PDA

View Full Version : Gain Lean Muscle By Just Being Lazy And Gaining Fat?

Pike717
03-27-2012, 07:37 PM
Ok my question is, how much lean muscle can you gain (if any) in your arms, chest, back, shoulders & traps by just being lazy, gaining 80+ lbs of fat and then carrying it around in normal everyday life for 10 years etc? I didnt know that you could gain any noticeable lean muscle without excerise. lifting etc. I guess you could gain lean muscle in your legs, core etc. from carrying around all that extra weight, but your upper body?? Thanks.

tobymax123
03-27-2012, 07:42 PM
I never negged anyone at bb.com until now.

Pike717
03-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Toby please be patient!! Then neg me alll you want!! Im not claiming you can, but I also dont know for sure if you cant, I tried to find studies but couldnt locate any.

soonerman4life
03-27-2012, 07:52 PM

^^^ too funny, got a good chuckle.

Pike717
03-27-2012, 07:56 PM
^^^ too funny, got a good chuckle.
Hey I dont blame him if he does. But I do appeciate an answer!! It can even be rude etc.

Pike717
03-27-2012, 08:20 PM
Ok Below are pics. The first pic. is of me just prior to getting married, once I got married I pretty much did nothing but work 6 days a week, take care of my family, eat and watched tv. Years later, (last Feb.) I got tired of being fat and out of shape and started working out. The 2nd. pic of me is after losing 10-12 lbs.
The 3 & 4 pic. is of me in Jan. and the 5 pic. is of me last month.
I thought that I lost 83 lbs over the last 13 months and built muscle at the same time while eating at a deficit, but according to some other people I didnt. But gained muscle by getting fat, then carrying it around for years and then just uncovered it by losing 83 lbs. I have also had someone tell me that I wasnt eating at a defict over the last 13 months but at a surplus but still lost 83 lbs thru body recomp. Now I have had alot of people help over the last year + and I would have been lost without them. And now I have numerous people asking me how I did it and how they could get started etc. I would love to help others like I have been helped but The last thing I want to do is mislead them and give them advice, info etc. that isnt accurate. I also dont want to say that I dont have a clue and tell them they should ask someone else and have then think i am blowing them off, or not willing to help them etc. So sorry if the question is dumb, I would rather look like an idiot here than mislead someone that is thinking about getting into lifting/working out and eating healthy. I just want to know how I got from the first pic. to the last. Thanks again.

sawoobley
03-27-2012, 08:49 PM
You'd probably get some decent calves and that's about it. Think about it. Being lazy and gaining a significant amount of muscle. Gaining weight did nothing for me. I think I actually got weaker from moving around less and less. The amount of strength I've gained in the last few months is more than I've ever had before and I started off at a pretty sorry place after gaining a bunch of weight and losing it. There use to be a guy on here who lost 400-500 lbs through diet and exercise. He didn't have all that much muscle afterwards even though he got pretty lean. The muscle he did have looked odd and out of proportion. It's hard to describe but he didn't look right. Plus there is the issue of loose skin...

Pike717
03-27-2012, 08:59 PM
You'd probably get some decent calves and that's about it. Think about it. Being lazy and gaining a significant amount of muscle. Gaining weight did nothing for me. I think I actually got weaker from moving around less and less. The amount of strength I've gained in the last few months is more than I've ever had before and I started off at a pretty sorry place after gaining a bunch of weight and losing it. There use to be a guy on here who lost 400-500 lbs through diet and exercise. He didn't have all that much muscle afterwards even though he got pretty lean. The muscle he did have looked odd and out of proportion. It's hard to describe but he didn't look right. Plus there is the issue of loose skin... Thanks for the reply!! My calves were small before I gained weight, after I gained weight and one inch larger now then they were at my heaviest weight when I started working out. I pretty fiqured as much ( actually would have bet the farm) that you couldnt gain any noticeable amount of muscle but I wanted to be 100% sure.

acrawlingchaos
03-27-2012, 09:59 PM
Will you build lean mass simply by virtue of being lazy and aquiring size? Yes, to some degree. If I was to gain 100 pounds of weight, it would be inconcievable that 10-20 pounds of that would be lean.

Being in a calorie surplus allows give you a hormonal advantage in gaining lean mass.

Carrying the extra bulk would build some lean mass.

acrawlingchaos
03-27-2012, 10:04 PM
For the record Pike, so you can let this go. No one ever said that you can not build muscle and lose fat at the same time.

I bet you did build some muscle as you shed fat.

