PDA

View Full Version : What is good to pack for lunch?

02-12-2007, 06:40 AM
I am trying to eat healthier(as well as lose my beer belly) I am working out every other day and doing cardio on the off days. So my next step is to clean up my diet. My typical day looks like this:

Breakfast: Oatmeal or yogurt or an egg/cheese on a muffin or a peanut butter bagel.

Lunch: usually ill pack a ham (linchmeat) sandwich with some tostitoes or Ill get some some Chili from the cafeteria.

Dinner: Usually Chicken and chips, or vegatables, maybe lunchmeat sandwich again, baked beans with crackers or soup or a grilled cheese sandwich.

Im a single guy so I dont eat much, at least nothing too difficult to make. But am looking for ideas, thanks for any help.

sixzebra
02-12-2007, 06:45 AM
I am trying to eat healthier(as well as lose my beer belly) I am working out every other day and doing cardio on the off days. So my next step is to clean up my diet. My typical day looks like this:

Breakfast: Oatmeal or yogurt or an egg/cheese on a muffin or a peanut butter bagel.

Lunch: usually ill pack a ham (linchmeat) sandwich with some tostitoes or Ill get some some Chili from the cafeteria.

Dinner: Usually Chicken and chips, or vegatables, maybe lunchmeat sandwich again, baked beans with crackers or soup or a grilled cheese sandwich.

Im a single guy so I dont eat much, at least nothing too difficult to make. But am looking for ideas, thanks for any help.

Hi, overall, looks like you need to clean it up a lot :). So start by cleaning up meal #1. My suggestion is, have your oatmeal + add in a cup of eggwhites scrambled w/some veggies. Please ditch the egg/cheese muffin as this is really just crap. You ultimate goal should be to eventually eat 5-6 meals a day which consist of protein and a veggie and at first few meals, some carbs. CLEAN carbs at that.
But you have to start somewhere so why not your first meal of the day.

Good Luck!

edit: in getting to your original question, for lunch you could pack in a can/or pouch of tuna and a few crackers and a salad. thats' pretty easy to pack.

Trashard
02-12-2007, 06:49 AM
I would first of all try to add a few snacks in between to you eat at least 4-5 times a day. Then I'd get rid of the lunchmeat since they're usually really high in sodium...and of course get rid of the tostitos as well. Get yourself a Costco membership and it'll be your new best friend. You can get chicken, fish, beef, turkey, oats, rice etc.. at very decent prices and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to cook those a bit, just cook them the night before (some people like to cook for the week, i like it better when things are fresh) and then you have quality food to take along to work or school. You'll save money too!....
There's a lot more than that to a good diet....but it's a start...

Juic3
02-12-2007, 06:49 AM

1.Cut all the chips you eat (dont eat chips)
2.If you drink soda dont drink it, instead only drink water
3.Take your meals and space em out, so like have half of the sandwitch at lets say 1 pm and have the other half at 2 pm. (spaced out meals increase your metabolism).
4.Cut your sodium, dont eat so much salt

02-12-2007, 08:45 AM
Hi, overall, looks like you need to clean it up a lot :). So start by cleaning up meal #1. My suggestion is, have your oatmeal + add in a cup of eggwhites scrambled w/some veggies. Please ditch the egg/cheese muffin as this is really just crap. You ultimate goal should be to eventually eat 5-6 meals a day which consist of protein and a veggie and at first few meals, some carbs. CLEAN carbs at that.
But you have to start somewhere so why not your first meal of the day.

Good Luck!

edit: in getting to your original question, for lunch you could pack in a can/or pouch of tuna and a few crackers and a salad. thats' pretty easy to pack.

What are CLEAN carbs?

PS Thanks for the response.

sutitle101
02-12-2007, 09:02 AM
What are CLEAN carbs?

PS Thanks for the response.

potatoes, oats, ect.. as opposed to candy sugar. dont want to spike your bp.

02-12-2007, 10:03 AM
potatoes, oats, ect.. as opposed to candy sugar. dont want to spike your bp.

Gotchya, thanks.

bradroche
02-12-2007, 10:13 AM

Breakfast: Oatmeal is great, eggs are great, yogurt is great, try eating those 3, ditch the bagel unless its whole grain and ditch the muffin / cheese

Lunch: ditch the tostitoes, crap food really, have a piece of fruit in its place. The sandwich isnt the best, try to make sure its a whole grain bread, or use a whole wheat tortilla and put your sandwich stuff in there.

Dinner. Chicken is great, baked beans are great, veggies are great. Grilled cheese, crackers, chips are crap. Dont eat those. Once again sub fruit for chips if u want. Or you can eat some almonds or other nuts.

Try to have protein snacks in between your meals. Ideally you should try to eat 6 times a day (some people dont believe in this but I do). I know its hard starting out dieting so maybe just a snack of nuts / fruit / can of tuna / etc to start. After a while you will get used to it.