PDA

View Full Version : Interesting question on cheat meals!

cagedmussels
03-23-2012, 07:05 AM
Been lurking around for about a year and finally got round to getting registered.

I just wanted to question my logic about cheat meals. I get the science part of all of it, IE throwing your metabolism a curveball and keeping it from slowing down during a cutting cycle. Now with this, i understand alot of people will just accept having a cheat day etc etc, but would doing cardio after the cheat meal/day still give you the benefits of the calorie spike to the metabolism and still be able to hit your macros for the end of the day?

SuffolkPunch
03-23-2012, 07:10 AM
Been lurking around for about a year and finally got round to getting registered.

I just wanted to question my logic about cheat meals. I get the science part of all of it, IE throwing your metabolism a curveball and keeping it from slowing down during a cutting cycle. Now with this, i understand alot of people will just accept having a cheat day etc etc, but would doing cardio after the cheat meal/day still give you the benefits of the calorie spike to the metabolism and still be able to hit your macros for the end of the day?
There is not really any conclusive evidence that you can stop your metabolism dropping by having cheat meals - or that it does indeed drop due to dieting...

Cheat meals are mostly about psychological breaks. If you are low carbing, you might need a carb refeed day but this is different.

And cardio just burns calories, nothing more complicated than that.

germaine07
03-23-2012, 07:15 AM
You could always try fit cheat meals into your macros somehow. I find it better to remain at a constant low deficit when losing weight. I then don't find the need to 'cheat'. When you do the math, a bad day could undo all the hard work from during the week. If the math adds up however, feel free to indulge, if only to keep sanity. Hope i made sense.

cagedmussels
03-23-2012, 07:17 AM
There is not really any conclusive evidence that you can stop your metabolism dropping by having cheat meals - or that it does indeed drop due to dieting...
Really? I thought thats what caused slower weight loss as a diet progresses? Thanks for the info brah!

cagedmussels
03-23-2012, 07:18 AM
You could always try fit cheat meals into your macros somehow. I find it better to remain at a constant low deficit when losing weight. I then don't find the need to 'cheat'. When you do the math, a bad day could undo all the hard work from during the week. If the math adds up however, feel free to indulge, if only to keep sanity. Hope i made sense.
Yeah i knew thats the case, was just wondering about the metabolism side of thing, but obvs if thats untrue then this theory goes out the window! haha. Thanks anyway :)

germaine07
03-23-2012, 07:20 AM
Really? I thought thats what caused slower weight loss as a diet progresses? Thanks for the info brah!
Weight loss comes down to basic maths. At the end of the day what really matters is Calories In vs. Calories Out. When you think about it, 'cheating' would slow down weight loss if you consume too many calories as it would leave you with less of a net deficit. The main reason that people allow themselves to cheat is for sanity. If you deprive yourself of something you're only going to want it more. Also some people may see it as a reward or a treat. But take it too far and eat too much, weight loss will be hindered.

nobrah
03-23-2012, 07:22 AM
I get the science part of all of it, IE throwing your metabolism a curveball and keeping it from slowing down during a cutting cycle.

I wasn't aware there was any science behind that metabolic "curveball". ;) Cheat meals are a psychological thing.

SuffolkPunch
03-23-2012, 07:29 AM

Any 'slowdown' is generally caused by loss of tissue (especially if you lose muscle). IIRC, your thyroid output is only affected by pretty severe starvation conditions... I tried to look for articles but came up dry - bah.

Foadon
03-23-2012, 07:30 AM

its the continuous stream of exercise & stressing your body that keeps your metabolism in check IMO, aka "we cant stop now, we need to bench 200lbs again tonight! keep working and bring in the fat cells" </broscience> XD but seriously, thats how I see it. I don't like the thought of cheat meals too much but rather incorporate some healthy "cheating" in my plan instead. Right now I have a protein bar in as one of my meals, and is the closest thing to chocolate goodness I can take. Sure I can also work in a chocolate bar, but it would be harder

If your metabolism does end up stalling you out it's just a matter of going back to maintenance eating for a week or 2, and restarting cut imo