What I said is that you can not be in a calorie surplus and lose weight. This is impossible according to the laws of physics and thermodynamics. When you lose weight (and ganed muscle) you were in a caloric deficit.

Pike717
03-27-2012, 11:51 PM
Will you build lean mass simply by virtue of being lazy and aquiring size? Yes, to some degree. If I was to gain 100 pounds of weight, it would be inconcievable that 10-20 pounds of that would be lean.

Being in a calorie surplus allows give you a hormonal advantage in gaining lean mass.

Carrying the extra bulk would build some lean mass.
Thanks for the reply

Pike717
03-27-2012, 11:52 PM
For the record Pike, so you can let this go. No one ever said that you can not build muscle and lose fat at the same time.

I bet you did build some muscle as you shed fat.

What I said is that you can not be in a calorie surplus and lose weight. This is impossible according to the laws of physics and thermodynamics. When you lose weight (and ganed muscle) you were in a caloric deficit. I promise that this thread had nothing to do with you.

acrawlingchaos
03-28-2012, 12:46 AM
I promise that this thread had nothing to do with you.

No problem, message sent :D

Payton1221
03-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Ok my question is, how much lean muscle can you gain (if any) in your arms, chest, back, shoulders & traps by just being lazy, gaining 80+ lbs of fat and then carrying it around in normal everyday life for 10 years etc? I didnt know that you could gain any noticeable lean muscle without excerise. lifting etc. I guess you could gain lean muscle in your legs, core etc. from carrying around all that extra weight, but your upper body?? Thanks.

I recall an article that Alan Aragon referenced, and IF I recall correctly, eating at a surplus with no exercise program caused an average of 10# of lean mass when they had gained 30# overall. Again, that's from memory, but it was about 2:1 fat:lean.

BTW, why would any one care?

Pike717
03-29-2012, 01:44 AM
I recall an article that Alan Aragon referenced, and IF I recall correctly, eating at a surplus with no exercise program caused an average of 10# of lean mass when they had gained 30# overall. Again, that's from memory, but it was about 2:1 fat:lean.

BTW, why would any one care? So basicly since Im just starting a bulk and since gaining fat and cutting fat is alot easier for me than gaining muscle, it would be more beneficial for me to be lazy again, eat and drink whatever I desire, gain 30 lbs of fat and 15lbs of lean muscle then cut once and end up at my goal of 220 lbs? Instead of eating healthy, counting every macro, forcing as much protein down my throat as possible, busting my a$$ in the gym and doing numerous bulking and cutting phases and end up at 220 lbs. Seems to good to be true and im not saying it isnt, but why wouldnt anyone choose to gain fat and muscle by doing nothing but eating all the food you want, drinking all the beer you want, watching all the tv. you want, and then just cut once?

Because I have had a lot of help over the past year and would not be anywhere close to where I am now without that help and now I have friends asking for help/advice and do not want to give them false info.

Cbuzz00
03-29-2012, 01:52 AM
So basicly since Im just starting a bulk and since gaining fat and cutting fat is alot easier for me than gaining muscle, it would be more beneficial for me to be lazy again, eat and drink whatever I desire, gain 30 lbs of fat and 15lb.of lean muscle then cut once and end up at my goal of 220 lbs? Instead of eating healthy, counting every macro, forcing as much protein down my throat as possible, busting my a$$ in the gym and doing numerous bulking and cutting phases and end up at 220 lbs. Seems to good to be true. ( not saying you are wrong,)

Because I have had a lot of help over the past year and would not be anywhere close to where I am now without that help and now I have friends asking for help/advice and do not want to give them false info.

I highly doubt that will work. Your LBM %age gain from carrying around large amounts of fat will be very minimal (if any). You'll just end up really fat IMO.

Who said your going to gain 15LB's of lean muscle if you gain 30LB's of pure fat? I'd say you would probably gain about 5LB's of lean muscle & 25LB's of pure fat if your not lifting.

Pike717
03-29-2012, 01:57 AM
I highly doubt that will work. Your LBM %age gain from carrying around large amounts of fat will be very minimal (if any). You'll just end up really fat IMO.
Well according to Allen Aragan ( who has trained some of the best BBers, pro athletes and even fake pro wrestlers like Stone Cold Steve Austin) say's that you can gain 1lb. of lean muscle for every 2lbs of fat by doing nothing but eating at a surplus watching tv. and not doing any exercise. Dude I have only had like 4 beer's over the last 13 months!!!

acrawlingchaos
03-29-2012, 02:28 AM
If you really don't understand the difference between muscle gained by being a sedentary fatass and muscle gained with a controlled diet and a proper program, than I don't know what to tell you.

