PDA

View Full Version : Protein For Breakfast

gwnorth
03-17-2012, 08:08 PM
After spending a year dieting down and losing 52 lbs, I'm at a point where I can finally bring my calories up to maintenance. I'm slowly working my way up to about 1900 cals a day. When I was dieting, I found that using protein shakes helped me hit my protein targets while staying within my calorie deficit. Now that I can eat more, I'm looking for alternative sources of protein, especially for breakfast. I aim for 130-140 g of protein a day, and without the shakes I'm finding it tough. Breakfast is the meal where I'm short the most. I workout in the AM Mon-Fri and have to get the kids off to school. I don't have a lot of time to spend preparing breakfast and the thought of eating last night's leftovers is really unappealing.

Any ideas on easy ways to encorporate more protein into my breakfast? Ideally I'd like to get at least 20g. For the rest of the day I usually have greek yogurt with fruit in the PM as a snack which gives me 13g of protein and then a good sized portion of meat for dinner for about 40g. I also have a protein shake after my workout for 40g. Add in protein from odds and ends, and I'm up to around 100g. I plan on adding a small meal in the afternoon where I'll probably have eggs, chicken or tuna which should get me the rest of the way to my target.

Short of sticking with the shakes or eating a steak, I'm not sure what else to do. My trainer has recommended that I start eating oatmeal for breakfast on my workout days (which I make with milk), so someway of making my oatmeal pack more of a protein punch would be great.

dreahere
03-17-2012, 08:37 PM
Short of sticking with the shakes or eating a steak, I'm not sure what else to do. My trainer has recommended that I start eating oatmeal for breakfast on my workout days (which I make with milk), so someway of making my oatmeal pack more of a protein punch would be great.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but wouldn't the obvious answer be, um, proats (i.e. a scoop of whey in your oatmeal)? I hear some people just add egg whites to their oatmeal, but the thought of that's never appealed to me personally. I generally either eat proats or sludge (scoop of whey in either greek yogurt or ricotta cheese + peanut butter and/or fruit) for breakfast. Otherwise I also struggle with getting enough protein in the morning and then I'm playing catch up all day.

Edited to add: How could I forget? There's also the (in)famous NutForum low cal high protein cheesecake http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141848361&page=1 That makes some damn good breakfast too. ;)

illiniStrive
03-17-2012, 08:52 PM
I guess it depends on how much time you actually have. I've been known to make a breakfast sandwich (bread + fried eggs + ham + cheese) in rush before I run to class. If you like hard-boiled eggs (I personally don't :p) then that makes things even easier since you can prepare those the night before.

Cottage cheese is also requires pretty much no prep time.

But if you're specifically looking to protein-pack your oatmeal then dreahere nailed it with proatmeal.

Amanda76
03-17-2012, 08:52 PM
I've been mixing my oats with pasteurized egg whites as my liquid lately...equal amounts of egg whites to oats. Try this:

1. Squish 1 banana, 1T peanut or almond butter and cinnamon (to taste) together in a good-sized bowl with a fork.

2. Add 1/2 cup oats and 1/2 cup liquid egg whites to mixture and stir together.

3. Microwave for 1 minute and stir. Microwave for one more minute (keep an eye on this the first time to make sure you don't boil over).

This makes a creamy oatmeal that takes on the texture of a muffin top around the edges (play around with the cook time to get the texture you want). It tastes like banana nut bread! Approximately 415 calories, 24g protein, 58g carbs, 11g fat.

Protein pancakes are good for if you want to make something ahead of time, too...just reheat on the "defrost" setting of your microwave so you don't overcook when reheating. My base recipe is 113g pasturized egg whites, 113g 2% Daisy Cottage Cheese and 41g extra-thick rolled oats (you can tell how I was measuring when I first created this. LOL)...all blended in a blender. In the blender, this mixture will bubble up just like pancake batter and it cooks just like pancakes (they just don't turn out quite as fluffy).

