PDA

View Full Version : Whey protein's fast digestion is its downfall?

jrslim
03-26-2012, 11:48 PM
A quick question on protein digestion.

Just checked out this study that points towards the rapid digestion of isolated protein powders as a negative in terms of its ability to maintain a postprandial anabolic state.

I can't post links, but if you google "Compared with casein or total milk protein, digestion of milk soluble proteins is too rapid to sustain the anabolic postprandial amino acid requirement" it is the first link.

Have you guys seen this study before, and any thoughts on its validity?

I have read elsewhere that consuming other foods with protein generally negates these concerns, but I can't really find where in the study it talks about how the protein was taken.

thegymbum
03-28-2012, 07:32 AM
I think that's why it's often recommended to take in whey immediately after a workout (when cells are most able to rapidly take up amino acids), and slower digesting proteins at other times. One thing to keep in mind is that the study doesn't discuss the implications of having high or low blood amino acid levels. In turn it doesn't really cover whether it's actually important to keep levels high. A lot of studies show that it doesn't matter when you get the amino acids in, as longa s you get them in at some point in the day. So I think it's kind of a debatable finding.

davidli2012
04-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Whey protein has its uses as an effective post workout meal, but all experienced lifters know to get their protein from a variety of sources. Your body is naturally more receptive toward food in its natural form (whole, unprocessed), so all other times outside of pre- and post workout it's a lot better to stick to whole food sources such as fish, beef, and egg whites.

Chemdog1ID
04-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Depending on the day and what work out is in store i actually mix my proteins sometimes, Casein and Whey, because for me it gives me the quick protein I need from the whey, but also sustains it over a longer period from the casein. Also, those canned tuna's are as little as 80 cents a pop, so I always have a large stack of them on hand, in my car, at work, and my gym bag. It's always a good munchie and as dacidli2012 said, it's better to get a variety no matter what supp you are taking.

712blaster712
05-19-2012, 04:46 AM
I think that's why it's often recommended to take in whey immediately after a workout (when cells are most able to rapidly take up amino acids), and slower digesting proteins at other times. One thing to keep in mind is that the study doesn't discuss the implications of having high or low blood amino acid levels. In turn it doesn't really cover whether it's actually important to keep levels high. A lot of studies show that it doesn't matter when you get the amino acids in, as longa s you get them in at some point in the day. So I think it's kind of a debatable finding.

i would keep amino acid pool up all the time. consistent intake every 2-4 hours, casein, whey, egg albumen etc

tontyboy
05-19-2012, 05:45 AM
sounds like overthinking it.

Try and go without, or replace whey solely with caesin, or solely with milk etc.

Keep a detailed log of weight, measurements and workout log, and then compare what happened to come to the best fit for you.

Happy experimenting!

jnip23141
05-20-2012, 05:52 AM
i would keep amino acid pool up all the time. consistent intake every 2-4 hours, casein, whey, egg albumen etc

this seriously isn't necessary AT ALL.. NET anabolism vs. NET catabolism at the end of the day as a function of caloric/macronutreint intake and energy balance is all that matters.

jnip23141
05-20-2012, 05:54 AM
A quick question on protein digestion.

Just checked out this study that points towards the rapid digestion of isolated protein powders as a negative in terms of its ability to maintain a postprandial anabolic state.

I can't post links, but if you google "Compared with casein or total milk protein, digestion of milk soluble proteins is too rapid to sustain the anabolic postprandial amino acid requirement" it is the first link.

Have you guys seen this study before, and any thoughts on its validity?

I have read elsewhere that consuming other foods with protein generally negates these concerns, but I can't really find where in the study it talks about how the protein was taken.

its been shown time and time again that nutrient timing really doesn't matter man so the speed of digestion of any protein is completely irrelevant

Mean_Bean
05-24-2012, 06:46 AM
back on topic...
The rapid digestion of whey by your body isn't make it inherently "good" or "bad". It is what it is.
Use that knowledge (and the knowledge of the digestion rates of other types of proteins for that matter) to build yourself an optimal diet.
Different proteins should be ingested at different point(s) throughout the day.
For example, a mix of cassein AND whey post workout has shown to more beneficial than whey alone. This is why the incorporation of milk in a pro drink is a good choice.
Other than that, just eat a variety, don't over-think it.

tden99
05-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Did anyone here besides jnip read Alan Aragons giant bolded post (and the rest of the stickies) saying that meal timing is irrelevant in the grand scheme of hitting macronutrients. Why would you need to ingest protein every 2-4 hours? Just eat what you want as long as you hit your macros. Liquid calories suck because they aren't filling in my opinion. Your body doesn't just take in a little of the protein and then dispose of the rest, its extremely efficient with the given intake of protein regardless of source. You do need a variety of Amino Acid profiles which means you should just vary the sources.