PDA

View Full Version : Probably a dumb question about water retention...

CrownMe
03-15-2012, 07:50 PM
I am pretty lean but I have a little bulge underneath my abs (lulz this sounds funny when I read it back to myself). Anyway it is nothing really noticeable but every now and them i will drink heavy. Usually just straight liquor. The next morning it is gone and I am lean as fuuuuuuu. Now I know alcohol dehydrates you but why can't I keep this water weight off. I drink more than a gallon of water a day. I have also tried eating low carbs and it doesn't help. The funny thing is it is only that one area and I'm pretty vascular everywhere else. In fact, I have veins popping in that very spot where I'm holding the water at. I read a post awhile back where a guy low dosed dandelion root indefinitely to keep water weight off. I might try that. I dunno lol. Any suggestions?

CrownMe
03-15-2012, 09:49 PM
I guess my question was dumber than I thought :(

SwoleMe
03-15-2012, 10:03 PM
I am pretty lean but I have a little bulge underneath my abs (lulz this sounds funny when I read it back to myself). Anyway it is nothing really noticeable but every now and them i will drink heavy. Usually just straight liquor. The next morning it is gone and I am lean as fuuuuuuu. Now I know alcohol dehydrates you but why can't I keep this water weight off. I drink more than a gallon of water a day. I have also tried eating low carbs and it doesn't help. The funny thing is it is only that one area and I'm pretty vascular everywhere else. In fact, I have veins popping in that very spot where I'm holding the water at. I read a post awhile back where a guy low dosed dandelion root indefinitely to keep water weight off. I might try that. I dunno lol. Any suggestions?

The answer is right there
1) it dehydrates you
2) you become rehydrated so regain water...

You don't want to be dehydrated

thegymbum
03-15-2012, 10:20 PM
Now I know alcohol dehydrates you but why can't I keep this water weight off. I drink more than a gallon of water a day.

Um, duh? You can't figure out that putting water into your body rehydrates you? The "solution" to your hydration "problem" would be not drinking enough water. Which would be dangerous, detrimental to your gains, and stupid. btw keep in mind that alcohol really helps to skew your body composition towards less muscle/more fat. Maybe you could try going to AA or even rehab. I'm not kidding.

CrownMe
03-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Um, duh? You can't figure out that putting water into your body rehydrates you? The "solution" to your hydration "problem" would be not drinking enough water. Which would be dangerous, detrimental to your gains, and stupid. btw keep in mind that alcohol really helps to skew your body composition towards less muscle/more fat. Maybe you could try going to AA or even rehab. I'm not kidding.

Jeeeeez are you serious? I said every now and then I will drink heavy and now I need AA or rehab? Pls go. I think it's obvious I don't have a drinking problem. Obviously I know drinking water rehydrates me. You are missing the point. I know guys who are as lean as me and don't have this problem. It just seems like I hold more water in that one spot than I should be considering how lean I am. The only reason I used the alcohol is because that is how I know it is water and not fat. Jeeeez.

foodandfitness
03-15-2012, 10:52 PM
OP,

What is the issue really? If you're going shirtless for a day, then booze it up the night before. If not, why do you have to constantly look as lean as possible? It's not healthy to be dehydrated, but if you don't care about that then you can do whatever you want to cause a diuretic effect on your kidneys... caffeine, alcohol, diuretics... have at it. Looking at your avi, you look plenty lean to me.

CrownMe
03-15-2012, 10:59 PM
OP,

What is the issue really? If you're going shirtless for a day, then booze it up the night before. If not, why do you have to constantly look as lean as possible? It's not healthy to be dehydrated, but if you don't care about that then you can do whatever you want to cause a diuretic effect on your kidneys... caffeine, alcohol, diuretics... have at it. Looking at your avi, you look plenty lean to me.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr......you guys are missing the point. I drink almost two gallons of water a day. Where in my post did I say I was trying to dehydrate myself? Maybe I should have posted this in the contest prep section instead and I would have had better luck. I am just curious why I only hold water in the one spot and how to get rid of it becuase I know it's possible and maybe somebody was experiencing the same thing. You guys are making it seem like I'm an alchi who want to stop drinking water and dehydrate and kill myself.

foodandfitness
03-15-2012, 11:17 PM
Grrrrrrrrrrrr......you guys are missing the point. I drink almost two gallons of water a day. Where in my post did I say I was trying to dehydrate myself? Maybe I should have posted this in the contest prep section instead and I would have had better luck. I am just curious why I only hold water in the one spot and how to get rid of it becuase I know it's possible and maybe somebody was experiencing the same thing. You guys are making it seem like I'm an alchi who want to stop drinking water and dehydrate and kill myself.

