PDA

View Full Version : Loose weight fast or slow?

Kordath
03-26-2012, 12:27 AM
Hi,

The sticky threads seems pretty messy so I'm starting a new one :-P.

I want to get ripped and get a body like Ryan Reynolds, David Beckham etc and not like Ronnie Coleman :-).

My questions is though, what approach should I aim for? Lose weight faster or slow? I've calculated my values and lowered the calories result with 20% but maybe I should change them to 10% instead and get a slower weight loss?

ErikTheElectric
03-26-2012, 12:28 AM
just an FYI it's spelled "lose" not "loose".

Kordath
03-26-2012, 12:31 AM
just an FYI it's spelled "lose" not "loose".

Changed in the text but don't know how to change the thread name.

Thanks

Foadon
03-26-2012, 12:52 AM
20% is fine. I thought by "fast" you were thinking about 1000-1500kcal deficits :) if you lose 1lb a week you are on the most acceptable track (if you are very overweight you can lose more by exercise easily)
As many also say though: run your kcal program for x weeks, and see what the results are. you can change to less or more kcals depending on how hard it is to follow/ how much/little you are losing. But wait till you have enough of a sample size to determine results

fikshunn
03-26-2012, 12:54 AM
20% deficit is fine. You will still need to exercise to get a ripped body. The diet is the most important though.

Kordath
03-26-2012, 01:47 AM
I'm eating 2200 calories/day and I excercise 7 days a week where 2 days involves 20min cardio after breakfast and 20 minutes in the evening. My current weight is 83,5kg and I lost from yesterday to today 1kg. I'm not very overweight but I used to be at 75kg.

At first I made some wrong calculations but as soon as I corrected them and decreased my calorie intake even more (10% were the old value) to 20% I noticed a difference immediately.

chevro1et
03-26-2012, 02:37 AM
The quicker you shed weight the higher the potential for losing muscle mass as well as body fat. Just be aware.

mattypoole
03-26-2012, 02:41 AM
20% deficit is fine. You will still need to exercise to get a ripped body. The diet is the most important though.

Wrong.

A deficit is all you need to get "ripped", be it by eating less, exercising more, or a combination of both.

The quicker you shed weight the higher the potential for losing muscle mass as well as body fat. Just be aware.

^^This is very important to note.

psychodiver9
03-26-2012, 02:44 AM
Op you should pm the user Ion26 as you seem to have the same "bodybuilding" goals

mattypoole
03-26-2012, 02:45 AM
Op you should pm the user Ion26 as you seem to have the same "bodybuilding" goals

lol @ dat dare nutmiscer

Kordath
03-26-2012, 03:17 AM
Wrong.

A deficit is all you need to get "ripped", be it by eating less, exercising more, or a combination of both.

Well but to compare to hollywood actors, don't they build a massive body in like 3 months? Don't they have a lot of weight loss aswell as fat loss? Do they use a lower deficit?

Kordath
03-26-2012, 03:23 AM

Don't know how I should reply to that but I'm new to this and I'm after a fitness body and not the pure bodybuilding like the ones that compete. Since this forum and website has the right kind of information you can choose between either of those

The examples was just to differentiate that and I'm trying to figure out how this should work because I've been working out before, 6 times a week but I didn't achieve the goals I was after due to my dietary plan was off the chart. I'm just here to learn.

mattypoole
03-26-2012, 03:31 AM
Well but to compare to hollywood actors, don't they build a massive body in like 3 months? Don't they have a lot of weight loss aswell as fat loss? Do they use a lower deficit?

Not without dat dare celltech.

You don't go from natural to 'omfg his bicep just took out that bus' in three months naturally.

A lower deficit will reduce the risks of losing muscle/minimise muscle loss, but achieving some freaky physique for natties takes a lot of hard work (in terms of nutrition and training) over an extended period of time.

Kordath
03-26-2012, 03:39 AM
Not without dat dare celltech.

You don't go from natural to 'omfg his bicep just took out that bus' in three months naturally.

A lower deficit will reduce the risks of losing muscle/minimise muscle loss, but achieving some freaky physique for natties takes a lot of hard work (in terms of nutrition and training) over an extended period of time.

Haha nah I don't expect miracles. Just trying to understand everything. But the conclusion is that I should perhaps raise my calories back to 10%. Since I lost 1kg during 1 day.

mattypoole
03-26-2012, 03:51 AM
Haha nah I don't expect miracles. Just trying to understand everything. But the conclusion is that I should perhaps raise my calories back to 10%. Since I lost 1kg during 1 day.

OK cool, always better to have realistic expectations ":)

You'll typically lose weight quickly at first, mainly due to water weight.

At a daily calorie deficit of 500 calories you should be losing around 1 pound a week. That's probably a good starting point that you can 'tweak' as you see what your results are like on the scale.

Foadon
03-26-2012, 03:52 AM
conclusion is raise calories to 10% ? where did you get that from Oo

your deficit didn't make you lose 1kg in 1 day... water and/or weight fluctuation did. 20% deficit ends up at around 500kcal deficit for you(? - too lazy to do all the math) and that equals 3500kcal a week = 1lb of fat loss a week

if you think that 1kg you lost was all fat, then you had a 7000kcal deficit yesterday. if this has to be stated then you have a lot of reading to do :)

Kordath
03-26-2012, 04:08 AM
conclusion is raise calories to 10% ? where did you get that from Oo

your deficit didn't make you lose 1kg in 1 day... water and/or weight fluctuation did. 20% deficit ends up at around 500kcal deficit for you(? - too lazy to do all the math) and that equals 3500kcal a week = 1lb of fat loss a week

if you think that 1kg you lost was all fat, then you had a 7000kcal deficit yesterday. if this has to be stated then you have a lot of reading to do :)

I lowered my calories with 20%, if I raise it 10%. I'll get a 10% deficit... No I have done all the math but from the beginning it was all wrong. My calories resulted at 2800 and I lowered it with 10% at first which landed at 2420 calories. After that I used that calculations and I experienced very slow result so I lowered it even more to even see if it worked. So i lowered it 20% down to 2160 and got that result right away.

Like I said before, I'm just trying to figure this out.

And yeah the 20% deficit almost ended up at 500kcal deficit.

Kordath
03-26-2012, 04:25 AM
OK cool, always better to have realistic expectations ":)

You'll typically lose weight quickly at first, mainly due to water weight.

At a daily calorie deficit of 500 calories you should be losing around 1 pound a week. That's probably a good starting point that you can 'tweak' as you see what your results are like on the scale.

Thanks I'll try that :-).

Need to get me an american measure cup or something. The Swedish sites aren't that good with the calorie charts. At the moment I'm just measuring with my fist.

Kordath
03-26-2012, 04:32 AM
One last thing though. When you cook food, do you guys use a food scale to measure the amount of oz?

chevro1et
03-26-2012, 04:49 AM
I have started measuring most things, ut haven't been overly concerned since I was bulking. Gonna start a slow cut next week, aiming for ~300 kcal deficit (~3lb/ month loss) for about 3 months, then go on vacation back to Canada for July and farkin' eat whatever the hell I want. Starting next week, I will be very fastidious about weights and measures.

mattypoole
03-26-2012, 05:07 AM
One last thing though. When you cook food, do you guys use a food scale to measure the amount of oz?

Being on a cut myself, I make a point of knowing every calorie I put in my mouth.

TBH I don't use a scale, only because I buy it in pre measured amounts for which I know exactly the calories for. I do use a measuring spoon etc when using sauces/mayonnaise/etc to try and get as much accuracy with my intake as possible.