PDA

View Full Version : New and need some advice

Hokie84
03-23-2012, 08:12 AM
New member and first time poster here. Found the forum searching for a multivitamin. A little back history. I was very skinny up until about 2005 weighing about 150lbs even at 6ft1. Around 2006 I got up to around 175. Since then it has been a downward spiral. 2007-2011 I got up to about 229, but it would always level out around that. Last year I started eating healthy and was going to the gym, and ended up getting down to 213. Once I got out of rhythm and got lazy again I am now topping out at 242lbs as of last week. This is the most I have ever weighed and just need some advice. Starting last Saturday I have cut out all fast food and fried food. Making healthier choices as far as eating, and drinking only water. Have been at least doing 1 mile+ in cardio everyday, whether its running, jogging, or walking around the block. Just need some ideas on a good way to cut weight, and get in shape. Another problem I have is I do not have any goals in sight as far as a weight I want to cut down to.

critterbug
03-23-2012, 08:22 AM
n4aHokie. :)

Read the stickies and figure out what questions you have after reading them. Seriously. They're very helpful.

Abbreviated version: Get an estimate of your maintenance calories; subtract 500 cals from that to figure out how many cals to eat per day. Eat at least 1g/protein per lb of body weight, lift heavy weights, and don't overestimate the value of those 1 milers you're throwing in there. That's just a starting point and you want to just gauge every couple of weeks and adjust as needed until you get where you want to be.