PDA

View Full Version : I feel like a YO-Yo

Foxyladie
03-24-2012, 04:31 PM
I am getting extremely frustrated. I was doing really well for about 90 days and then my life turned upside down. I'm struggling just to survive at this point and I know my nutrition is suffering big time.

I gained 12lbs in the last 30 days between DR Appointments. Every time I get just under 130lbs I seem to bounce right back up to almost 140lbs. The worst part is that according to my Dr.'s measurements i'm at 24.5%BF (electronic) which for my height is bordering on obese. I could really use some advise.

I shop at the $1 stores and had to cancel my gym membership.

I eat mostly salads with peppers, cucumber, asparagus, tomatoes grilled chicken and fruits I usually find consist of strawberries, blackberries, and apples

I do weigh my food to get the most accurate level of calories in vs out, I'm averaging about 1200 a day. I'm sure this is probably low.

Suggestions and advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

big lew
03-24-2012, 04:54 PM
I am getting extremely frustrated. I was doing really well for about 90 days and then my life turned upside down. I'm struggling just to survive at this point and I know my nutrition is suffering big time.

I gained 12lbs in the last 30 days between DR Appointments. Every time I get just under 130lbs I seem to bounce right back up to almost 140lbs. The worst part is that according to my Dr.'s measurements i'm at 24.5%BF (electronic) which for my height is bordering on obese. I could really use some advise.

I shop at the $1 stores and had to cancel my gym membership.

I eat mostly salads with peppers, cucumber, asparagus, tomatoes grilled chicken and fruits I usually find consist of strawberries, blackberries, and apples

I do weigh my food to get the most accurate level of calories in vs out, I'm averaging about 1200 a day. I'm sure this is probably low.

Suggestions and advice greatly appreciated

Thanks
how long have you been eating 1200 calories? that is the minimal calories recommended for females. If you have been low carb dieting, you will gain "weight" back due to glycogen stores and intracellular water. You need to find your TDEE and subtract 10-15% from that and stick with it. You will see better, lasting results.
DO NOT focus on your weight. It can be deceiving. Unless, of course, you are eating a surplus of calories. In that case, you will have to cut back.

Foxyladie
03-24-2012, 04:57 PM
how long have you been eating 1200 calories? that is the minimal calories recommended for females. If you have been low carb dieting, you will gain "weight" back due to glycogen stores and intracellular water. You need to find your TDEE and subtract 10-15% from that and stick with it. You will see better, lasting results.
DO NOT focus on your weight. It can be deceiving. Unless, of course, you are eating a surplus of calories. In that case, you will have to cut back.

I don't know what you mean by TDEE. I'm not trying to "low carb" diet, its a necessity with my food allergies. Its very difficult to eat anything manufactured as i'm allergic to the corn protein and hyper sensitive to gluten. I can eat it but i feel like crap afterward. Suggestions??

Rowyn
03-24-2012, 06:25 PM
I am getting extremely frustrated. I was doing really well for about 90 days and then my life turned upside down.

Sorry to hear, but glad to see you back:). What happened with you nutrition-wise when your life turned upside down? My guess is that you over-ate from stress, as many of us do. When you overeat, you gain. And if you had been dieting tightly prior to that, you can "prime" your body to put weight back on pretty rapidly.

Your maintenance is probably right around 2000 calories, you should be able to cut a lb a week at 1500. So yes, 1200 is lower than you need to go. What was your caloric intake when you were doing well for that 90 days? If it was very low, you may need a diet break. Aside from protein, you need a decent amount of fat, which you did not list. I don't eat much in processed carbs myself, just by choice. Vegs and fruits are carbs too, of course, as are components of dairy products.

Hope things get better soon :(

Foxyladie
03-24-2012, 06:39 PM
Sorry to hear, but glad to see you back:). What happened with you nutrition-wise when your life turned upside down? My guess is that you over-ate from stress, as many of us do. When you overeat, you gain. And if you had been dieting tightly prior to that, you can "prime" your body to put weight back on pretty rapidly.

Your maintenance is probably right around 2000 calories, you should be able to cut a lb a week at 1500. So yes, 1200 is lower than you need to go. What was your caloric intake when you were doing well for that 90 days? If it was very low, you may need a diet break. Aside from protein, you need a decent amount of fat, which you did not list. I don't eat much in processed carbs myself, just by choice. Vegs and fruits are carbs too, of course, as are components of dairy products.

Hope things get better soon :(

I was at about1500-1700 and hitting the gym twice a day, buying food at whole foods etc pretty good diet, but I finished my GIBill benefits and school and can't seem to find a job, so it probably was mostly stress and not eating hardly at all. My biggest problem is that I'm not a stress eater I'm a non eater, can go days on just coffee when i'm stressed. its a bad habit from the military unfortunately.

I definitely need help with what foods i can get on a cheap budget.

Rowyn
03-24-2012, 06:54 PM
I was at about1500-1700 and hitting the gym twice a day, buying food at whole foods etc pretty good diet, but I finished my GIBill benefits and school and can't seem to find a job, so it probably was mostly stress and not eating hardly at all. My biggest problem is that I'm not a stress eater I'm a non eater, can go days on just coffee when i'm stressed. its a bad habit from the military unfortunately.

I definitely need help with what foods i can get on a cheap budget.