I'm not missing the point. You are retaining water. The only way to un-retain that water is to get rid of it. AKA dehydrate. This isn't a morality contest, I don't care what you do, but if you are holding water and you don't like it, you have to deplete it. I personally love booze, gambling, and the company of loose women... just sayin'

Contest prep is about looking good for a day. Those guys don't maintain that look for very long. Its sounding like you want to maintain that look every day forever.

I'm not sure why you are retaining water just around the abdomen. Some of that bloating could be from food in your GI. People tend to just hold a little bit of water around that area.

CrownMe
03-15-2012, 11:23 PM
I'm not missing the point. You are retaining water. The only way to un-retain that water is to get rid of it. AKA dehydrate. This isn't a morality contest, I don't care what you do, but if you are holding water and you don't like it, you have to deplete it. I personally love booze, gambling, and the company of loose women... just sayin'

Contest prep is about looking good for a day. Those guys don't maintain that look for very long. Its sounding like you want to maintain that look every day forever.

I'm not sure why you are retaining water just around the abdomen. Some of that bloating could be from food in your GI. People tend to just hold a little bit of water around that area.

Ty, I appreciate the response. I'm not trying to be 5 percent bf and shredded though. That kind of conditioning is short term. I'm happy with how lean I am. That is not the problem. I was just feeling like I am holding an abnormal amount of water in that area that is all. It more like being bloated I guess. So I wouldn't consider losing that dehydrating but I could be wrong I guess. And I thought about the food in the GI before but I don't think that's it.

CrownMe
03-15-2012, 11:25 PM
OP

I feel your pain. I also drink a crap load of water every day but sometimes it's just impossible to get rid of that "bulge". For me personally, I sometimes have minor freak outs before shoots because I need to look as lean as possible so I try not eating too much carbs and drinkin more water but that sometimes doesn't work. And not drinking water def does not help either.

I'm not alone! :)

AlwaysTryin
03-16-2012, 12:00 AM
Also people who claim they are holding water simply still have fat to lose

CrownMe
03-16-2012, 12:18 AM

True....but I'm positive that is not my problem.

mikehh
03-16-2012, 04:59 AM
Firstly, im sure the OP can lose a healthy amount of water without becoming dehydrated.

Secondly, salty foods cause water retention, and milk can cause 'bloating'. I'm no nutrition expert, but it's most likely due to your diet. Also maybe you can try to eat smaller portions so you don't expand your stomach.

You might be lactose intolerant for milk, and maybe try a forum search for 'foods the bloat', who knows ;)

psychodiver9
03-16-2012, 05:43 AM

I still have a handful of water I can grab hanging over my abs. Wut do?

Javid_Shanghai
03-16-2012, 05:48 AM
Firstly, im sure the OP can lose a healthy amount of water without becoming dehydrated.

Secondly, salty foods cause water retention, and milk can cause 'bloating'. I'm no nutrition expert, but it's most likely due to your diet. Also maybe you can try to eat smaller portions so you don't expand your stomach.

You might be lactose intolerant for milk, and maybe try a forum search for 'foods the bloat', who knows ;)
this, I used to have same issues, then I started to zigzag with daily water intake and it simply worked. Its like pre-contest diet; water, carbs, sodium/potassium manipulation. So just give a try and see.

Flex500
03-16-2012, 06:12 AM

it is the same idea when getting ready for a show. You are not going to look optimal all the time. You have to time it right for a show so you are full but without holding water. The last 4 weeks of contest prep I pretty much competely cut carbs...you won't hold water if you drink a lot and cut carbs...you just won't. The problem with that is you will look flat. You may think you are holding water...but in reality your muscles just aren't full.

On a day to day basis the best way I have seen for a lean, muscular, person to look their best is to drink a crap load of water 1-2 gallons, take in a fair amount of caffeine 200-400mgs a day, and eat a moderate to low carb diet.

Again every day when you are super lean for a show you see a similar effect. I eat most of my carbs around teh workout and by the end of the day I am holding water...I wake up in the morning after not drinking and not having carbs for 8 hours and i'm MUCH more defined. It's just the way it is. You can't always stay in that state. When you are lean also you see those changes more as holding a little bit of water is visible and noticeable when you are 10% bf or less...when people are bulking ant 15%+ they usually don't even notice.