The base will have you at about 306 calories, 32g protein, 32g carbs, and 5g fat. Flavor with fruit and nut combos. You can either blend them into the pancakes or fold them in (I suggest folding things like blueberries in unless you want blue pancakes. The kids might like that, though! LOL). I even played around with using sweet potato as my carb instead of oats, but never quite perfected that one.

Miranda
03-18-2012, 01:08 AM
if you're not too fussy about tagalong fats, my favourite is two poached eggs on 2 slices of whole-wheat toast with two slices of short-cut bacon. 25-30 grams protein right there.

Freak17
03-18-2012, 01:48 AM
Nothing beats having 4 egg whites omelette with cheddar cheese for breakfast! :-D I wake up, go to class, then lab then have breakfast to make sure I'm HUNGRY for it. <3

wakechica
03-18-2012, 04:41 AM
There's a recipe on bb.com for egg white french toast with Greek yoghurt. I have it on my MacBook and can post it later. It's nomz. Uses cinnamon Ezekiel bread.

toodlepip
03-18-2012, 07:11 AM
Don't knock the egg whites in oatmeal until you try it. I thought it sounded gross when I first heard about it and now I have it all the time.

I use slow cook/large flake/old fashioned oats - about half a cup, sometimes I'll have quinoa in it too, and cook with lots of water. I often just soak in water overnight - which absorbs a cup or so - and then cook in more water the following morning. After 20 minutes or so you have tons of oatmeal. Btw - don't forget a pinch of salt.

I then take off the heat and slowly stir in a cup of egg whites. Then I reheat - while stirring - for about half a minute.

There's no eggy taste at all. It's just a huge bowl of creamy oatmeal that has about 35 gr protein and only about 300ish cals. I mix in fruit or top with syrup, nuts, raisins...whatever.

I love it.

Also there's always omelettes - but with egg whites you can do a sweet variety which is more pancake like too. And there's protein pancakes - I make them with some ground oats, cottage chz, egg white, vanilla, cin and they are great.

Rowyn
03-18-2012, 08:10 AM
I am always in a rush in the mornings too, with kids and such. I will make either a big batch of steel cut oats flavored with Granny smith apples and cinammon/sweetener/vanilla, or a baked whole grain breakfast "casserole" (farro, Kamut, buckwheat, chia seeds, pumpkin, vanilla, cranberries, spices). I make them once a week and keep them in the fridge and scoop out a cup (or slice a square) every morning. To the oatmeal I add a little extra water before I heat it up and then a scoop of vanilla protein powder and 1 tb peanut butter after its hot. When I heat up the breakfast bake I pour a cup of egg whites over it and they cook along with it. I add peanut or almond butter and stir it up.

wolflikeme
03-18-2012, 08:37 AM
I love oatmeal pancakes!

Blend 1/2-1c oatmeal, 1sc PP of any flavour, egg & milk and then pour like a normal pancake batter. You can also use less milk and add in more cottage cheese or greek yogurt for a protein boost.

gwnorth
03-18-2012, 10:14 AM
There's a recipe on bb.com for egg white french toast with Greek yoghurt. I have it on my MacBook and can post it later. It's nomz. Uses cinnamon Ezekiel bread.

Yes please post. I love french toast.

gwnorth
03-18-2012, 10:15 AM
I love oatmeal pancakes!

Blend 1/2-1c oatmeal, 1sc PP of any flavour, egg & milk and then pour like a normal pancake batter. You can also use less milk and add in more cottage cheese or greek yogurt for a protein boost.

This sounds good too. Do you use regular oats or instant (or quick).

gwnorth
03-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Looks like pro-oats it is, at least during the week. As soon as I drop the kids off at school I'm off to the gym, so I don't want a heavy meal digesting while I'm working out.

Thanks for the recipie ideas. I think most would be more suited for the weekend, except the ones that can be made ahead, though I admit to not being much of a cook lol. Alternatively, I could try some for lunch after my workout.

wolflikeme
03-18-2012, 12:32 PM
I use both interchangeably - whatever's within reach.