So the caloric intake I suggested had been working, which is a good thing as you weren't too low in your deficit and screwing around with your hormonal levels and such.

I don't think anyone needs the gym twice a day unless its something they like to do (lifting and taking classes, for example), so not something I would recommend. I assume with no gym membership lifting is out? Have you checked the local Y?

Buy in bulk, frozen chicken breasts in big bags are always cheaper. Chicken thighs are often the cheapest, just cut the extra fat off that tends to hang around the edges. Eye of round beef comes in large chunks, its generally cheaper because its more lean and less desirable. I cut it into steaks and marinate and then BARELY sear on the grill on both sides, overcook it and its inedible lol. I freeze portions of it already cooked to eat later. Lettuces and vegs that are not pre-washed/cut/bagged are cheaper. Peanut butter is cheap. Since you can't eat most oatmeal type things unless they are the very expensive gluten-free varieties, you can make a similar type of breakfast cooking buckwheat groats and millet. Though not sure how much cheaper that would be, never priced it out.

jennlo4
03-24-2012, 06:59 PM
wow this sounds like me :| how are you doing ??

jennlo4
03-24-2012, 07:00 PM
except i deserve it... eating 600-800 cals then going to 2000 :/ I hope you are ok! and figure everything out!!!

Foxyladie
03-24-2012, 07:15 PM
So the caloric intake I suggested had been working, which is a good thing as you weren't too low in your deficit and screwing around with your hormonal levels and such.

I don't think anyone needs the gym twice a day unless its something they like to do (lifting and taking classes, for example), so not something I would recommend. I assume with no gym membership lifting is out? Have you checked the local Y?

Buy in bulk, frozen chicken breasts in big bags are always cheaper. Chicken thighs are often the cheapest, just cut the extra fat off that tends to hang around the edges. Eye of round beef comes in large chunks, its generally cheaper because its more lean and less desirable. I cut it into steaks and marinate and then BARELY sear on the grill on both sides, overcook it and its inedible lol. I freeze portions of it already cooked to eat later. Lettuces and vegs that are not pre-washed/cut/bagged are cheaper. Peanut butter is cheap. Since you can't eat most oatmeal type things unless they are the very expensive gluten-free varieties, you can make a similar type of breakfast cooking buckwheat groats and millet. Though not sure how much cheaper that would be, never priced it out.

I did buy some quinoa and flaxseed that I need to steam. its $$$ but it last a while.i get what i can fresh at the $1 store which surprisingly is good. Last week they had 2lb eggplants for $1. I'll have to make a special trip to costco tomorrow i guess to get the chicken and round beef.

for they gym i was a member at crunch weights and cardio in the AM and classes in the evening, I mostly did yoga and anti gravity yoga which was amazing for my back. :)

itsagoodday
03-24-2012, 07:53 PM
You're getting great advice! I will add though, as a celiac, that getting into gluten can make me blow up in weight very rapidly. I actually weigh myself every morning, not because I give a cr@p what my weight is that often, but because if I suddenly see a 3+ pound gain overnight, it's my earliest warning sign that I've been glutened again. It's very much a water retention issue, it's not like I gain poundage of fat overnight. If you see a sudden weight gain, verify if you've added anything new that could be a problem.

You very much have my sympathy with the price of the gluten free foods, they can be terribly expensive. Quinoa is a staple for me. Also amaranth, buckwheat and the gluten-free tagged oatmeal as far as grains go. Nuts are a big source of fats for me, as I also have problems with dairy. Yes, buy bulk and freeze leftovers whenever you can. When the farmer's markets open in your area this year, buy fruit and veggies from them for less than you'd pay at the grocery store, and again freeze the extra. Good luck to you!

Foxyladie
03-24-2012, 08:52 PM
You're getting great advice! I will add though, as a celiac, that getting into gluten can make me blow up in weight very rapidly. I actually weigh myself every morning, not because I give a cr@p what my weight is that often, but because if I suddenly see a 3+ pound gain overnight, it's my earliest warning sign that I've been glutened again. It's very much a water retention issue, it's not like I gain poundage of fat overnight. If you see a sudden weight gain, verify if you've added anything new that could be a problem.

You very much have my sympathy with the price of the gluten free foods, they can be terribly expensive. Quinoa is a staple for me. Also amaranth, buckwheat and the gluten-free tagged oatmeal as far as grains go. Nuts are a big source of fats for me, as I also have problems with dairy. Yes, buy bulk and freeze leftovers whenever you can. When the farmer's markets open in your area this year, buy fruit and veggies from them for less than you'd pay at the grocery store, and again freeze the extra. Good luck to you!

Thanks for the info. My earliest warning sign unfortunately is not the weight gain. I get a few small itchy water blisters around my neck and shoulders within 30-60 min. :(
being in los angeles we have an abundance of farmers markets, although they are $$ still.

itsagoodday
03-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the info. My earliest warning sign unfortunately is not the weight gain. I get a few small itchy water blisters around my neck and shoulders within 30-60 min. :(
being in los angeles we have an abundance of farmers markets, although they are $$ still.

I forgot to look at your location when I mentioned seasonal farmer's markets. Where I am in the northeast, ours are only open about six months out of the year, but at least they are cheaper when they're around. And suggesting trying to grow some of your own veggies isn't going to work in the middle of L.A. either, I imagine. Not very helpful here, sorry about that!