PDA

View Full Version : Symmetry for Figure

elhall84
03-13-2012, 10:36 PM
I will be competing in my first figure competition in 8 weeks and have looked at how they judge etc...

My legs (esp calves) are not symmetrical.(have been that way since HS) I have tried to do random calf raises when standing and even threw in extra sets for my left leg. I don't see anything helping.

Is this going to make or break my chances in Figure?

Frustrated...

megdaig
03-14-2012, 05:56 AM
Are you saying symmetrical as in size differences or simply shape? I guess when you think about it, there are a lot of people out there with asymmetric abs (where the cuts don't line up) and I suppose they do fine.

I have a similar issue where my right quad is smaller than the left since I had ACL reconstruction last August, it's not AS noticeable now but I believe (or hope) that it won't completely "break" my chances of doing well. This is where stage presence and posing can come in to play.

This is what seasons are for. After your competition, ask all of the judges how they scored you and where you need work and focus on this during the next cycle. If you know your calves are an issue, add that to the area of focus. But for now, keep doing what you're doing, maybe change up the training for the calves, but don't fret about it come competition time and just take what you have and make it look good. And if you ever really pay attention, there can be quite a lack of calve development especially in some of the smaller/amateur shows.

lilramm
03-14-2012, 07:34 AM
Calves suck!!! They are so hard to grow! But for your asymmetrical calves, you could probably pose to make them look even, flex one more than the other on the back pose... etc. Good luck! I have my first show in June and my calves are tiny (14"), but i'm competing anyway ;)

elhall84
03-18-2012, 04:41 PM
They are different in size. I have tried doing more sets, weight etc, but see no results. I will have to take your advice and try to pose differently!

kimm4
03-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Symmetry in figure is more of an overall balance between your upper/lower body. We all have the smaller flaws, my right delt is a bit bigger then my left, my right quad is bigger then my left...you get the idea. The more you practice with your posing, you will learn to master and hide the flaws...it's all about creating an illusion to present a better package.

An uneven calf would be the least of my worries...;)

Good luck.

darins
03-18-2012, 05:38 PM
It depends on just how asymmetrical you are - I'm going to guess it's slight, which may be imperceptible to the eye. If it's not, definitely try out different foot positioning, twisting of the hips and torso, and various states of flexing and being relaxed. Identify the poses (thankfully you've only got 4 to worry about) where it's most obvious and spend more time there, with the help of another person with good eyes.

In 8 weeks you're not going to correct much, so it's all about hiding it. Plan your off-season or between-show time well, put in some serious work, and slowly progress towards fixing it.

fitmama09
03-19-2012, 08:18 AM
Ill be competing in figure in Oct for the first time and I have the same worries! Good Luck though! We all work very hard to be where we are and I think they are right with the posing comments. I was at the NPC Midwest show on Sat and the girls looked amazing! Def some tough compeition but I'm sure you'll do great! If you dont have a posing coach yet get one!