PDA

View Full Version : budget diet

nicholas93
03-26-2012, 04:11 PM
i have exactly 142 dollars every month to buy food and supplements. i go to school from 8 to 4 almost everyday and very busy with the studies. It hurts my soul that i dont have enough money to build a strong diet. so my questions is what kind of diet to lose fat do i make with only that money?

ironwill2008
03-26-2012, 04:23 PM
The first thing you need to do is to figure out exactly how much of each macro you need and then work on your shopping list from there. This thread will help you figure your requirements of P/C/F/calories:
*Emma-Leigh's calorie/macro thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Some general ideas for shopping on a tight budget; clip coupons; watch the newspaper for sales on staples (such as rice, pasta, oatmeal and potatoes) and then stock up. Buy fattier cuts of beef and bone-in chicken thighs on sale in quantity, and freeze them.

As far as supps are concerned, even just decent-quality whey protein may be out of reach; don't buy the cheap chinese-based stuff. There's no real need for any other supplement if your budget is so tight.

Where there's a will, there's always a way.

HitTheFloor
03-26-2012, 04:38 PM
i have exactly 142 dollars every month to buy food and supplements. i go to school from 8 to 4 almost everyday and very busy with the studies. It hurts my soul that i dont have enough money to build a strong diet. so my questions is what kind of diet to lose fat do i make with only that money?

I work in the Grocery business; Are you on food stamps? Or is it just your budget that allows for $142.00 dollars every month? Depending on if you are or not I can give you some advice regarding what you can and cannot buy on FS.

I assume you have your own kitchen to cook in, stove, microwave, oven, etc.

Buy large bags of rice; CHECK THE TAGS IN THE STORE! I can't stress that enough. Each tag generally has a price in $ amounts per oz/gram of product. Always get the cheapest one you can when buying bulk rice.
I suggest brown rice on a cut or on a bulk since it's not enriched.

Buy chicken that is on markdown/soon out of date and freeze what you don't plan on using that day/next day.

Buy lentils for days you can't find or don't have any frozen chicken that was on mark down. High protein, not difficult to cook, taste is alright.

Buy the 2 dozen/3 dozen (Depending on store/area) big egg box. Read your price per OZ to make sure it's a better deal compared to what might be on sale.
I'd prefer the eggs that have free range (Marketing scheme for the most part) or something a little bit healthier than just the usual mechanical farmed egg.

Cut coupons/print them on rice,eggs,chicken,etc.

You can have a bland diet of rice/chicken/lentils/eggs and live very under budget. Using the other money to spice life up a bit with cheat days, or higher priced beef, fish if you like fish, or anything different.

Also for vegetables buy the frozen bags that are on sale, remember to check the price/oz and find the cheapest.

Protip; shake the frozen bag before going home. A lot of the frozen bags get crushed and have holes in them that will cause you to waste time going back to the store.
Same thing with rice, lentils, check your eggs too.

Edit; in b4 TLDR.
Listen to this while shopping for increased motivation.
ll5ykbAumD4

FitnessCPA
03-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Oats, frozen chicken, rice, beans, potatoes, pasta, eggs, olive oil, and peanut butter, off the top of my head.

Make sure to include some fruits and vegetables even though they are not cheap on a per calorie basis. Oranges are cheap now. Broccoli and carrots are about the cheapest vegetables.

Oats: $7.39 at Costco for 10 pounds, or about 113 half-cup servings of 150 calories each. $0.44 per 1,000 calories
Pasta: $0.79/box on sale (1 pound), or about seven servings of 210 calories each. $0.54 per 1,000 calories
Eggs: $1.79/dozen, or $0.99 on sale. On sale that is only $1.18 per 1,000 calories.
Etc.

Make the calorically dense foods your staples, then round out with fruits, vegetables, etc.

If you plan it out, this could be done.

nicholas93
03-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the info, i live in Sweden so somethings here are more expensive, but my diet for now is alot of oats, lentis and can of tunas, chicken that has soon of date and sometimes i go with eggs. I never though boying in bulk but now if it saves me money ill do it.
I work in the Grocery business; Are you on food stamps? Or is it just your budget that allows for $142.00 dollars every month? Depending on if you are or not I can give you some advice regarding what you can and cannot buy on FS.

I assume you have your own kitchen to cook in, stove, microwave, oven, etc.

Buy large bags of rice; CHECK THE TAGS IN THE STORE! I can't stress that enough. Each tag generally has a price in $ amounts per oz/gram of product. Always get the cheapest one you can when buying bulk rice.
I suggest brown rice on a cut or on a bulk since it's not enriched.

Buy chicken that is on markdown/soon out of date and freeze what you don't plan on using that day/next day.

Buy lentils for days you can't find or don't have any frozen chicken that was on mark down. High protein, not difficult to cook, taste is alright.

Buy the 2 dozen/3 dozen (Depending on store/area) big egg box. Read your price per OZ to make sure it's a better deal compared to what might be on sale.
I'd prefer the eggs that have free range (Marketing scheme for the most part) or something a little bit healthier than just the usual mechanical farmed egg.

Cut coupons/print them on rice,eggs,chicken,etc.

You can have a bland diet of rice/chicken/lentils/eggs and live very under budget. Using the other money to spice life up a bit with cheat days, or higher priced beef, fish if you like fish, or anything different.

Also for vegetables buy the frozen bags that are on sale, remember to check the price/oz and find the cheapest.

Protip; shake the frozen bag before going home. A lot of the frozen bags get crushed and have holes in them that will cause you to waste time going back to the store.
Same thing with rice, lentils, check your eggs too.

Edit; in b4 TLDR.
Listen to this while shopping for increased motivation.
ll5ykbAumD4