Pike717
03-29-2012, 03:34 AM
If you really don't understand the difference between muscle gained by being a sedentary fatass and muscle gained with a controlled diet and a proper program, than I don't know what to tell you. I would never stop lifting, I enjoy it to much, infact I have to force myself everyday to leave the gym and not over train. I work out 7 days per week (lifting for 4 days) for the past 13 months. But If I can lift, eat 5,000-6000 calories per day instead of 3,000 per day I should be able to gain more lean muscle and even cut the extra fat faster than eating 3,000 calories per day, bulking, cutting, bulking and cutting. I dont mind gaining extra weight because I know I can cut it very fast.

drudixon
03-29-2012, 04:24 AM
Looking at your avi 3000 is still surplus. Bring a fat sss won't get you a 300 lb bench. I did a psycho bulk 2 years ago, gained 50 lbs. This bulk is much slower going, but I won't have to cut again. Based on your posts you have an unhealthy relationship with food, imo. Id rather look and feel good than stuff my face with doritos. You can still enjoy beer while managing calories and macros. You can stol enjoy less than perfect foods, you just don't need mountains of them.

Brackneyc
03-29-2012, 06:11 AM
Well according to Allen Aragan ( who has trained some of the best BBers, pro athletes and even fake pro wrestlers like Stone Cold Steve Austin) say's that you can gain 1lb. of lean muscle for every 2lbs of fat by doing nothing but eating at a surplus watching tv. and not doing any exercise. Dude I have only had like 4 beer's over the last 13 months!!!

Please cite the source for this, or the specific article.

Payton1221
03-29-2012, 06:14 AM
So basicly since Im just starting a bulk and since gaining fat and cutting fat is alot easier for me than gaining muscle,
Losing weight isn't that difficult, but losing only fat while retaining muscle requires a plan (both dietary and exercise). If you don't have a plan (or don't have a good one), then you won't accomplish anything.

Maxsuzaka
03-29-2012, 07:56 AM
I would never stop lifting, I enjoy it to much, infact I have to force myself everyday to leave the gym and not over train. I work out 7 days per week (lifting for 4 days) for the past 13 months. But If I can lift, eat 5,000-6000 calories per day instead of 3,000 per day I should be able to gain more lean muscle and even cut the extra fat faster than eating 3,000 calories per day, bulking, cutting, bulking and cutting. I dont mind gaining extra weight because I know I can cut it very fast.

Why do you want lean body mass? To look good? Health? Strength?
Extra abdominal fat is a serious cardiovascular health risk (read: heart attack) and its not just how fat you are today but how fat you've been over time, it's cumulative. So if health is your goal you are better off gaining slow steady lean mass over time.

Are you looking to improve physique? Then why get overly fat?

Is strength your goal? Go and read some body building and strength building programs, and the philosophy behind them. German volume training is designed to put on a lot of lean mass, many people go down in their 1rm doing this program. The theory is high reps, low volume. Strength programs focus on relatively heavy weight with low reps. If your calves get big because you are fat my guess is they will increase their endurance but not their power as you are essentially increasing the reps under relativly low weight. It's essentially a body building program not a strength program. But why use a body building program that requires you to get fat?

Just my thoughts.

OutOfStep
03-29-2012, 08:29 AM
I would never stop lifting, I enjoy it to much, infact I have to force myself everyday to leave the gym and not over train. I work out 7 days per week (lifting for 4 days) for the past 13 months. But If I can lift, eat 5,000-6000 calories per day instead of 3,000 per day I should be able to gain more lean muscle and even cut the extra fat faster than eating 3,000 calories per day, bulking, cutting, bulking and cutting. I dont mind gaining extra weight because I know I can cut it very fast.

Any LBM gained will likely all be lost when you do attempt to diet down. Cutting bodyfat while preserving LBM is both an art and a science that is lost on most people which is why you don't see many folks who possess both impressive size and low bodyfat levels.

Pike717
03-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Looking at your avi 3000 is still surplus. Bring a fat sss won't get you a 300 lb bench. I did a psycho bulk 2 years ago, gained 50 lbs. This bulk is much slower going, but I won't have to cut again. Based on your posts you have an unhealthy relationship with food, imo. Id rather look and feel good than stuff my face with doritos. You can still enjoy beer while managing calories and macros. You can stol enjoy less than perfect foods, you just don't need mountains of them. I weighed 213 lbs in my profile pic. and currently weigh 204lbs. From 213lbs down to 204 lbs I have ate 2,400 calories per day and just raised them 3,000. But dont need to get a 300lb bench, already got it.

