Purely personal preference!

nobrah
03-27-2012, 06:50 AM
hello everyone
before wo i usually assume something like 80g of carbs
does have sense to split those carbs?

1.5 hrs pre wo:40g from oatmeals
30 minuts pre wo: 40g from waxy maize starch

Faster absorbing carbs are better consumed closer to your workout and slower absorbing carbs further away. Exact timing really depends on the amount you're eating and what other macros are involved, such that trial and error is probably the best way to find what works for you.

naturalguy
03-27-2012, 06:51 AM
Trial and error, it's different for everyone. You have to find what is comfortable for you

CoachShredder
03-27-2012, 07:09 AM
olmo93, I like where your heads at. However, I wouldn't worry so much about splitting the pre-workout carb; I can't see it making much of a difference. You'd be better off to do a 2nd carb half way into your workout. Learned this one from Ben Pakulski.
- Do your pre-workout as you've suggested
- 30min into lift - mix fast digesting carb (Quadri Carb, or other powder) with BCAA's
- Post lift - typical carb load
Hope that works for ya. Seen tremendous results when this is executed properly.

Scraff
03-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Faster absorbing carbs are better consumed closer to your workout and slower absorbing carbs further away. Exact timing really depends on the amount you're eating and what other macros are involved, such that trial and error is probably the best way to find what works for you.
Do you realize this is the opposite of what posters like Alan Aragon say on this subject? Do you have a cite for these claims?

nobrah
03-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Do you realize this is the opposite of what posters like Alan Aragon say on this subject? Do you have a cite for these claims?
A citation for what? That faster absorbing carbs absorb faster than slower absorbing carbs? :rolleyes: I suspect what you mean by throwing out Alan's name is that meal timing is largely irrelevant for body composition, which while correct, isn't contradictory with my recommendation because I was focusing on energy for the workout.

Scraff
03-27-2012, 01:11 PM
A citation for what? That faster absorbing carbs absorb faster than slower absorbing carbs?
No, a citation that it is better to consume faster absorbing carbs close to workouts and slower carbs further away from workouts.

my recommendation because I was focusing on energy for the workout
More energy for workouts? Cite?

nobrah
03-27-2012, 01:31 PM
No, a citation that it is better to consume faster absorbing carbs close to workouts and slower carbs further away from workouts.

More energy for workouts? Cite?

Apologies for not being 100% clear. By "more energy" I meant being able to go longer without becoming fatigued. However, I cede the point for now. After a brief search for confirming studies, I also found studies showing that carb intake before a workout can be counterproductive in durations shorter than 2 hours. Without further personal research on the matter, I won't try to defend my position's merit as it becomes increasingly anecdotal.