This sounds good too. Do you use regular oats or instant (or quick).

If you're looking for it to be fast you can also make overnight oats (can be cooked or uncooked), which you pre-mix the night before and leave in the fridge until the morning. You can mix in stuff like egg and protein in the morning. I can find you a couple of recipes if you'd like!

I also like protein oatmeal cookies, which is 1sc protein, 60g oatmeal, 1 egg and 1 tbsp evoo/pb. Add in sweetener and fruit and you can put it in the oven for 10 minutes and they're done. Great for on the go and making ahead!

Looks like pro-oats it is, at least during the week. As soon as I drop the kids off at school I'm off to the gym, so I don't want a heavy meal digesting while I'm working out.

Thanks for the recipie ideas. I think most would be more suited for the weekend, except the ones that can be made ahead, though I admit to not being much of a cook lol. Alternatively, I could try some for lunch after my workout.

Paichka
03-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Overnight oats are awesome.

Overnight Oats
1/2 banana, mashed
1/3 cup milk (I use kefir for the probiotics)
1/3 cup greek yogurt
1/3 cup rolled oats
1 tbs flax seeds

Mix and put in the fridge overnight. In the morning, top with peanut butter and granola. Mmm.

My other favorite breakfast is chicken & apple hash over eggs. Dice up an apple and about a third cup of onion, stir in fresh rosemary and a little salt, cook over med-high heat in olive or coconut oil until transluscent. Add a tbs of maple syrup, stir well, then add a pound of ground chicken. Cook until nicely browned. Serves four. We had this for dinner last night (over sweet potatoes), and I scrambled the leftovers this morning with eggs. Quick and delicious, and loaded with protein.

SilverSun
03-18-2012, 02:35 PM
My other favorite breakfast is chicken & apple hash over eggs. Dice up an apple and about a third cup of onion, stir in fresh rosemary and a little salt, cook over med-high heat in olive or coconut oil until transluscent. Add a tbs of maple syrup, stir well, then add a pound of ground chicken. Cook until nicely browned. Serves four. We had this for dinner last night (over sweet potatoes), and I scrambled the leftovers this morning with eggs. Quick and delicious, and loaded with protein.

This sounds delicious. I'll definitely need to try that this week!

CathyVee
03-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Any ideas on easy ways to encorporate more protein into my breakfast? Ideally I'd like to get at least 20g. For the rest of the day I usually have greek yogurt with fruit in the PM as a snack which gives me 13g of protein

What brand of Greek yogurt are you eating? 13 grams of protein sounds like a pretty small portion. I like the Trader Joe's brand because a serving has 25 grams. An 8 oz serving of F*ge has 23 grams. The individual cups are only 20 grams so you'd have to buy the larger 16 or 32 oz size and portion it out. For sweetening, you could add your own fruit or honey.

Agree with the suggestion of proats. With all my other mix-ins, my proats end up containing 31 grams of protein. My other go-to breakfast is scrambled eggs and peppers, center cut bacon and and an Ezekiel English muffin. Total protein on that one is 40 grams.

Rowyn
03-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Or you can swap the Greek yogurt "snack" and turn it into your breakfast when you are pressed for time. Eat a bit more at one sitting and add berries and nuts. Or blend into a shake.

Amanda76
03-18-2012, 07:36 PM
I am always in a rush in the mornings too, with kids and such. I will make either a big batch of steel cut oats flavored with Granny smith apples and cinammon/sweetener/vanilla, or a baked whole grain breakfast "casserole" (farro, Kamut, buckwheat, chia seeds, pumpkin, vanilla, cranberries, spices). I make them once a week and keep them in the fridge and scoop out a cup (or slice a square) every morning. To the oatmeal I add a little extra water before I heat it up and then a scoop of vanilla protein powder and 1 tb peanut butter after its hot. When I heat up the breakfast bake I pour a cup of egg whites over it and they cook along with it. I add peanut or almond butter and stir it up.

