

Cheese3216
04-13-2012, 01:07 AM
honestly i was feeling adverse/negative effects from taking two different types - 1 being orange triad and 2 being life force... so now i only take it every other day and i'm ok...

do we need them? of course not, look back in history.. people lived long lives without ever taking a single multivitamin lol. on the other hand, people have lived short, unhealthy lives and taken multivitamins... and then the other hand, people have lived long lives and taken multivitamins

mind=blown