PDA

View Full Version : Kicked Breast Cancers ASS! Now I need appropriate supplement advice :)

jojoroo
03-13-2012, 02:18 PM
I just wrapped up 6 months of chemo treatment for breast cancer, a double mastectomy, and am beginning radiation for precautionary purposes. I'm healthy, young, active, eat clean, and work out regularly. Cancer is a bastard but I won. Now, It's back on to really amping up the training as I couldn't quite do what I wanted throughout treatment. I tried but had to listen to my body. Between the drugs adding on water weight, a few extra pounds in general, feeling flabby from lack of weight training, and being extremely impatient with wanting it gone, I need some advice.
Prior to this nonsense, I was taking thermogenics with my vitamins and amino acids. Now, due to the breast cancer enjoying estrogen and progesterone, many of these things are off limits. I'll be starting Tamoxifen in a month but need some advice on what type of thermogenics I could use that will help get a few extra pounds off and give me the energy boost I need to get into the swing of things that won't interfere with my medication.
My doctor is fantastic but his advice along with wanting to put a leash on me is to let my body heal...blah blah blah, it'll come off yada yada yada. (I'm not a great listener when it comes to limitations.)
I know there are other women who must be like-minded or people in general who have some knowledge in this arena. My goal is to get this battle-fighting body in the best shape I've ever been in and build a beautiful mantle for my recontruction
I eat well but could probably tweak my diet to more small meals. I cook with coconut oil and I'm currently taking vit D, omegas, CLA, a multi-vit, amino acids, and coq10. I take a melatonin at night because I don't sleep worth a crap. I want to lose about 15 pounds. I'm not looking for an instant fix but definetly would like some help.
Someone, ANYONE!!!! Help a girl out puulleeeeeeeze :)

danap3681
03-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Not much on advice as I am still learning... but congrats on the ass kicking and I hope the future holds nothing but wonderful blessings for you!

CANCER SUCKS!

freebirdmac
03-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Congrats for kicking cancer's ass!!!

Now to kick yours :p Listen to your doctor!!! Trying to workout too soon is not what you want to do. In the long run it can hamper your recovery and your desire to progress. There are very good reasons for following his/her orders as to when you can workout and what you can do.

As for sups, none are needed. You don't need any kind of thermogenic. Diet will take care of everything. Along with patience! You can lose fat without working out. I'd go no more than 1 pound a week so you can retain the lean mass you currently have. Even half of that would be fine. Especially since you are recovering and your body needs fuel to do that. Here's another thing to ask your doctor. Living with fat is not so bad when you consider what you're recovering from. It won't last forever!

I get you're done and want to move on. But you have got to use your head. Your body isn't ready yet.

thecooliocooler
03-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Grats :D!!

foresail
03-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Prior to this nonsense, I was taking thermogenics with my vitamins and amino acids. Now, due to the breast cancer enjoying estrogen and progesterone, many of these things are off limits. I'll be starting Tamoxifen in a month but need some advice on what type of thermogenics I could use that will help get a few extra pounds off and give me the energy boost I need to get into the swing of things that won't interfere with my medication....I'm currently taking vit D, omegas, CLA, a multi-vit, amino acids, and coq10. I take a melatonin at night because I don't sleep worth a crap.
Congrats on winning the battle! I agree with freebirdmac’s post above.

Your local pharmacist is a great (yet underutilized) resource for checking whether something negatively interacts with a medication, supplement, or stack of them. This service is free. (S)he learns this stuff in school and has access to databases containing the most current info. Simply tell him/her your medical issues and provide a list of what supplements and meds you’re taking.

jojoroo
03-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the feedback :)