PDA

View Full Version : HIIT or LISS cardio in AM on empty stomach?

xcessive1
03-27-2012, 01:43 PM
Just as the title says. I'm planning on doing cardio in the morning's on an empty stomach & was wondering which would provide benefit without yielding negative results. Negative results being loss of muscle / strength since cardio will be done in a fasted state.

reps to thoughtful answers.

bakyhama
03-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Either.

It all comes down to which type of cardio you prefer and can stick to. From what I've seen, most people will say that HIIT is better in terms of efficiency, but I think the benefit over LISS is fairly small, and is completely meaningless if you hate doing it and can't stay consistent.

Many, like myself, prefer LISS. As long as you are putting a good effort into your cardio, the type will be irrelevant.

xcessive1
03-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Either.

It all comes down to which type of cardio you prefer and can stick to. From what I've seen, most people will say that HIIT is better in terms of efficiency, but I think the benefit over LISS is fairly small, and is completely meaningless if you hate doing it and can't stay consistent.

Many, like myself, prefer LISS. As long as you are putting a good effort into your cardio, the type will be irrelevant.

ok, I prefer HIIT cause it only takes 10-15 min for one session. Just didnt know if it would yield muscle loss instead of fat burning since I'd be doing it in a fasted state.

bakyhama
03-27-2012, 02:00 PM
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fasted-cardio-and-fat-loss-qa.html

^ Take a look at that if you're going out of your way to do fasted AM cardio. In short, being fasted is not a major factor for cardio's effectiveness, and really only has an effect on those who are already lean. So do your cardio whenever you can.

In terms of muscle loss, as long as your diet is in check, you have nothing to worry about.

-Michelangelo-
03-27-2012, 02:15 PM
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fasted-cardio-and-fat-loss-qa.html

^ Take a look at that if you're going out of your way to do fasted AM cardio. In short, being fasted is not a major factor for cardio's effectiveness, and really only has an effect on those who are already lean. So do your cardio whenever you can.

In terms of muscle loss, as long as your diet is in check, you have nothing to worry about.

I second everything baky says here. Lyle McDonald is also the best person to get your info from for fat loss. Unless you're under 10% BF It's about calories in vs calories out. Also I would add that when choosing HIIT over LISS, basically chose not only what you prefer to do most but what will burn the most total calories for you most easily. If you burn 500 calories doing 60min LISS, but only 200 calories doing 15min of HIIT, do LISS. If you burn more calories doing 15min of HITT then you burn when doing 60 min of LISS, do HITT. In my opinion, LISS is usually better than HITT simply because people tend to burn more calories doing LISS than HITT, and because you can really only do HITT sparingly (taxing on the legs) but you can do LISS everyday. but to each his own.

xcessive1
03-27-2012, 05:59 PM
Thank you both. Repped as well.

I'm under 15% so fasted seems the option to go, but doing liss would be better I assume.

LiftToWin
03-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Thank you both. Repped as well.

I'm under 15% so fasted seems the option to go, but doing liss would be better I assume.

Do whatever you can do on a regular basis. Whatever you can stick to and whatever burns more calories is the better option.

Chemistryguy85
03-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Lyle McDonald has an exceptional series of articles reviewing the benefits of both HIIT and LISS on his website.

In the Ultimate Diet 2.0, McDonald proclaims cardio to be superfluous for most men.