That sounds amazing!

wakechica
03-19-2012, 02:57 AM
Don't knock the egg whites in oatmeal until you try it. I thought it sounded gross when I first heard about it and now I have it all the time.

I use slow cook/large flake/old fashioned oats - about half a cup, sometimes I'll have quinoa in it too, and cook with lots of water. I often just soak in water overnight - which absorbs a cup or so - and then cook in more water the following morning. After 20 minutes or so you have tons of oatmeal. Btw - don't forget a pinch of salt.

I then take off the heat and slowly stir in a cup of egg whites. Then I reheat - while stirring - for about half a minute.

There's no eggy taste at all. It's just a huge bowl of creamy oatmeal that has about 35 gr protein and only about 300ish cals. I mix in fruit or top with syrup, nuts, raisins...whatever.

I love it.

Also there's always omelettes - but with egg whites you can do a sweet variety which is more pancake like too. And there's protein pancakes - I make them with some ground oats, cottage chz, egg white, vanilla, cin and they are great.

I have a bit of a phobia about eggs and egg based savory food such as flans/quiche (I'll eat choc mousse though... go figure). I force fed myself egg white french toast and I could not taste any egg. And I actually REALLY like it. I do proats at the moment but thinking on trying liquid egg whites in for a change.

gwnorth
03-19-2012, 04:41 PM
What brand of Greek yogurt are you eating? 13 grams of protein sounds like a pretty small portion.

The yogurt is high in protein, 18 g protein for 175g serving but I've only been eating 125g. Now that I can increase my cals though, I can go for a full serving.

gwnorth
03-19-2012, 04:48 PM
So I tried adding 1 scoop of protein to my oatmeal this morning, and another scoop in my coffee. The coffee was ok, but I couldn't finish the oatmeal. Part of the problem is I'm not used to eating dense food that early in the morning. My stomach needs to get used to it. The other thing is I think I need to add more milk or maybe water to my oatmeal. I use an instant that has 6g of fibre and once I added the protein powder it was really really thick.

This weekend I think I'll try adding egg whites and see how that goes as the whole point is really to reduce the amount of protein powder I'm using.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I'm not much of a cook, but I'm looking forward to trying out some of the ideas.

latebloomingmom
03-26-2012, 10:51 AM
looking for some high protein breakfast ideas...are eggs really the only option?
I have been doing steel cut oats and a whey shake but...need something new..

Paichka
03-26-2012, 11:08 AM
looking for some high protein breakfast ideas...are eggs really the only option?
I have been doing steel cut oats and a whey shake but...need something new..

Nope, eggs aren't the only option. You could try greek yogurt, which has something like 20 grams of protein per serving (depending on the brand) or cottage cheese (same). You could also eat non-breakfast foods. Hash (potatoes + ground beef/chicken/or sausage) is good -- I generally top mine with eggs, but you don't have to at all.

lotusdeva
03-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Oatmeal (1 cup), 2 tbs of peanut butter, 2 scoops of EAS vanilla whey protein powder, 1/2 cup of bluberies and 1 cup of almond milk. Sooooooooo good!

Protein - 63.3g
Carbs - 77.5g
Fat - 26.5

Takes like 10 min to make!

p.s I am doing IF and bulking. I also add 2 slices of Ezekiel bread for more carbs.

daanaaa
03-28-2012, 08:41 PM
I mix cold oatmeal with vanilla protein & water and then shove in tons of frozen berries.
The vanilla protein almost tastes like vanilla yogurt, the oatmeal-granola, and the frozen berries make it cold and are sooo tasty!
You should really try it :D I eat it about 3x a day!

KPainter70
03-28-2012, 08:46 PM
I sometimes swap out quinoa for oats in the morning. It's not a bad source of protein if the carbs aren't a problem. I make it with almond milk, cinnamon, a little nutmeg, a drop of vanilla and some sweetener. I swear it tastes like rice pudding.