PDA

View Full Version : When calculating my needs

cferr839000
03-23-2012, 09:16 AM
Should I reevaluate when I lose weight? Or should I stay the same? When I originally calculated it, I thought I needed about 2300 calories, but apparently I needed more. I have lose weight only doing the 2300 calories, but I have only lost about 10 lbs, should I be losing more for my height of 5 ft 10? My original weight was 196. I am confused. I want to do this right, but I need help. I recalculated today and I used my original weight and it says I need about 2700 calories just to maintain....but I have been under this and lost about 10 lbs but I can't seem to lose anymore.....am I doing something wrong? Can someone private message me for some one on one advice? I am getting frustrated because I am not seeing the results I want. I can send you my diet plan that I have been following for weeks and maybe that could help explain it to some one. HELP ME PLEASE!

germaine07
03-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Re-calculate your caloric needs with new weight would be my advice.

BloodySalad
03-23-2012, 09:23 AM
As you lose weight, you require less calories to maintain it. Your BMR reduces.
You therefore compensate by lowering calories or upping your exercise rate to burn more.

If you are still losing weight though, no need to do anything. Dieting is about cutting the bare minimum that you can get away with. Eventually, your weight loss will stall and you'll have no choice but to cut. Look to lose between 1 and 2lbs a week. No more than that.

cferr839000
03-23-2012, 09:27 AM
As you lose weight, you require less calories to maintain it. Your BMR reduces.
You therefore compensate by lowering calories or upping your exercise rate to burn more.

If you are still losing weight though, no need to do anything. Dieting is about cutting the bare minimum that you can get away with. Eventually, your weight loss will stall and you'll have no choice but to cut. Look to lose between 1 and 2lbs a week. No more than that.I am trying to cut now, but I don't think I am eating enough, but at the same time I do not want to over eat and put weight back on. I am looking to find my calorie maitenence level and do 90% of that to cut. Once I cut to where I wanna be, I will reevaluate and see what I should be eating to bulk up....Does this sound right?

cferr839000
03-23-2012, 10:02 AM
Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

chameleonism
03-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Just stick with a caloric deficit of 500 to 750 and you should lose anywhere from 1-1.5lbs/week.

cferr839000
03-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Just stick with a caloric deficit of 500 to 750 and you should lose anywhere from 1-1.5lbs/week.That is what I have been doing, I have been keeping my carbs lower in order to lower my calorie intake. Is that not right?

chameleonism
03-23-2012, 10:37 AM
If you are truly at a 500-750 daily caloric deficit, fat will come off of you. If you are actually stalling, you can try a cheat meal, those help some people. However, it is likely you are still losing fat and you just need to be more patient. It only comes off so fast. You could also post a picture so we can get an idea of what your BF% actually is.

cferr839000
03-23-2012, 10:42 AM
If you are truly at a 500-750 daily caloric deficit, fat will come off of you. If you are actually stalling, you can try a cheat meal, those help some people. However, it is likely you are still losing fat and you just need to be more patient. It only comes off so fast. You could also post a picture so we can get an idea of what your BF% actually is.What about bulking?

cferr839000
03-23-2012, 10:43 AM
If you are truly at a 500-750 daily caloric deficit, fat will come off of you. If you are actually stalling, you can try a cheat meal, those help some people. However, it is likely you are still losing fat and you just need to be more patient. It only comes off so fast. You could also post a picture so we can get an idea of what your BF% actually is.Well from what you have read from my other posts, what do you think my caloric intake should be to maintain? Maybe I am getting a different number.

chameleonism
03-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Well from what you have read from my other posts, what do you think my caloric intake should be to maintain? Maybe I am getting a different number.

I have no idea what your maintenance is and it sounds like you are not sure either. Calculate it using the formulas and go test it out for a couple of weeks and see if you gain/lose/maintain and make adjustments from there. The formulas are only a guide as people have different BMRs, exercise routines, etc.

cferr839000
03-23-2012, 10:48 AM
I have no idea what your maintenance is and it sounds like you are not sure either. Calculate it using the formulas and go test it out for a couple of weeks and see if you gain/lose/maintain and make adjustments from there. The formulas are only a guide as people have different BMRs, exercise routines, etc.I did, and I think I am around 2400 but can you try the calculation for me and see if we get about the same number?

germaine07
03-23-2012, 10:51 AM
1. Work out your maintenance.
2. Multpily by 90%.
3. Follow this until weight loss stops.
4. Re-calculate.