PDA

View Full Version : Is this goal realistic?

RyanFaro
03-22-2012, 05:53 PM
My goal is 8% body fat by August. I am currently 17%. I just started cutting 3 weeks ago.

I am currently following IIFYM, 2lb a week cut at 2100 calories a day. I am 20 years old, I lift 5 days a week. I have never cut before.

The only supplement I am using is an EC stack.

If it is not realistic, what is a realistic goal? I came to the nutrition section to ask because I am not sure who would know better, seeing as how I have never cut before and am unaware of goals regarding muscle loss and plateaus to take into account.

thanks so much

chameleonism
03-22-2012, 06:03 PM
So, you need to lose about 20lbs of fat? (based on 198lbs @ 17%). If that is the case, you don't need (and probably shouldn't) to cut 2lb/week. 1-1.5 lb/week would seem like a better option imo and still be in time for August.

RyanFaro
03-22-2012, 06:05 PM
So, you need to lose about 20lbs of fat? (based on 198lbs @ 17%). If that is the case, you don't need (and probably shouldn't) try to cut 2lb/week. 1-1.5 lb/week would seem like a better option imo and still be in time for August.

my only concern is muscle loss. I have no idea what I should expect to lose in ratio to fat. In a perfect world 20lb of fat would get me to where I want to be, but if its 17 fat, 3 muscle, then it won't. I am very uninformed in this regard.

snorkelman
03-22-2012, 06:35 PM
IMO it is not realistic, but possible. Assuming from your sign-in date and comments that you are a rank newbie, but not sure because that looks like a sh*%ton of weight you are deadlifting in your avi). You need to remember that the leaner you get, the harder and longer it tends to take, especially if you are trying to minimize muscle loss (which you should).

That being said, it is always good to strive for something challenging, but you need to be realistic about it

RyanFaro
03-22-2012, 06:39 PM
IMO it is not realistic, but possible. Assuming from your sign-in date and comments that you are a rank newbie, but not sure because that looks like a sh*%ton of weight you are deadlifting in your avi). You need to remember that the leaner you get, the harder and longer it tends to take, especially if you are trying to minimize muscle loss (which you should).

That being said, it is always good to strive for something challenging, but you need to be realistic about it

thanks man

yeah I am lifting a year this coming May, big three is above 1000 as of 2 months ago. Any advice or a better goal I can achieve?

Jesselorenzo
03-22-2012, 06:51 PM
A good idea is to eat many healthy fats(only from nuts and fish) and alot of proteins, and only 1 carb meal as preworkout meal(srs) this is probably one of the best ways to maintain most of your muscles and burn fat.

snorkelman
03-22-2012, 07:02 PM
If you currently are losing 2lb a week on 2100 calories a day and keeping your strength, then just stick with that until you either stop losing or strength falters. As you get leaner, you will need to adjust downward your caloric intake. Jesse has a point about reducing carbs as being the fat loss for dummies method, but there are many ways to skin a cat. Just keep your protein and fat within the ranges mentioned in the stickies and your calories where you calculate they need to be, and the carbs will take care of themselves. This is where you really realize there is no point in wasting your yummy carbs by drinking them in the asinine form of dextrose or some other nutrient-free empty calorie unless it is the occasional mood enhancer :)