Pike717
03-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Please cite the source for this, or the specific article. I Didnt supply the info, and would love to see the source etc. aswell.

Brackneyc
03-29-2012, 09:07 AM
I Didnt supply the info, and would love to see the source etc. aswell.

If it came from Alan, there is a source somewhere, even if it is a post on this forum. The 2:1 ratio of fat gained in relationship to muscle would be damn near impossible to do if that were the focus (with good diet and a solid routine), let alone being achieved by eating and sitting on the couch all day.

My guess is that ratio would be closer to 50:1. Ever see those shows about 600 lb men/women. They would be good examples of what you are advocating. How do they look.

Sounds like wishful thinking at best.

2nd_chance
03-29-2012, 09:08 AM
Is this thread a joke?

Marius_Ursus
03-29-2012, 09:10 AM
http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2012/3/29/173c7935-5a17-4d88-b0c8-6b208d0750d6.jpg

Brackneyc
03-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Is this thread a joke?

Yes

billb7581
03-29-2012, 09:12 AM
notsureifiamdoingrite now.

Pike717
03-29-2012, 09:16 AM
max & Out of step, thanks for the info.

tobymax123
03-29-2012, 09:17 AM
Is this thread a joke?
I probably don't post enough to come in here and bash a thread, and I'm normally not a negative person, but I have to make an exception for this one. Dumbest thread ever. Like I could be lazy for 10 years and gain 150 lbs, then lose 100 and have 50 lbs of new lean muscle? Then I could go enter a bodybuilding competition at a ripped 200 lb, yeah!!! The plan is all set.

billb7581
03-29-2012, 09:19 AM
I should just cut and I'll be jacked... cool man..

Yamar1
03-29-2012, 09:23 AM
Weight training just aids in partitioning. SOme people genetically have a good P-ratio - that is where extra calories are stored. So for some people over eating while not lifing can result in lean mass gain; other's not so much.

In either case more calories would be stored as muscle with the presents of weight lifting.

I personally know a guy huge and lean as fuuk who never lifted a day in his life. Bastard >:

THere was a study done. GO to youtube and search "why skinny people aren't fat" or something like that. A group of skinny dudes were put on a ridiculas calorie surplus diet for a number of weeks and body composition was measured. Exercises was prohibited. SOme guys gained a good bit of muscle mass, while other guys just got fat and other guys didn't gain much of anything.

The study was done to explore reasons why skinny people remain skinny. Very interesting indeed.

Brackneyc
03-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Weight training just aids in partitioning. SOme people genetically have a good P-ratio - that is where extra calories are stored. So for some people over eating while not lifing can result in lean mass gain; other's not so much.

In either case more calories would be stored as muscle with the presents of weight lifting.

I personally know a guy huge and lean as fuuk who never lifted a day in his life. Bastard >:

THere was a study done. GO to youtube and search "why skinny people aren't fat" or something like that. A group of skinny dudes were put on a ridiculas calorie surplus diet for a number of weeks and body composition was measured. Exercises was prohibited. SOme guys gained a good bit of muscle mass, while other guys just got fat and other guys didn't gain much of anything.

The study was done to explore reasons why skinny people remain skinny. Very interesting indeed.

Which only serves to illustrate that few people actually understand what a surplus means.

alan aragon
03-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Well according to Allen Aragan ( who has trained some of the best BBers, pro athletes and even fake pro wrestlers like Stone Cold Steve Austin) say's that you can gain 1lb. of lean muscle for every 2lbs of fat by doing nothing but eating at a surplus watching tv. and not doing any exercise. Dude I have only had like 4 beer's over the last 13 months!!!LOL, can you link me to where I've said that? I don't recall ever saying that.

Yamar1
03-29-2012, 05:15 PM
Which only serves to illustrate that few people actually understand what a surplus means.

Not really, did you see the study? BMR was measured and they were forced to over eat by a LOT. SOme had to drop out because their bodies started to reject the calories (regurgatating them). And like I pointed out most of them gained weight, some not so consistent with generic calculations. Some had a greater amount of weight stored as muscle despite lack of exercise while others (most) had a greater amount stored as fat.

