PDA

View Full Version : Can a girl Eat TOO much if she has a high metabolism?? Srry this is long!

Alicia556
03-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Hi Everyone,
I've just started eating a balanced diet and training at the gym. My goal is to gain 5lbs of muscle and lose 5lbs of fat. I'm currently obsessing over my nutrition plan, because I feel as if I might be over eating?? The thing is I have a pretty high metabolism. Up until now my diet consisted of all junk food with a carrot here and there.. LOL. I'm 5"3 and 108lbs. 25yr old female. I never gain weight. Or lose..since I've never had a healthy regimen.

For the past two weeks I've averaged roughly 2000 calories per day and 150g protein. I don't feel overly full, but just satisfied. I feel like if I ate less I would be hungry! Here is a typical day for me, keep in mind I am new at this so it might not be so perfect =\
Breakfast: 1/3 Cup Oats w flax and 2/3 Cup 1% Milk and 1 banana
Snack: 1 slice whole grain bread with 1 tbsp almond butter and 1 tbsp organic blackbrry jam- low sugar
Lunch: 1 Cup raw veggies/Hummus 1 small salmon fillet and 1/2 cup brown rice with steamed veggies
Snack: 1/4 Cup Trail Mix with 3 slices Turkey Breast
Supper: 2 slices turkey bacon, 1 Whole egg, 2 whites, 1 tbsp salsa, 1/2 Cup Quinoa, Spinach

Before my work out I have an Iso Sensation Protein Shk - 130 cal and about 30g protein.
After my workout I have another protein shake with 16oz milk. This one (don't laugh) is a mass gainer..yup. I told the guy at the store my goals and that I have a pretty high metabolism and this is what he recommended me. It is chocolate brownie flavoured and well... It's delicious LOL. But I only use 1 scoop vs the 3 that it recommends. So with the milk it is about 483 Calories.

One last thing, I'm doing the Live Fit program, just started yesterday. So for this first month I am lifting weights and only doing 5min cardio to warm up.

Thanks for your help!! Just wanna make sure I don't gain fat and that I get some lean muscle. :)

andrerox80
03-14-2012, 05:12 PM
"fast metabolism" = undereating (or, less likely but possible, hyperthyroidism). you can eat fast food and still be undereating. check out the sticky on calculating cals and macro's and figure out your maintenance and then your surplus from there. i'd also read training prgm basics. i have nothing against jamie eason, but i'm not that impressed by the live fit prgm. i think a good, 3 day, fb workout would be good. but if live fit works for you, it's definitely better than going into the weight room willy-nilly, i guess.

Hi Everyone,
I've just started eating a balanced diet and training at the gym. My goal is to gain 5lbs of muscle and lose 5lbs of fat. I'm currently obsessing over my nutrition plan, because I feel as if I might be over eating?? The thing is I have a pretty high metabolism. Up until now my diet consisted of all junk food with a carrot here and there.. LOL. I'm 5"3 and 108lbs. 25yr old female. I never gain weight. Or lose..since I've never had a healthy regimen.

For the past two weeks I've averaged roughly 2000 calories per day and 150g protein. I don't feel overly full, but just satisfied. I feel like if I ate less I would be hungry! Here is a typical day for me, keep in mind I am new at this so it might not be so perfect =\
Breakfast: 1/3 Cup Oats w flax and 2/3 Cup 1% Milk and 1 banana
Snack: 1 slice whole grain bread with 1 tbsp almond butter and 1 tbsp organic blackbrry jam- low sugar
Lunch: 1 Cup raw veggies/Hummus 1 small salmon fillet and 1/2 cup brown rice with steamed veggies
Snack: 1/4 Cup Trail Mix with 3 slices Turkey Breast
Supper: 2 slices turkey bacon, 1 Whole egg, 2 whites, 1 tbsp salsa, 1/2 Cup Quinoa, Spinach

Before my work out I have an Iso Sensation Protein Shk - 130 cal and about 30g protein.
After my workout I have another protein shake with 16oz milk. This one (don't laugh) is a mass gainer..yup. I told the guy at the store my goals and that I have a pretty high metabolism and this is what he recommended me. It is chocolate brownie flavoured and well... It's delicious LOL. But I only use 1 scoop vs the 3 that it recommends. So with the milk it is about 483 Calories.

One last thing, I'm doing the Live Fit program, just started yesterday. So for this first month I am lifting weights and only doing 5min cardio to warm up.

Thanks for your help!! Just wanna make sure I don't gain fat and that I get some lean muscle. :)

ClassickQC
03-14-2012, 05:16 PM
In the end, it is all about calories in vs calories out. Even though your diet all consisted of junk food before, the fact that you didn't gain weight maybe has nothing to do with having a ''high metabolism''. I could eat 2 Big Mac trios a day and not gain weight simply because the total calorie count would still be under my maintenance (of course the fats are high and I would not hit my protein goal, it isn't healthy but you get the point :) )

If you want to gain (in your case you said you want to gain muscle) you need to be eating higher than your maintenance. Of course if you want to lose you need to eat under it. I am not expert in bulking but I do know your calories need to be higher than maintenance to build muscle. From what I have read about it, you will gain some fat along and that is why a bulk is normally followed by a cut.

Maybe check the bulking thread http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=128051673

Also, it might be a good idea to calculate your calories/macros using this thread : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703921

As for the program your are following, I personally don't like it much, and think you would benefit from SS or NROLF, but that's just me!

@ Andrerox, darn, it took me so long to actually post this, you beat me to it lol :)

andrerox80
03-15-2012, 04:45 PM
In the end, it is all about calories in vs calories out. Even though your diet all consisted of junk food before, the fact that you didn't gain weight maybe has nothing to do with having a ''high metabolism''. I could eat 2 Big Mac trios a day and not gain weight simply because the total calorie count would still be under my maintenance (of course the fats are high and I would not hit my protein goal, it isn't healthy but you get the point :) )

If you want to gain (in your case you said you want to gain muscle) you need to be eating higher than your maintenance. Of course if you want to lose you need to eat under it. I am not expert in bulking but I do know your calories need to be higher than maintenance to build muscle. From what I have read about it, you will gain some fat along and that is why a bulk is normally followed by a cut.

Maybe check the bulking thread http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=128051673

Also, it might be a good idea to calculate your calories/macros using this thread : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703921

As for the program your are following, I personally don't like it much, and think you would benefit from SS or NROLF, but that's just me!

@ Andrerox, darn, it took me so long to actually post this, you beat me to it lol :)

haha, at least i know someone agrees w/ me ;) funny how we pretty much said exactly the same thing. i'm also so befuddled as to why so many noobs pick jamie's workout and/or nutrition prgms. they won't get you to have her body!

ClassickQC
03-15-2012, 05:01 PM
haha, at least i know someone agrees w/ me ;) funny how we pretty much said exactly the same thing. i'm also so befuddled as to why so many noobs pick jamie's workout and/or nutrition prgms. they won't get you to have her body!

I am thinking it's exactly because they see her image and obviously you would think she followed her own program to get those results (which I actually don't think is the case, to be honest)

There are some obvious flaws in her ''diet'' included with the program but for someone who hasn't been here long enough to have read the stickies and most of the recurring posts, it's easy to fall for it. I am not saying her program/plan/diet is awful but there is so much more that can be done and so much better results than can be achieved lol

wakechica
03-16-2012, 03:51 AM

Yeah a lot of people seem to be doing it... she's got her marketing good anyways.