This was an extension from a study done back in the 1940's on inmates. Guys were put on a diet as high as 10,000 calories per day to see how the body would respond. The results were shocking and obviously back then they couldn't be answered. Today it is better understood that there is a lot more to it then the "calories in vs calories out" theory. P-ratio is just as complex as to why it can vary so much from person to person. Most of it has to do with evolution.

Trigger543
03-29-2012, 05:19 PM
lulz, I love the over 35 section. repped OP, looking pretty good for an old fart such as yourself.

Brackneyc
03-29-2012, 05:36 PM
LOL, can you link me to where I've said that? I don't recall ever saying that.

Well, OP, we are waiting. Or are you using a name you "know" to back up more of you BS.

StressMonkey
03-29-2012, 05:42 PM
LOL, can you link me to where I've said that? I don't recall ever saying that.

Wow. *** just got real. :D

Pike717
03-30-2012, 09:47 PM
If it came from Alan, there is a source somewhere, even if it is a post on this forum. The 2:1 ratio of fat gained in relationship to muscle would be damn near impossible to do if that were the focus (with good diet and a solid routine), let alone being achieved by eating and sitting on the couch all day.

My guess is that ratio would be closer to 50:1. Ever see those shows about 600 lb men/women. They would be good examples of what you are advocating. How do they look.
Sounds like wishful thinking at best.I dont know?? Until it was pointed out to me that you could gain a significant amount of muscle (elsewhere) from getting fat and then reading Payton's post in this thread that you could aswell and quoting Allan Aragon, I thought it was impossible!! Except maybe gaining muscle in your legs and core etc. from supporting all that extra weight.

Pike717
03-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Is this thread a joke? I thought that gaining a significant amount of muscle by just gaining fat was a joke as well but wanted to ask here before I totally dismissed it as BS. But then Payton pretty much quoted Allan Aragon and stated that you could gain 1 lb of LM. for every 2 lb's of fat and those are the same stats that were told me by these people. And then when no one questioned him, I started thinking just maybe they wernt full of BS.

Pike717
03-30-2012, 09:57 PM
LOL, can you link me to where I've said that? I don't recall ever saying that. I never said you did!! Please re-read this thread, Payton stated it. And since no one here questioned it until you, I thought that there is a chance that he knows what he is talking about.

Pike717
03-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Well, OP, we are waiting. Or are you using a name you "know" to back up more of you BS. What are you talking about?? I have only ever posted using my handle. And what BS.? I never claimed anything!! I only asked questions about something that I thought was BS. but then again I had not a clue about, so I posted a thread to find the answer. I would rather ask a dumb question and learn, then to not ask and remain dumb.

Pike717
03-30-2012, 10:18 PM
LOL, can you link me to where I've said that? I don't recall ever saying that. Once again, I wasnt the person who brought your name up, but since your here could you give us the real #'s? for example Payton stated that you could gain 1lb. of LM. for every 2 lbs of fat you gain. Is this accurate? Close? or total BS? Thanks, Pike

Brackneyc
03-31-2012, 08:27 AM

Are those your words in the above quoted (bolded) post? If not, then I apologize. But, it sure looks like you are suggesting that "you" read the information.

But, to your point, the very notion (the topic of this thread) that you can "gain" muscle by doing nothing but eating crap and sitting around is ludicrous at best.

Mr. Aragon himself says he did not say this. /////End of thread.////

Pike717
03-31-2012, 09:15 AM
Are those your words in the above quoted (bolded) post? If not, then I apologize. But, it sure looks like you are suggesting that "you" read the information.
But, to your point, the very notion (the topic of this thread) that you can "gain" muscle by doing nothing but eating crap and sitting around is ludicrous at best.
Mr. Aragon himself says he did not say this. /////End of thread.//// No apology needed. If you look at post # 14 of this thread you will see that I didnt bring Allen Aragon into the conversation. But Once Payton quoted him and knowing how credable Allen Aragon is, and the fact that no one questioned Payton (at the time of my post that you quoted) I didnt know what to think!! And I try to give anyone that takes the time to try to help me and post's a response the benefit of the doubt.

Pike717
03-31-2012, 09:21 AM
lulz, I love the over 35 section. repped OP, looking pretty good for an old fart such as yourself. Trigger thanks!! Your looking pretty good aswell for being over the hill. I got to where I am by asking alot of questions, and yes some of them were dumb, but its far better to ask dumb questions in order to gain knowledge than it is to keep spinning in circles getting frustrated because I never learned the proper way to lift, cut and bulk etc. because I was to proud to admit I was clueless about these things and just winged it.